Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

GBN Mock Draft Jan 1st

They are one of the few to not like Stewart at all. They have him as the 10th best RB. They also tend to really like Mendenhall.

I really don't see New England taking Clady. While it could be argued that he's the BPA over Laurinaitis, I believe NE needs him more than a new LT. Both of their tackles are under 30 (currently) & should be good for another 5-8 years. Whereas 3 of their starting 4 linebackers are 30+ years old & should start showing signs of slowing down real soon. Add to the fact that Seau is 38 years old & it's painfully obvious that they've got to do something about bringing in new blood for their linebackers. I believe that both players will have an instant impact on the field, but Laurinaitis fills a more pressing need for NE.

Assuming that happens, I could see Clady dropping to #14 or 15. This brings up a question. If the Texans consider Clady to be so much better than Baker or Otah, would they be willing to trade their 1st (900 pts), 3rd (190 pts?), & most likely another later round pick, or a pick next year, to move up to 14 (1100 pts) & snag him? Or, would they be content to sit & take Baker or Otah? Hmmmmm.....

To answer your question Beerlover, no way I see the Texans taking Rice. Imo, they'll take one of Stewart, Baker, or Otah. Unless of course, they trade up for Clady. Ultimately, free agency will determine the Texan's draft strategy. I can't wait until free agency starts.

I would be angry if we took a RB, excecpt McFadden.

I would be even angrier if we traded up. We need those draft picks.

Well - I wouldn't be jumping for joy if we drafted a RB with our first pick; Gimmie the big uglies!

I am anti-trading up.

Assuming that happens, I could see Clady dropping to #14 or 15. This brings up a question. If the Texans consider Clady to be so much better than Baker or Otah, would they be willing to trade their 1st (900 pts), 3rd (190 pts?), & most likely another later round pick, or a pick next year, to move up to 14 (1100 pts) & snag him? Or, would they be content to sit & take Baker or Otah? Hmmmmm.....

With as many needs as the Texans have, and how well they've done drafting in the 3rd/4th, I really don't see them trading up.

but....

If they had a chance to get a LT that would solidify the LT position for the next 12 years, who could perform at a near pro-bowl level (not sure Clady or Oher would fall into this category), I think it would be worth it - that woudl be someone who would be a top 5 LT, though, not someone in the 14-16 range. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough to judge players that well ahead of time, and I honestly don't think any Scouts would be sure enough to do so, so it' s a moot point, anyway.

Just an early mock. He's short on corners and OT's. Agreed. After McFaddin anything at Rb is a reach befor the middle of the second round. Mockers tend to raise the worth of RB' s and WR's early in the process. Get the Qb, Protect the QB, Defend the QB...that's it.

no takle worth having will be available when the texans pick. I'm all for drafting best available player possilbly WR or CB.

No rookie LT is going to be any better than Sallam.

I like K Walter but he does not scare opp defenses.We need another gamebreaking big physical WR on the offense.(Bowman)(Sweed)

Another shutdown corner would also help.(A.Cason)

Then I would look at RB (Slaton) or (Charles)

no takle worth having will be available when the texans pick. I'm all for drafting best available player possilbly WR or CB.

I like K Walter but he does not scare opp defenses.We need another gamebreaking big physical WR on the offense.(Bowman)(Sweed)

I'm glad you aren't the GM

Do you even watch the games? WR. is one of the few strengths on the team. Our ol. has stunk for years. The db's are probably the worst in the league.

I think Ray Rice is going to be a good RB in the NFL but no way do we select him ahead of these other players. I'd love to take Rice if we happened to make a trade down.

With this pick I select Sam Baker.

I think Dan Connor would be the BPA at this point and would support that selection to play him next to Demeco but I would have a very very very hard time passing on Sam Baker.

Stewart is right up there with McFadden.

I down grade anything running out of a spread out of hand. RB, QB, WR...their stats are inflated and you don't know what you have 'till they strap it up on the NFL level.

Agreed up there RR in the third is a bargin...in the first he is a reach. I like RR a lot. But I hope Rick Smith refuses to over pay for guys. If they want him this bad they should move down and take him in the second.

GBN is a canadian scouting report! no thanks I will get my info somewhere else!
GBN is one of the original draft sites on the web. I may disagree with individual player assessments (like Stewart), but I wouldn't dismiss all of their information.

GBN is a canadian scouting report! no thanks I will get my info somewhere else!

