Gil Brandt article on Texans camp

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jdog, Aug 9, 2006.

1. jdog

jdog All Pro

2. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Good article. And we finally get some credit for drafting Mario from someone other than Michael Smith.

3. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Nice.

He thinks Mario was the better pick than Bush, and that the Texans have an outside shot at making the playoffs.

4. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

"The Texans are going to be a better team. They have a chance to make the playoffs" :shocked :hmmm: :shots:

5. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

Nice to hear some national guys saying we have a playoff shot.

6. jdog

jdog All Pro

...and a Cowboys guy too. Unbelievable!

7. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

I have a feeling unless we have an absolute meltdown in the Philly game, Alot of people are gonna change their tune about us.

8. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

R-E-S-P-E-C-T ! Can you believe it? From a national media source, feels good for a change.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Forgot about that.

[​IMG]

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

There is nothing in his statement I can argue with. I also feel they have a slim chance of getting into the 9-7 range, and that could be enough to at least sniff a wildcard spot. It's not exactly going out on a limb suggesting they have a slight chance of making the playoffs. The safer bet is they will win 6 or 7, and climb a few rungs up the ladder, and next year we should see a real contender. Nice piece and thanks for sharing. :)

11. Str8tupg42k1

Str8tupg42k1 Veteran

i think i feel a tear coming out my eye.lol

j/k, it's nice to read something positive by the national media.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

It feels good to finally start reading some positive spins about the Texans (other than local sources).

I'd be extremely happy to have a winning record this season, much less a shot at the playoffs. While I think we have a lot of potential, I'm still grounded by the fact that we have not addressed all of our pressing needs. It'll take time to build a winning franchise, but there is always the foundation (which is this year for us).

13. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

I will not lie.That article turned me on.:drool:

14. jdog

jdog All Pro

Me too, and I was really excited before I read it. Now I am way too excited.

15. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

"Running back Domanick Davis is a question mark due to injuries. He might not gain 1,000 yards this season, but Houston should be fine with a running back by committee. Despite uncertainty at the position, though, I still think they made the right decision by taking Williams over Reggie Bush with the top pick in the draft."
    _____

Brandt is generally solid - this article is no different.

Obviously we have a huge hole at RB without Dom Davis -- can Morency step it up into the starting roll if DD is in and out of the line up all season? Can he take over all together? Many questions about the RB position, but the defense and WR core look very solid.

16. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

I don't know about anybody else, but I sent it to EVERY Dallas Cowboys fan I know....LOL I especially highlighted where he said we had a chance to make playoffs and how we will suprise some people. I can hear the groans already (especially since he is so revered by Cowboys fans).:fans: :texans: :gotexans1

17. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

Depending on the roster cuts and who emreges as the return guy, I would throw special teams into the strengths of the teams also. The kickers are solid and the talent is there as well.

I am a little surprised no one is talking about the leadership voids of the Texans division rivals. More wins should be possible just with the absense of SMcNair, EJames, and JSmith.

quicksilver likes this.
  18. jdog

jdog All Pro

Good point. It is a great time to shake things up in the division. :bananasplit:

19. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

Of course, at the end of the year when Mario is crowned Defensive rookie of the year and the Texans are heading to their first ever playoff spot EVERY national sportswriter will be saying they knew all along the Texans were smart to pick Mario over Bush.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I'd say this is easily one of the most encouraging evaluations of the Texans
    and their prospects for the year because of the articles author - Gil Brandt.
    This is anything but spin from a Texans insider because Brandt is independant, knowledgeable, established, and highly regarded by most who follow the NFL.