Gary Walker at DE????

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Darporini, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Darporini

Darporini Rookie

Does anyone think that Gary Walker could be the team's strongside DE if the coaching staff asked him to drop 20 - 25 lbs. in the offseason?

He is listed at 305 lbs. Is this accurate?

By doing so, it give the team more options upfront. It would also be more beneficial to Walker. By playing at a lighter weight, he would probably be more effective as a pass rusher.

2. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Honestly no. He has played SDE before and he could likely play it on rushing downs, but he is past his prime and does not have the speed to get it done. Plus G-Funk may not be with the team after all is said and done.

3. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I think that hes too big an too slow to have any effect on the pass rush. He may be able to be a run stuffer in short yardage situations, but he is not an every down DE.

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Geez, he was too big and slow to effect the pass rush in the 3-4. He'll never get there in a 4-3. I mean he chased the QBs, but he never caught them.

5. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Nope. He's not dun, but close. Payne's over the hump also.

6. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

I don't think ole' Gfunk will be with us much longer. Thank god.

7. Blake

Blake MMQB

I could see him destroying some tackles in the 4-3.

8. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Walker doesn't have the speed to play DE. I would rather have him stay at DT, switching in and out with TJ and Payne.

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

When G-Funk was in the game, the defense was better...hands down.

10. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

You obviously didnt watch the run defense when Walker when in vs. when Walker was out. Walker is a force in the trenches...

11. LikeABoss

LikeABoss All Pro

And that's probably gonna cost alot since the Jets just franchised him again.

12. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

the tough thing is we can't simply get john abraham because then what are we gonna do with babin...at 256lbs abraham isn't a strongside DE either...there is a possibility of walker working at strongside DE but i would have to bet against it...i just don't see him staying with us due to his cap number...he also doesn't have the speed need to rush the passer from that spot...payne is probably also going to be a cap casualty...with all the guys we have at DT we probably have enough depth to last us for a few seasons

13. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

i gotta agree. last offseason, the front office tried to make a statement by shipping out older players with huge salaries that were deemed expendable. walker managed to stay on the team primarily bc he was getting healthy, but his presence was unnoticed in my eyes. besides, the texans are better off taking their chances with babin and peek as the DE's or drafting another one, and using payne, johnson, and robaire as the DT's. walker = gone this offseason.

14. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Walker is our best DT, hands down. A lot of people seem to dislike him, but Robbair takes plays off, TJ is an unkown quantity and Payne is average. Walker is the best at gettin into the backfield and dissrupting plays. Unfortunately, he is old and costs a lot of money. That seems to be the main argument against him, obviously TJ and Robaire are much younger. I think that if we get rid of any of our DT's it will be Payne, but that also means we wont be using any of the 3-4 sets.

15. CoachJim

CoachJim Veteran

It's just me but if we got rid of one I'd hope it'd be Walker. Payne to me still brings it & more importantly stays off the trainer's table a lil more than GW.

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't think Walker liked 2gap duties at all. He got beat up quite a bit by two 300 pounders on every play and couldn't do what he does best most of the time. If he can stay lean (he got too big for a while) I don't think he will get as banged up shooting gaps in a good inside platoon-rotation as opposed to tying up blockers all game and warding off players...that's not his strong suit.

17. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

...thus emphasizing the fact that capers is dumb. the 3-4 in houston was a major misallocation of talent. he picked the wrong group of people to play the 3-4.

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

With us switching to the 4-3, Walker should benefit greatly. I know he's up there in age, but when he was healthy, he was a force on defense.

Walker has had his greatest success in the NFL when he played in a 4-3 defense. Imo, part of his injury problems have got to be due to the fact that he's been getting double teamed almost constantly in the 3-4. After all, that's what the role of a DT is in the 3-4. They're supposed to tie up the OL, so that the LB's can make the plays. Thus, his body takes a lot of punishment.

Prior to him coming to Houston, & including his 1st year here, he had only missed 3 games in 8 years. In the last 3 years (all with Houston), he's missed 18 games. Is that just age, or the 3-4?

With the switch to the 4-3, that should free him up some. As a result, we should see a much greater performance from Walker this upcoming year.

The Texans have 4 very good DT's in Walker, Payne, Smith, & the youngster (TJ). There are a lot of teams that would love to have that kind of DT talent.

If Babin picks up from where he left off, at the end of last year, & continues to improve on the talent that we were lead to believe he has, that will only help to take some more pressure off of Walker.

At times I'm impressed with Peek & at other times I'm disgusted with him. Now, while I'm a solid trade down & pick D'Brick fan, there's been something that's been bouncing around in my head (no, it's not a loose lugnut) for a while.

What if we traded down & picked Mario Williams? Imagine a DL of Babin, Walker, Payne, & Williams, with Robaire, TJ, & Peek coming off the bench. I do realize that one of Walker, Robaire, or Payne will need to be traded away for cap reasons, but even with that, we'd have one heck of a DL.

The bottom line is, I look for a major improvement from Walker (& even Babin) with the switch to the 4-3.

19. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Thats the problem we have loads of DT's but no ends.

Payne, TJ, Robaire Smith and Gary Walker would all play DT, as would Ioane and Deloach.

No way all 6 are coming back who's your money on?

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I say we keep Walker and Smith as starting DTs. After that, whichever of the rest needs to go can go. I would think Payne would be an awfully good backup.