Game plan per opponent, eh?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

JB Frank Reich was running CRIMINAL pick plays out of his passing sets. He was daring the refs to call it. Completely new wrinkle. OBrien RAN THE SAME STUPID STUFF!! Even after falling behind he's throwing smoke screens and inside runs?

Did you not see this? This was not OBriens first playoff game but it sure looked like it just the same for Watson.

If you want to lay it on Watson's feet that's cool I can agree, but OBrien doesn't escape this clean. No way.

Seegara, TejasTom and Earl34 like this.
  2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Absolutely! For all the supporters nothing changes, he's back next year ... SIXTH YEAR .. but funny thing would be that if OBrien has a losing record next year he might get another extension.

Surreal McCoy likes this.
  3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

& just watching the game you could see open receivers before the pocket collapsed. Routes that would have been money with just a little anticipation. Blitzers that he should have saw.

I'm sure the all 22 would reveal even more the young fella missed.

I'm not mad at him. I feel like he's the kind of guy who will learn. But he had a very bad game.

CWTexansFan, Mr teX, JB and 1 other person like this.
  4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I so would have loved to have seen Toro going after Hilton.

JB, TejasTom and FuzzyLogic like this.
  5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I posted that 4 months ago when the season started. Preaching to the choir.

Surreal McCoy and amazing80 like this.
  6. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

No the issue is last year the offense wasn't built for Watson. It was more under center plays for a pocket passer. Watson thrived, but then OB implements this college style offense and it goes to ****.

7. banned1976

banned1976 American

Why can’t several things exist at once? BoB is a terrible OC, he has been all year. Watson played maybe his worst game of the year yesterday, it happens sometimes to great young QB’s in playoff football. And the defense was miserable on 3rd down.

These are not excuses. In fact they are the opposite. Some people are getting confused by this.

I could write post after post about how much I want O’Brien fired but that won’t make a damn bit of difference. The best I can logically hope for is that the Texans find someone to take over the play calling duties on offense.

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Bob was Bob and Watson had a bad day. It over with. I'm ordering my new cap and finished with this season.

[​IMG]

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

No. I'll continue to hope that Norg is really Cal... or his kid & he reads your post then convinces his dad that dumping BO'b is the best move for Watson, Hopkins, & Jj Watt.

banned1976 and amazing80 like this.
  10. Earl34

Earl34 All Pro

Another example of coaching and execution during the game. The interception was an adjustment by the Texan that was poorly designed and executed. All week we talked about the CB blitz and how the Texans should counter it.

To their credit, the Texans had an adjustment. The Colts' DB anticipated who would be the hot read and jumped the route and made an easy INT. It was a great defensive call and INT. IF you look at the play design, Watson expected the DB to follow Jordan Akins in the seam. Instead, the DB stopped at the first down marker and waited for Griffin to run the out route.

If Watson holds the ball for a second longer, he sees Akins wide open in the seam, but its 4th down, you can't trust the OL and he has to get rid of the ball quickly. The way the DB sat on the first down marker and totally ignored Akins was like he guarded two TEs to the first down marker and then double teamed Griffin. Why cover Akins when he's had two or fewer catches in every game.

I bet if they run that exact play, but replace Akins with Carter, Coutee, or even Smith, the DB does not defend two players for 5 yards, their speed would have made him show the coverage sooner. Also, for a play like that, why is Akins so close to Griffin? It becomes a much bigger window for Watson, if Akins can take his man further away from Griffin. It's just a poorly designed play made worst by a bad, quick decision.

Surreal McCoy and santo like this.

11. Earl34

Earl34 All Pro

Also, the Colts did a great job with disguising the coverage, a DB followed Coutee across the formation. As a result, Watson was expecting man coverage. However, they showed man on the slot WR (Coutee), but then played zone on the opposite side. They totally fooled the young QB.

We were just outcoached and outplayed by a better team.

banned1976, santo and thunderkyss like this.
  12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Good take. However, looks like the DB on Akin was watching Watson the whole time. He saw Watson eyeball Griffen & dropped Akins. He basically got lucky that Griffen cut I his direction & Watson threw the ball right to him.

Also don't know if that had been Carter it would have made a difference. Watson pretty much ignored him. It was Hopkins or QT after Smythe couldn't catch that bomb.

Earl34 likes this.
  13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

One day... one day we'll be able to say, "We outcoached them."

santo likes this.
  14. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I wish the Chargers would have won it all the year after firing Marty back in the day. Then it would be easier to argue we should fire BO'b.

But, when have I ever taken the easy road? Fire BO'b. Fire BO'b hire Brian Schottenheimer as an offering to the football gods.

KA4Texan, santo and Uncle Rico like this.
  16. KA4Texan

KA4Texan Clueless Wonder

Oh playoff time is rollin, but the Texans have no sign of showin.. so since we didnt put on a show....

Bill's gotta go, gotta go, gotta go.......

Bah humbug!

17. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Veteran

Knowing now the second place team in the division is much better than the first kinda ugly ups that hat. I'm sure they'll sell a bunch of em though, being better than two other teams seems to be a big deal for the Texans.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  18. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Can we just spread the blame evenly after yesterday’s game and move on?

O’Brien-25%
    Rick Smith-25%
    Rome Crennel-25%
    Deshaun Watson-25%

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Make it 20% each and add Gaine.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Thorn's gotta be in there somwhere.