Well the guy is prety good. I don't pay for sites and he is one of my main sources for informtion. All of them tend to have warts. He's been doing it for a while and he's prety acurate. He doesn't throw stuff out there for effect. If it's posted he believes it. I read him at least twice a week.

All im saying is most of the mock drafts on texanstalk are just as good as GBN's mock draft!
I think here in texas we know talent more so than other regions!

But it is good conversation

yes. he's exactly the kind of player that Parcells likes. he's a Planet Theory guy, meaning he wants guys as big as planets on his lines.

All im saying is most of the mock drafts on texanstalk are just as good as GBN's mock draft!
I think here in texas we know talent more so than other regions!

But it is good conversation

Honestly, anyone who puts out mock drafts on this message board has looked at many of the top mocks. Even Beerlover, Kastofsna, and myself. We all look at those sites. They know what they are talking about in general. They do it for a living. Our opinions don't always coinside, but they usually aren't that far off either.

Honestly, anyone who puts out mock drafts on this message board has looked at many of the top mocks. Even Beerlover, Kastofsna, and myself. We all look at those sites. They know what they are talking about in general. They do it for a living. Our opinions don't always coinside, but they usually aren't that far off either.

Personally, I don't watch college games or college players. I look at all the mocks that you guys put together to get an idea of who to watch during bowl games and at the combine. And then watch the draft and see if anyone does something unexpected.

It's interesting to look at the differences of opinion between the various mocks as well as what different people think of the needs of teams.

Personally, I don't watch college games or college players. I look at all the mocks that you guys put together to get an idea of who to watch during bowl games and at the combine. And then watch the draft and see if anyone does something unexpected.

It's interesting to look at the differences of opinion between the various mocks as well as what different people think of the needs of teams.

Yep, I do the same. I think it's funny how some people become so convinced that their idea to improve the team is the right way to improve the team that they will go as far as to dismiss obvious needs as irrelevent. We have people making outlandish statements like "we don't need a RB" or "McFadden is the only RB worthy of a first round pick."

It's a consensus that we have 3 desperate needs and several peripheral needs. Our core needs are LT, RB, and CB. The peripheral ones are things like S, C, DE, DT, SLB, etc. Not everyone agrees here but most do. Some feel the need to minimize one need in order to emphasize their desire to address another need. It's rather silly.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. I just find it funny how some people look at the offseason.

its been updated Jan 16th- http://www.gbnreport.com/2008projection.html

1 Miami Chris Long DE Virginia
2 St. Louis Jake Long OT Michigan
3 Oakland *Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
4 Atlanta Matt Ryan QB Boston College
5 Kansas City Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
6 New York Jets *Ryan Clady OT Boise State
7 New England (from San Francisco) *Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
8 Baltimore Brian Brohm QB Louisville
9 Cincinnati Sedric Ellis DT Southern California
10 New Orleans Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
11 Buffalo Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State
12 Denver *Kenny Phillips FS Miami
13 Carolina *Derrick Harvey DE Florida
14 Chicago *Felix Jones RB Arkansas
15 Detroit Dan Connor LB Penn State
16 Arizona *Jamaal Charles RB Texas
17 Minnesota Andre' Woodson QB Kentucky
18 Houston *Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
19 Philadelphia *Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
20 Tampa Bay Keith Rivers LB Southern California
21 Washington *Calais Campbell DE Miami
22 Dallas (from Cleveland) *Aqib Talib DB Kansas
23 Pittsburgh Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
24 Tennessee Adarius Bowman WR Oklahoma State
25 Seattle Sam Baker OT Southern California
26 New York Giants *Pat Sims DT Auburn
27 Jacksonville Quentin Groves DE Auburn
28 San Diego Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
29 Dallas Limas Sweed WR Texas
30 San Francisco (from Indianapolis) *DeSean Jackson WR California
31 Green Bay Tracy Porter CB Indiana
32 New England (pick forfeited)

A way to ensure we dont upgrade this year is to draft one of the positions of strength in the first. If we go WR, we are doomed to mediocrity. LT or CB in the first only.

