Georgia CB-supplemental draft

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Silver Oak, May 17, 2007.

1. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

2. Il_Bruno

Il_Bruno Veteran

look into his situation and see if character is a major concern. It seems like he does not care very much for school but thats not very uncommon :whip:

maybe just a questionable work ethic or study habits? I havent seen him play so i can really say how good he is on the football field.

3. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

I hope nobody gives up a 1st for him. With that said, I don't think we take a chance on him unless its a 2nd. Oh wait . . .

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

The thing that bothers me is that he didn't declare thinking he would go back to school but didn't realise he wasn't eligible.

That strikes me as being either lazy or unintelligent.

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I'd give a second in a heartbeat for Paul Oliver, dude would have been the first or second CB drafted if he had declared this year...if we had a second. I don't think a third will get it done.

6. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I am VERY confused in regards to what exactly the supplemental draft is. I just did a quick looksee on NFL.com and couldn't see anything in regards to it. Can someone post a really solid link that would describe and explain the costs of a supplemental draft. I'm very confused because LORK said that he would hope that nobody gives up a first? What? Did he mean a first round pick for next season? To get a player in the supplemental draft? What about UDFAs? Do they not apply towards the supplemental draft? Ugh. I need to hold off my questions because I don't know what I'm asking. Anyway, a link or a post explaining all of this would be great!

7. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

The supplimental draft is for players who couldn't make it into the regular draft for one reason or another (usually academically inelidgable, missed the deadline for the regular draft, etc). Its held in the summer (June I think) and only consists of afew players. The way it works is teams bid on players with next years draft picks. For example, if one team says they bid their 1st on a player and no other team bids a 1st, they get him. If 2 teams bid a 1st, the player goes to the team who had the higher 1st rounder in that years regular draft. If nobody bids anything, he becomes a UDFA and can sign anywhere he wants. If you get to draft a player, you that rounds pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Hope this helped!

8. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

Thanks for the explanation as I had it all wrong. I thought teams would select in the same order as they did in the original draft (before trades up and down).

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

It is all conducted by e-mail. The league sends one out starting a, I believe, 30 minute window for responses from the teams on what they will offer.

10. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

I finally found a great explaination about the supplemental draft as well as a history of it. This was written in 2003 I believe since Hollings and Brown are on there. Sorry but this was the most updated one that I could find. If anyone else could help out...

Via email? That's interesting, infantrycak. Are you certain of this?

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

last years supplement draft

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/07/supplemental_dr.html

Gil Brandt's piece
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

12. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Give a third for a sweet cornerback, no doubt.

Then on draft day next year, we watch until Houston picks, then go cut the grass and pick up on day 2.

I'm wit' it.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'd definitely give a third in 08 for a hamburger er CB today, but if he is that good would not some one else offer better? Who could possibly be available in 3rd or 4th next year at CB? What are stats on this guy? An advantage is we would have him for a year compared to someone next season just coming on even if there was someone available at our pick.

14. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

Realistically, I don't see us offering anything for him. Kubiak said in a presser Faggins IS the #2 CB. I take that to mean Bennett and Fletcher are competing for a nickel spot.

I'd offer a 3rd round pick for Oliver though.

15. Errant Hothy

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_NFL_Draft/paul_oliver_georgia.htm

A 6 fot, 210 CB who has played well in the SEC.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Thanks your post triggered a dormant memory that I had read about him shutting down Johnson. He has good size but that probably lowers his speed. Most CBs running 4.5 or better are usually below 200 lbs, I think.

17. Errant Hothy

I've seen him estimated as a 4.4-4.5 guy.

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I googled and his speed is 4.38 to 4.52

19. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I have two questions. I'm just trying to learn about the supplemental draft here.

I'm not saying we will. I'm just supposing here... If we were to give up our first rounder in order to acquire him. Who gets that first round slot that we just gave up?

And the big question here is what kind of a contract would we have to pay him? My understanding is that we had the first pick last season so we'd be the front runners if that happened because if we're tied with another team, the team that was higher up on the pole from last season's draft wins out. Does this mean we'd have to pay him top dollar like we did for Mario? That doesn't sound very likely but it IS something that I'd like to know about.

I think I just confused myself with this post.:cool:

20. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Nobody gets the slot we gave up, it shows up as forfeited. Cincy for example ended up giving up this years 93rd pick (or around there) and they just skipped over the pick.

As for the contract, Im not too sure. My guess would be that if a team gives up their 2nd rounder (lets say 1st pick in round 2), that they would try to make it equivelant to what this years 1st pick in round 2 got.