Garett Bolles-OT-UTAH

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by jradMIT, Feb 8, 2017.

1. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

JUCO All American tackle and top JUCO recruit played one year in FBS at Utah. Had a troubled upbringing but embraced religion and turned his life around. He is older at 24 and will be 25 by next season. I read a couple of scouting reports and watched a couple of games of him (UCLA, USC). Has a decent frame at 6-5 300. If the Texans are lucky enough for him to be there at #25, he could fill the hole at RT and eventually replace Brown at LT. Watching the tape of him two things jump out, his athleticism and his nastiness.

Against ULCA he pretty much handled McKinley another 1st round prospect, the plays McKinley mad primarily came against the RT.

Watching Bolles, he has great feet and quickness, whether in pass pro or pulling he moves well and locks in very quickly. Also the few times he gets beaten during runs, his athleticism allows him to quickly recover. He flies to the 2nd level and makes blocks all over the field, he frequently pulled and was laying out tackles to safeties. Even when he loses his footing, he's able to lunch and punch at defender's feet and knock them down. His athleticism gives him a high ceiling.

If you like line play, Bolles is a joy to watch, he has the desirable "mean streak" for sure. From snap to whistle he is like a machine, non stop, punishing the defense for being on the field with him. You often seeing him riding guys to the ground well out of the play. He plays with great energy.

Sometimes he does get sloppy with his technique and gets beaten on inside spin moves. He could definitely add some weight and strength to his frame. Since he wasn't in an FBS program longer than a year, you would think he has lots of room to fill out.

Bottom line this guy is a diamond in the rough in my opinion but has enough ability to start at right tackle from jump. He could replace Brown in a few years and become a force once he maxes out his frame. He also has a great back story and has come from a terrible situation to be on the precipice of success.

Hottoddie likes this.
  2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I doubt any of the top 3 OT's make it to #25. All of them are good with potential to be starting LT's for a decade. I was one of the 1st to call for Bolles to be the Texans pick at #25 in one of my past mocks. He would bring a nastiness that the Texans OL is sorely missing. He's moved up the boards and probably wont fall.

You should search for some of my past mocks.

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Top OT in the draft in my book. Would love to have him but i don't think he'll be there.

mussop likes this.
  4. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

Accolades aside, Cam Robinson was very unimpressive to me, look sluggish and unathletic. He was often covered by the TE in passing situations, and had help. Didn't show good feet, couldn't land a block on the second level without falling down most of the time. I think he is vastly overrated. Looks like a guard to me honestly, doesn't look like LT material to me in the league. I wouldn't touch him in the first two rounds, buyer beware.

justmy2cents and steelbtexan like this.
  5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Mcshay just mocked Bolles #25 to the Texans.

As we have discussed, being a legit LT prospect, doubt he is available :shades:

6. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

I know age is a concern and short track record, but this OT class is so light at the top. The Broncos seem to be as far as one of these guys will drop.

7. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Right now Bolles is penciled in as my 1st rd pick for the Texans. However I won't make any final decision until after the Combine. The Combine is one the best separators of talent for OL for me. Not a fan of McShay at all but we share opinions here. You now who else is a big fan of Bolles, Mike Mayock (who I do have highest respect for). By the time the draft rolls around this guy could be a top 20 pick. Think Kyle Long.

https://twitter.com/MikeMayock/status/828989969754644480

https://twitter.com/MikeMayock/status/828978735638519808

https://twitter.com/MikeMayock/status/828991401123799041

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  8. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

To me, Bolles would be a perfect OT in a "Zone Blocking" scheme and that could make him a prime target for the Broncos. Notice I said could. Since Kubes left I'm not sure what type of scheme they will run, heck I don't even know who their OC is anymore. Anyway, I was thinking that they would have been, and still may be, the team that picks Bolles at #20 since their O-line has been bad and they have been looking for OT's. I think they were very disappointed in Okung (FA pickup from Seahawks). With Joseph in there now I'm wondering if they may go Defense in the 1st. Texian is right though, after the Combine he may be out of reach for us.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Fair enough, what I see is a huge powerful guy who will make a great RT. He will be a serviceable LT. Most plays he was really good at LT, but 4-5 plays a game he got off balance, got beat and looked really bad. IMHO

Hottoddie likes this.
  10. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Mine too.

11. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Mine too.

12. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

I might have watched a bad game, but his pass pro just doesn't look good enough against the speed rush.

It is something the be said about playing LT for Alabama, lot of chips by TE and backs, opposing pass rushers have to be wary of the run and have to throttle the initial rush a bit.

He isn't nearly as regarded as Greg Robinson was coming out(relation?), and Greg has mightily struggled and might be moving to guard. I think playing for the tide compensates a lot for these guy's weaknesses in pass pro.

When I see Cam, I see a hugely powerful guy who could be amazing in the phone booth, but on the bookends I just don't see how he is gonna be able to handle athletic OLBs and stunts, etc. I think guard might be the way to go for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelbtexan likes this.
  13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I don't think Ive seen a mock with more than two OTs selected before Houston. I think if Ram is healthy, he and Robinson (don't want him) will go top 24 leaving Bolles for us. I still like Skipper day two; dude out hustles all which is crazy at his size. Bending is not a problem

14. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

Skipper?

15. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Dan Skipper, OT, Arkansas, 6-9, 317 lbs

16. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I don't know if this plays out. Robinson seems to be dropping further down and could drop out of the 1st rd after the Combine. Other than Denver, I'm not sure which other teams are looking for OT's that are drafting ahead of the Texans, but if Ramczyk and Bolles are both gone who do they go for next? Lamp, Robinson, Garcia, or a player from another position?

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

A nasty Mormon, you mean like that other nasty Mormon LG X Su’a-Filo ? The X-man has been a big disappointment to date. And this kid has also had some real issues with dope and McNair don't usually like those kind of folks on his teams. On paper I like him but he's got some real character issues in his past.

18. gs27

gs27 Veteran

I like Skipper also. Bisnowaty, Skipper, and Holden are my favorites. IMO the top rated OTs in the class are no better than these 3. Hoping we land one of them in the 3rd or 4th. Ricky Wagner would be a great pickup, and add his linemate from Wisci, Kevin Zeitler. Defense is loaded at top of 2017 draft, go get a difference maker to take D to another level.

19. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

Bolles character stuff was from way before he started playing ball. He's married now with a kid, I would be more worried about Robinson's stuff it's much more recent. I'm sure the will do their due diligence on both, even for this team I don't think Bolles stuff is a disqualification especially considering the circumstances of his upbringing.

I agree I'd rather get Wagner and zeitler and target the best defender on the board, there is real scarcity especially at pass rush, especially if Reddick, charlton, McKinley or even on of the many dbs like Lewis.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    ?