its been updated Jan 16th- http://www.gbnreport.com/2008projection.html

1 Miami Chris Long DE Virginia
2 St. Louis Jake Long OT Michigan
3 Oakland *Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
4 Atlanta Matt Ryan QB Boston College
5 Kansas City Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
6 New York Jets *Ryan Clady OT Boise State
7 New England (from San Francisco) *Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
8 Baltimore Brian Brohm QB Louisville
9 Cincinnati Sedric Ellis DT Southern California
10 New Orleans Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
11 Buffalo Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State
12 Denver *Kenny Phillips FS Miami
13 Carolina *Derrick Harvey DE Florida
14 Chicago *Felix Jones RB Arkansas
15 Detroit Dan Connor LB Penn State
16 Arizona *Jamaal Charles RB Texas
17 Minnesota Andre' Woodson QB Kentucky
18 Houston *Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
19 Philadelphia *Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
20 Tampa Bay Keith Rivers LB Southern California
21 Washington *Calais Campbell DE Miami
22 Dallas (from Cleveland) *Aqib Talib DB Kansas
23 Pittsburgh Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
24 Tennessee Adarius Bowman WR Oklahoma State
25 Seattle Sam Baker OT Southern California
26 New York Giants *Pat Sims DT Auburn
27 Jacksonville Quentin Groves DE Auburn
28 San Diego Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
29 Dallas Limas Sweed WR Texas
30 San Francisco (from Indianapolis) *DeSean Jackson WR California
31 Green Bay Tracy Porter CB Indiana
32 New England (pick forfeited)
They seem to really over value guys in their mock drafts. I like that they appear to be trying something different from everyone else but when late 2nd or 3rd rd guys are being put into the 1st round for apparent need I tend not to want to look at the mock anymore.

On another note. I see lots of people assuming that the Rams will take a Jake Long. I dont see that happening. They have Alex Barron that can move to LT if there in no more Pace, so I see them taking Chris Long or Dorsey which ever guy actually drops. Especially since their D stinks like hot garbage.

And why is San Diego taking a Tackle in the 1st. I think this mock is off. JMO

I'm sure Austin, TN is on pins and needles hoping they'll get Limus.

You sure bout that are you ? I say they hold their water they get shot at Sweed in the third round.

Well Beerlover I think he's had second look at the DBs and is not pleased. Cbs will move up always do. Pats have to nail one unless they move the rook to Cb next year. Corners will move up the next few weeks. I do agree, it is very weak class of Free safties. Not one of them is worth a first round pick. But someone will reach for them in the first two rounds.

I don't either, and I also like Mendenhall a lot. I don't see Stewart being worth his draft spot in the NFL.

I was beginning to doubt myself for thinking the same thing..:confused:

Now that two great minds think it.. :D , I prefer we draft Mendenhall, if we do indeed draft rb in the first.

However..it all begins in the trenches....OLT should be our priority...if one is available.

Wonder what our new OL coach thinks?

:coffee:

I was beginning to doubt myself for thinking the same thing..:confused:

Now that two great minds think it.. :D , I prefer we draft Mendenhall, if we do indeed draft rb in the first.

However..it all begins in the trenches....OLT should be our priority...if one is available.

Wonder what our new OL coach thinks?

:coffee:

Probably asking if we can take a LT and Center at the same time.

Top 32 prospects from Top 100 draft board from which they based their Mock draft.

Last updated: January 18, 2008

Darren McFadden RB 6-1, 215 Arkansas
Glenn Dorsey DT 6-2, 300 LSU
Chris Long DE 6-4, 285 Virginia
Jake Long OT 6-7, 320 Michigan
Matt Ryan QB 6-4, 220 Boston College
Ryan Clady OT 6-5, 320 Boise State
Sedric Ellis DT 6-2, 295 USC
Brian Brohm QB 6-3, 230 Louisville
Rashard Mendenhall RB 5-11,195 Illinois
Mike Jenkins CB 5-11, 200 South Florida
Keith Rivers LB 6-3, 220 USC
Felix Jones RB 6-0, 207 Arkansas
Vernon Gholston DE 6-4, 260 Ohio State
Kenny Phillips FS 6-1, 205 Miami
Andre Woodson QB 6-5, 230 Kentucky
Derrick Harvey DE 6-4, 245 Florida
Jamaal Charles RB 6-0, 200 Texas
Dan Connor LB 6-2, 233 Penn State
Calais Campbell DE 6-7, 282 Miami
Quentin Groves DE 6-4, 255 Auburn
Adarius Bowman WR 6-4, 220 Oklahoma State
Malcolm Kelly WR 6-4, 220 Oklahoma
Aqib Talib DB 6-1, 205 Kansas
Sam Baker OT 6-4, 310 USC
Tracy Porter CB 5-11, 185 Indiana
DeSean Jackson WR 5-11,165 California
Jonathan Stewart RB 5-11,235 Oregon
Pat Sims DT 6-3, 315 Auburn
Limas Sweed WR 6-4, 220 Texas (X)
Joe Flacco QB 6-5, 230 Delaware
Mario Manningham WR 5-11, 180 Michigan
Dominique Rodgers CB 6-1, 185 Tennessee State

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

Top 32 prospects from Top 100 draft board from which they based their Mock draft.
http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

I'm not worried too much about the top 32.

