Giant's Draft Pick In Serious Car Accident

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by StarStruck, Jun 25, 2010.

1. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5327381
    Giants draft pick Jones seriously injured in auto accident

I hope this turns out better than it sounds. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

2. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

PFT is reporting that, at this point, they're trying to save the leg.

He was a heck of a player and I enjoyed watching him in college.... praying for that leg now. Screw football, just let him walk normally.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

4. Section516

Section516 Warrior

http://www.wwltv.com/

Video of him being pulled from vehicle.

Also, this guy was at one time drafted by the Astros.

5. StarStruck

OMG! That picture makes me wonder how he even came out alive.

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

7. Section516

Section516 Warrior

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

He was a third round pick in case anyone was wondering.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Best wishes to him. Football or not I hope he just makes it out alright.

10. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

Damn, that really sucks for him! Im sure all giants fans are upset right now as well. I hope his leg recovers well.

11. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

What a horrific scene. I hope and pray that young man recovers. Very sad.

12. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    This is truely sad. A promising career over before he had a chance to play a snap in the NFL? In one of the first reports the Drs. were concerned about saving his leg now appears they were able to restore proper blood flow to the ankle. Anyone with a medical background able to give us a educated guess as to whether he'll play again with this little information?

Showtime100 likes this.
  13. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

Here is an even bigger photo...I'm surprised he's still alive.

[​IMG]

However, this post from another forum sums up my views on this matter fairly well...

:kitten:

14. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

There is certainly more to this story than meets the eye. I fear alcohol played a role in this case.

15. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Sorry, not feeling the love. I'm just glad he didn't mow down someone's baby in the process of acting like a self-indulgent primadonna. Seriousely, how fast do you have to be driving to get in a wreck that looks like that? If you play with matches, don't be surprised when you get burned. I do hope he keeps his leg, but I could care less if he ever plays football again. Let's hope he learned a lesson.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Maybe people should get off their high horses and wait until the facts come out. The truck rolled.

From PFT.com.

I've seen many people on bikes and motorcycles go down on rails. People that feel all safe in SUV's should take this to heart. They suck at evasive maneuvers. Sounds like he overreacted and flipped.

17. StarStruck

I had a SUV a number of years ago and seem to recall a warning on the visor about sudden turns could cause a rollover, or something to that effect.

Also, I thought that you don't really have to be going too fast if a moving object hits one that is firmly planted.

It is unfortunate that the crash happened, and I hope that dispite such a horrific injury he has a full recovery.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

From the partial descriptions of the injuries available and the appearance of the car, I would say that he sustained a crush subtotal amputation of the lower leg. I've taken care of many.........and it would be a terrible injury.

In many cases, due to the crush nature of the accident, the damaged segment of nerves, arteries and veins require removal since these segments commonly do not survive if they are hooked back together (That would mean that the hook up would disrupt and leak or clot.....either way precluding needed blood supply to the more distant portions of the leg.). If the segments requiring hook up cannot be pulled together without undue tension on the repair, nerve and/or vascular grafts must be interposed to bridge the areas to reinstitute continuity (blood flow, etc.). However now you have two seams to worry about leaking or clotting. In addition, some tissues that appear undamaged can later demarcate themselves as damaged and can create delayed failure. Crushed muscle can also commonly later die and scarify.

Crush injuries do not usually result in clean individual bone breaks.........more like dropping a large glass and trying to piece it back together. Re-establishing initial blood flow is a commendable feat, but is not assurance that amputation will not be necessary later down the line.

If the leg does survive, he will have many obstacles and challenges to his recover, which can be expected to be measured in years. Will the remaining muscle anatomy allow full return of function? Will his motor nerves regenerate even though reattached? In fact, will his sensory nerves even regenerate? (As in some severe diabetics, there is permanent loss of feeling in the lower leg and feet..........they can't perceive where their leg/foot is in relationship to space, and they cannot feel when they injure themselves, leaving them forever high risk for injury and infections.)

Hopefully later, but right now, the last thing he needs to be thinking about is returning to football. There are too many phases that he must overcome now..............all of these things contemporarily incompatible with playing sports of any type. This young man will need a great deal of support and prayer........while he puts forth a great deal of effort while maintaining a great deal of patience.

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

His football career is over.......he needs to just try to get that leg healthy where he can atleast stand on a mound, because he still has that arm.

20. StarStruck

Thanks CND. I was hoping for the best but prepared for the worst case possible. A few years ago, a friend and an individual she was standing along side sustained a crush between two cars when an intoxicated person rear ended one of their cars. The second individual did require an amputation, and my friend's leg was saved, but she spent a long time in the hospital, and even longer in rehab. Her leg was severely disfigured and she sustained a permanent limp.

I read that Jones had signed his contract last week, and aside from perhaps some portion being guaranteed, I wonder if there was any insurance in force to cover AD&D or those career type insurance protections that many entertainers purchase.