Garett Bolles-OT-UTAH

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by jradMIT, Feb 8, 2017.

1. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

There's scarcity at impact defensive players. I'd like to solidify the offensive line first as well and target some of the players above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB likes this.
  2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think Robinson goes ahead of Bolles; he had huge audience every week and played for #1 college team all season. He is not bad just not exciting to me. I would not spend much time on his dropping before combine. It was hard for me to agree with others on Ram as I just did not see him doing more than just getting by. On edge rushers, Ram barely kept up following opponent back to QB in pocket. Most rate him high technically but I did not see that; he only has one year under his belt as does Bolles so both should get better. I am very leery of players with serious injuries in their history (why I'm not high on TJ Watt despite a great 2016).Garcia I did not watch so have only others opinions + film. I would go Davenport over Garcia. I support and have mocked two OTs this draft but am changing on that. As much as I cringe at D Browns health and he turns 32 this August, I am hopeful he will be serviceable one more season. I keep looking at the $9.7 million cap we can use if he is gone..but only if a better replacement is available. A college LT drafted to play RT 2017 then moving to replace DB perhaps is way to go. We would then have to draft RT in 2018.

Philly's Wentz may spend off season in owner's ear screaming for line help. LT is 35 & $11.5 m cap cost '17 & '18. RT Lane Johnson coming off 10 game suspension is just a performance-enhancing drug away from being out of NFL. (2014 he had 4 g "time out"). I could see them selecting Robinson or Ram round one then more options in second selecting WR.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Not sure if you are labeling all D players or just the line; either way I think you are wrong on impact guys. OLBs McKinley, Tim Williams and Reddick; ILBs McMillan, Jarrad Davis, Anthony Walker & if healed Washington's Azeem Walker. DTs Caleb Brantley, Carlos Watkins, Alabama's Tomlinson, Montravius Adams, Jarron Jones (possible 4th rounder). DEs Taco Charlton, Demarcus Walker, Hunter Dimick and Daeshon Hall.

If wanted we could draft four of these rounds 1 thru 4. I do agree we should solidify Oline but that can be done. Wonder if we have better options for Oline in free agency than last off season?

4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Last offseason you had guys like Osemele, Brandon Brooks and Alex Mack available on the interior. Not sure but was Donald Penn a free agent last offseason?

5. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

FA tackle is pretty slim pickings, Rick Wagner, Andrew Whitworth, are the two players, Whitworth is 35 and plays left tackle, Wagner is the choice but he will cost around 9-10M a year. There are some lesser guys like Reily Reif, Kalil. At guard however, there are a lot of studs available Zeitler, Leary, TJ Lang, Warford, all guys who can play and will command high dollars.

6. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

With Robinson falling (I still have him being selected before Texans)Ram seems to be ranked first among OTs despite his surgery [see link below]. I know his surgery was Jan 5th and supposedly not as bad as it could have been. Still, "abnormal wearing" in hip joint of a 310+ lb. NFL OT is very much a concern and one I hope we don't have to experience. CBSsports.com Rang and Brugler have Denver taking Ram at #20 as first LT drafted which is great for my board. Also, Rang has Robinson to us. Mayock has him as 2nd best OG which I can see. IMO, Cam Robinson has little ceiling so what you see is what you get. I'm still mocking Bolles #25.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-left-tackle-ryan-ramczyk-confirms-hip-injury

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/137052/ryan-ramczyk

8. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

Per ROTOWORLD

Utah T Garett Bolles arrived at the NFL Combine at 6-foot-5 and 297-pounds.

Bolles also has 34-inch arms and 9 3/8-inch hands. The 24-year-old Utah tackle is expected to be one of the top athletes among offensive linemen, if not the top. Many suggest he could land as a top 20 pick, but others might be turned off due to the sub-300 pound weight.

Hopefully the weight will have him drop to us.

9. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

It will come down to his 225 reps, and agility drills.

jradMIT and justmy2cents like this.
  10. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Oops

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

11. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

Short-Area Quickness

These next two sections are singular testing results that best project future success for certain positions. I am far less attached to these than in previous years, but it has been a tradition in highlighting them… so I will continue.

First is the 20-yard shuttle for offensive linemen. Here are 14 of the top 20 performances since 2006:

Eagles C Jason Kelce (4.14), Colts C Samson Satele (4.29), Bengals T Jake Fisher (4.33), Panthers C Ryan Kalil (4.34), Patriots OT Nate Solder(4.34), Ex-Jets C Nick Mangold (4.36), Colts OT Anthony Castonzo (4.40), Bears OT Charles Leno (4.40), Vikings G Brandon Fusco (4.43), Chiefs T Eric Fisher (4.44), Browns G Joel Bitonio (4.44), Texans G Xavier Su’a-Filo (4.44), Packers OL Jason Spriggs (4.44) and longtime T Eric Winston (4.44).

I’ve heard rumblings of Garett Bolles possibly breaking the 3-cone and short shuttle records for offensive linemen, both owned by Jason Kelce (7.22 3-cone, 4.14 short shuttle).

Texian likes this.
  12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

You know this guy has vey limited experience as a football player and has off field issues in his resume ( I know, something you wouldn't expect from a Mormon), and he's an old rookie because he's gonna be 25 in just a couple months. And yea he is athletic but not very big which makes him sound like a zone guy which is not what Billy focuses on here.
    So as bad as we need a tackle(s) I'd be vey surprised if the Texans take him with their first round pick.

13. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

Yea he might not fit the scheme, but his off the field stuff was long ago before he went to college, there's been nary a peep from the guy since he started playing ball, I don't think that will factor into the decision. Also I might add that since he hasn't been in a strength and conditioning program for long he can add more size to his frame.

14. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Losing weight for the Combine isn't unusual to add speed and agility, and at 6'05" he should be able to add 10-15 lbs. easily without affecting him much. I'd take him at #25 if he were still on the board, I just hope the Texans prioritize the need at OT as much as we all do.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If somehow the Texans could come out of this draft with Bolles and Mahomes I would be very happy.

3rd/4th rd pick Mama and I would be estatic.

The Texans are really close, just need to add a QB and a couple of stud OL.

If Mahomes and Bolles are there at 25 which one do you pick? How do you end up with both of them thru trading back into the 1st rd?

16. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

You would have to give up this year's 2nd and next years 1st at the very least I would presume.

17. zshawn10

zshawn10 Veteran

18. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Bolles did not participate in the 225 Bench Press.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Disappointing

After seeing how many teams have talked with the top 3 OT's I seriously doubt that one of them will fall to the Texans. Going to need to trade up above the Broncos if you want one of them. (Not gonna happen)

20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

So checked out the Combine this morning with the OL players and watched Bolles run a sub 5.00 40 which is always good for an Olineman.
    For a lineman Bolles was extremely svelte and he also as expected had a flat-azz Mormon white-boy rear end which is not what you want because these guys ideally have thick thighs and an impressive bubble to generate the power in drive-blocking the pros want in their lineman.
    So Bolls looks like your traditional TE converted to OT even though I dunno if he ever played TE but he's got zone-blocking written all over him.
    He's not big and thick enough to play inside or probably not RT either which means he's most likely gonna be strictly a LT prospect and most likley in a ZBS.
    It will be interesting to see where he ultimately goes in the Draft next month ?