I want to see the guys around 18 and the guys around 82. Those are our first two picks right?

Around 18 according to this, that means maybe Jamaal Charles (RB), Aqib Talib (DB), Sam Baker (OT), Tracy Porter (CB), or maybe Jonathon Stewart (RB).

And around 82, maybe Tashard Choice (RB), Simeon Castile (DB), Terrell Thomas (CB), or maybe James Davis (RB).

Those would be our options without reaching too far in those spots.

How does that sound to the people who know who these guys are?

I want to see the guys around 18 and the guys around 82. Those are our first two picks right?

Around 18 according to this, that means maybe Jamaal Charles (RB), Aqib Talib (DB), Sam Baker (OT), Tracy Porter (CB), or maybe Jonathon Stewart (RB).

And around 82, maybe Tashard Choice (RB), Simeon Castile (DB), Terrell Thomas (CB), or maybe James Davis (RB).

I like to plot numbers & start ground zero with this draft board then find some obvious trends, something I use all the time to project going forward. if you just compare the Mock draft to the actual draft board, based on team needs/fits factored by availability you can shake out three ascending prospects & three descending prospects.

interesting that the ascending players are all players the Texans should be very interested in, they are:

+22 LT Chris Williams (ranked #50 going #28 to San Diego)
+13 CB Leodis McKelvin (ranked #40 going to #23 Pittsburgh)
+9 RB Jonathan Stewart (ranked #27 going to #18 Houston)

Prospects who are dropping despite being highly rated & usually fall out of the 1st completely are:

-9 LB Keith Rivers (ranked #11 going to #20 to Tampa Bay)
-7 DE Quentin Groves (ranked #20 going to #27 Jacksonville)
-6 CB Tracy Porter (ranked #25 going to #31 Green Bay)

Honestly, I don't see Jamaal Charles as a first rounder. He seems too small, and his fumbling problems are too well documented. He did better this year about holding on to the ball, but scouts are going to look at his entire body of work. If we get Charles with our first rounder I'm probably not going to be all that impressed. Tracy Porter is a name I haven't seen associated with the 1st round before this report either. I'm thinking that this years crop of CB's are going to be OK, but all of the guys seem to have their issues. James Davis is apparently heading back to school, and I kind of like Choice in the 3rd round. Something about the way he runs just seems "tough" to me. I don't know enough about Castille to have an opinion, Thomas for that matter.

RE: Jonathon Stewart - I don't think that this guy is overrated, but I think he'll get picked before we get to him. He's beefy enough, and seems to be able to take the pounding and has some decent speed. I think him and Mendenhall are going to bridge the pretty far reaching gap between them and McFadden at the combine this year, but not much else. I don't think we pick him, or have the chance to pick him either.

I think that one of the LT's is going to slide, and I'm perfectly fine with us picking up one of Otah/Clady/Baker/Collins/Hills. I think the last two names could be had in a later round than the first, and Baker I'm iffy about.

I still think that after all is said and done, we get a defensive player in the 1st round.

LT Chris Williams, CB Leodis McKelvin & RB Jonathan Stewart will all be worth the 18th pick by draft day. It would be really hard for me to choose between them, if I had a :gun: I would probably go with the big athletic tackle, I think the Texans would go with Dunta Robinson clone, most here, would seem like they would pass on Stewart. thats my gut, maybe someone can post a poll thread of these three prospects. just remember Williams is very athletic, quick, long wingspan & could fit the zbs, McKelvin is very similar to DR & Stewart is a franchise back.

Adam Jones suspension expired & will be back with the Titans, love him or hate him he is one heck of returner & cb :shades:

While he's a great player, he's also a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off. If it were me, I'd be making calls already to find out if anyone was interested in him. If Al Davis still likes bad boys, I'd offer him PacMan for Stanford Routt & their 4th round pick.

If Davis can control him, he definitely wins that trade. Pairing PacMan with a resigned Asomugha & Huff/Schweigert at safety would give Oakland one of the better secondaries in the league.

As for Tennessee, they get a less talented, but steady CB & who knows what player will be available with that extra 4th?

Back