Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Games on Christmas day '05?

They schedule the bulk of the games on Saturday. I don't remember if they have a day game or the Sunday night game on Sunday. It seems like the ESPN game was moved to Christmas eve that year. Here is what happened in 1994 (the last time Christmas fell on a Sunday):

Week 17:
Saturday, Dec. 24
Arizona(8-8) @ ATLANTA(7-9) 6-10
Buffalo(7-9) @ INDIANAPOLIS(8-8) 9-10
Dallas(12-4) @ NY GIANTS(9-7) 10-15
GREEN BAY(9-7) @ Tampa Bay(6-10) 34-19
NEW ENGLAND(10-6) @ Chicago(9-7) 13-3
Philadelphia(7-9) @ CINCINNATI(3-13) 30-33
Seattle(6-10) @ CLEVELAND(11-5) 9-35
KANSAS CITY(9-7) @ LA Raiders(9-7) 19-9
NEW ORLEANS(7-9) @ Denver(7-9) 30-28
NY Jets(6-10) @ HOUSTON(2-13) 10-24
Pittsburgh(12-4) @ SAN DIEGO(11-5) 34-37
WASHINGTON(3-13) @ LA Rams(4-12) 24-21
Sunday, Dec. 25
Detroit(9-7) @ MIAMI(10-6) 20-27
Monday, Dec. 26
San Francisco(13-3) @ MINNESOTA(10-6) 14-21

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/vernon/www/nfl-schedule1994.html

Hmmmm, it would be hard for me to attend a game on Christmas. Being with my family is more important. If the Texans do have a home game at Christmas I will donate my tickets to a charity.

I'm with you on that Greg, of course the charity would be my neighbor who's been bugging me for tickets. The best thing for me would be that our beloved team is on the road that weekend, or hey, even better yet, it could be our first Monday night game

Yes on the 12:00 start, no on the 3:00 start. I live 90 minutes from the stadium so that would get me back to the house probably around 8:00.

What day was the Oilers/ 49ers game? I remember it being really close to Christmas. The Oilers put on one of their best games in the history of the franchise to that moment.

The Oiler-49er game was indeed on Christmas. The Oilers were in the mist of a 12 game win streak. It was all big waste of time however as the Bud cursed Oilers choked against the Chiefs in the Astrodome in the Divisional Playoffs.

Vinny said:
Definitions of Ogre on the Web....

:whew

Hehe all of those are "ogre", lower case. I am "Ogre", "The Ogre" (or "TheOgre" here), which are all derivatives of a college nickname.

Ogre =
shrek_3.jpg
... know anyone by the name of Fiona?

(what this all has to do with being given tickets to a football game .. I don't know. lol)

Did they do the same thing for new years day? I'm sure they don't want to compete with the bowl games.

Wow!! I was just thinking about this today after looking at the schedule next week and seeing games scheduled on Christmas day and thinking what happens next year when Christmas falls on a Sunday? For as long as I've been watching football I couldn't for the life of me remember if the NFL played games Christmas day or not.

All I know is that if we have a home game Christmas day, Christmas morning for me will be in the yellow lot.

If we don't have a game on Christmas day/eve, we will surely have one on New Years day/eve. Imagine, Dec. 31, 2005, parking lot opens at 8:00 am, don't have to hide the alcohol on Saturday, game from 12 - 3, 1 hour aftergame tailgate, then it's time for the New Years party. That's going to be one long and fun day!

swisher said:
Did they do the same thing for new years day? I'm sure they don't want to compete with the bowl games.

In 1994, the 1st round of the playoffs feel on that weekend. They played 2 games on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. I vaguely remember them playing all of the "January 1" games on the 2nd instead. My memory might be failing me though.

When I was in college in '84 or '85 I remember having to skip school to watch my buddies at UT play in the Cotton Bowl on a Monday when the 1st fell on Sunday. I may be wrong but I think that was the case.

gwallaia said:
The Oiler-49er game was indeed on Christmas. The Oilers were in the mist of a 12 game win streak. It was all big waste of time however as the Bud cursed Oilers choked against the Chiefs in the Astrodome in the Divisional Playoffs.
I remember it well I was there,I was so disgusted (And a little drunk on the "DOME FOAM")I threw my leather Oiler jacket from my seat onto the lower level :thud: .LOL....I was a little upset at that game. :hairpull:

I remember the play that broke our backs. The score was 21-20 at the time. The Chiefs had a 3rd and 3 from their own end of the field (want to say around the 30-35). Montana goes back to pass to one of the Cash brothers (Kerry or Keith) but one of our linemen nails him in the arm as he releases. His pass sails way off course but lands into the arms of Kimble Anders. He scampers 40-something yards for a 1st down. They go on to score and win 28-20 (remember this was before the 2-pt. conversion). I look at that play as the game deciding one. Montana was great, but it doesn't hurt to be lucky too.

Speedy said:
Wow!! I was just thinking about this today after looking at the schedule next week and seeing games scheduled on Christmas day and thinking what happens next year when Christmas falls on a Sunday? For as long as I've been watching football I couldn't for the life of me remember if the NFL played games Christmas day or not.

All I know is that if we have a home game Christmas day, Christmas morning for me will be in the yellow lot.

Since the child of the house will be a senior in high school then....most likely the FILOs in Katy would be in the Orange lot. Knowing Doc, he would bring the Christmas tree and open the gifts next to the BULL. :hmmm:
I know our boys would have no problem celebrating in the lot, just give 'em some beer and gifts and they are taken care of.

Speedy said:
For as long as I've been watching football I couldn't for the life of me remember if the NFL played games Christmas day or not.
Considering that the Titans play the Broncos on Christmas Day this year then I think that would be a YES. ;)

Back