Gary Kubiak criticizes Texans' practice effort

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Fili, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Fili

Fili All Pro

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

He let them go without helmets today, and wasn't satisfied with the way they responded to the reward.

Lesson to be learned: Don't give rewards out too early. Duh.

Kids will take a mile if you give them an inch, Gary.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Just a psychological ploy.

4. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Agreed, but a little foot in the ass never hurts once in a while.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

I would call it a poor decision on two accounts: 1. Rewarding them before they had accomplished something, then 2. getting onto them when they took the reward and ran with it..err, uh...walked with it.

He gave them an afternoon off from weights, IIRC, when the two field goal kickers made their kicks. Everyone cheered, rightfully so, and the reward came AFTER an accomplishment on the field. This time, he rewarded them up-front and then they dogged it a little...how else did he expect human nature to react to an up-front reward? LOL.

For the record, I don't think Kubiak is crazy or dumb. I think this particular idea of his ended up biting him in the ass and now he's biting them in the ass for it. All in all, he's at least saying "You aren't pulling anything over on me."

We have to remember he's got an all-rookie pool of WRs out there with AJ and Walter out, a second-year QB, a lot of youngsters on the OL too. He's making sure they all understand their place in the world.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Seems like a "how mature are you guys?" measurement to me. If they pass muster, you're proud. If they fail, you got ammo to justify putting the boot up their backsides.

Parenting 101.

7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

This could make or break the season.

dc_txtech likes this.
  8. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

:lol:

9. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

Really? Just two? :kubepalm:

10. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    GP, taking this in the full context of what GK said I'm not so sure I follow. He did the same thing with last year's team and they responded well. These guys din't. Thus he challenged them again.

I wasn't in the locker room after practice so I have nothing concrete to base on, but my bet is that there was some missing buttock when the players left and they have one more opportunity to prove themselves or the kid gloves are off.

Reference the video TC posted prior.

Again, just a guess/hunch on my part. We'll see if it ends differently tomorrow.

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I like this from Gary actually. Get after their asses!!! :pissed:

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Absolutely.... Expectations for this season are even higher than last year.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

Gp, the team is full of players that were here last year and apparently handled it well. And you're saying they didn't earn it and you have no idea what you're talking about.

He may have liked the way they had practiced in the days leading up to that day.

They may have done well in meetings. They could have just given extra effort for a practice prior.

Coaches do this stuff all the time. This is fairly insignificant at this point.

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

Oh sure, I know full well it is insignificant at this point. But then again what else is there to talk about? I just found it amusing that he rewarded them and then they slacked up a little bit.

When I get rewarded, I tend to think (as most self-serving humans like me do) that it means I have done well enough to maybe slow down and enjoy life a bit more. Admittedly, we work our hardest when we think people are not pleased with us.

I was remarking how Gary was a bit put out with the guys dogging it out there...when in reality, it's freaking OTAs and really none of them need to be rewarded with anything other than proper amounts of drinking water and "good job, guys" from the coaches. If it's a long road to the Super Bowl, what is ANY coach doing with the mindset that OTAs are meant for taking a day off and hitting the paintball field?

Well, I couldn't watch the video due to download problems. Will have to try again tonight.

I was going off the text of the quote, which sounded like Gary was shocked that the team isn't Super Bowl-ready right now in OTAs. My suggestion, since I am good at giving unsolicited advice free of charge to those who don't give a ****, is for Gary to stop rewarding and just GATA--Get After Their Asses.

LOL. Absolutely! Our future hinges on this! :pissed:

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Totally disagree, as a leader I have used same technique very successfully. Kubiak could care less about this incident. He will use it to remind them later that he tried to do right thing. "Look, I wanted to be nice to you guys but look how you acted way back in OTA's and you went sideways on me. Now the team will motivate itself. He just bound his players even tighter to him. Perfect psychological move.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

I don't think we disagree all that much, actually.

If anybody can spin things, it's Gary. He'll definitely leverage this incident to help the effort out somewhere down the line. He's had those guys stick it out through the lean years, which means he's got their loyalty, so I think we agree on that. I do.

I'm just saying that OTAs is a bit early for him to reward. He already gave them a reward a few days ago. I think rewards have to be used sparingly or you create a reward-heavy culture whereby it becomes expected that you're going to get rewarded for everything. Make it special. Make it count.

badboy likes this.
  17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Not a bfd.

They did a lot of different things today and a very very fast tempo. Few drills before they jumped right into two minute drill stuff. It was 86 degrees no wind a lot of young guys.

I'm guessing tomorrow's practice is better.

Wolf likes this.
  18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

agree with he is making sure they know their place. I think with this early in the season. He wanted to see how the youngsters responded to some "easy time"

I also agree with TC it is no BFD this early in the season (technically) but I think he is sending a message to the youngsters to be ready when the hitting starts.like my dad says you practice how you are going to play.(granted OTA's cant have hitting...cough *seahawks* cough)

19. TexansRule1

TexansRule1 Rookie

I like this strategy and am thinking about incorporating into my managerial style. He is saying you have to deserve any perk I provide you. I can take it away at any moment.

He can add additional perks, minor perks that he can keep in place on a permanent basis as long as the team shows a high level of energy. Further, it keeps the players accountable to each other to maintain that standard.

Contrast this to a single goal which creates a let up when achieved.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

:corrosion: