Gameday Question

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BorrowMe, Aug 12, 2011.

1. BorrowMe

BorrowMe Rookie

I know in the past Wade Phillips would always show a vanilla defense in the pre-season and then show his true defense in the regular season. Do you guys think Wade is going to show a very vanilla defense come Monday? Or will he go all out on blitzes?

2. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Expect the defense to be very vanilla all preseason. They'll be evaluating talent and won't be concerned with the score of the game either.

3. BorrowMe

BorrowMe Rookie

That's what I was thinking aswell.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Wade knows his defense works. He will be looking to make sure players are in the correct spots & talking to each other. Do players switch off coverage as they are supposed to and are the front 7 making solid reads. I expect to see heavy rotations.

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

YES, it will be vanilla... That said, it will look way different because it will be a 3-4 which we haven't seen since around, 2004 or 2005!!

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I don't know exactly what Wade's going to do with his defense. Going vanilla is definitely an option and something that a lot of coaches do in the preseason.

BUT.

This team needs to work on all the blitzes and stunts as well as the basics. They are... HOPEFULLY... not going to be playing vanilla in the regular season and this is a perfect opportunity to throw players into the fire and make sure that they understand what they need to do when the bullets are flying.

These defenses may be called without regard for down and distance but it wouldn't surprise me to see them called.

7. Rey

Rey Guest

I agree.

I think they are going to work on all the things they have been practicing these past few days.

We have not had time to insert too much exotic stuff as we have so many guys playing new positions that they have mostly been working on getting acclimated.

Maybe with a veteran group that has been in a system for a while you can go vanilla (like our offense) but with this defense we 1) probably don't have a lot of exotic stuff 2) need to work on everything they've learned so far.

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I just hope that they do not try to practice their different in-season type moves............and screw it up so badly, they end up looking like they are vanilla.:wadepalm:

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

They've been coming with corner blitzes from the slot. So we should see some of that at least.

10. Rey

Rey Guest

Yeah I expect to see a few of those.

11. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

During his first year at Dallas I remember he started a bit of a firestorm with the amount of blitzes he was using during the preseason. They were seriously killing guys and pulling out all the stops. Our team has had less of an offseason than those guys so I expect him to mix it up. I don't think we can waltz into the season without letting the defense work on the plays we are going to run.

12. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

I'd be surprised if we didn't show some blitzes.