Game 12...Here Comes 9...Cleveland Browns!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JamTex, Nov 27, 2018.

1. JamTex

JamTex Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!

On Sunday, December 2nd at 12 noon CST, The Texans will take on the Cleveland Browns at home at NRG Stadium. The game will be aired on TV on CBS 11 and on radio on AM SportsTalk 610.

The emotion from the loss of Bob Mcnair will still be high. The team will still be playing inspired football. I fully expect the offense to be even better in this one then they were against the Tacks.
    The defense will be all over Baker. He's going to have a hard time being "Dangerous" against this front 7.

Here are the 2 teams...

Your Houston Texans
    Offense:
    WR DeAndre Hopkins Vyncint Smith
    LT Julie'n Davenport Martinas Rankin
    LG Senio Kelemete
    C Nick Martin Greg Mancz
    RG Zach Fulton
    RT Kendall Lamm
    TE Ryan Griffin Jordan Thomas Jordan Akins
    WR Keke Coutee DeAndre Carter
    WR Demaryius Thomas Sammie Coates Jr.
    QB Deshaun Watson Brandon Weeden Joe Webb III
    RB Lamar Miller Alfred Blue Buddy Howell

Defense:
    DE J.J. Watt Christian Covington Carlos Watkins
    NT Brandon Dunn
    DE D.J. Reader Angelo Blackson Joel Heath
    SAM Whitney Mercilus Brennan Scarlett
    MIKE Benardrick McKinney Brian Peters
    WILL Zach Cunningham Josh Keyes Peter Kalambayi
    JACK Jadeveon Clowney Duke Ejiofor
    CB Johnathan Joseph Shareece Wright Natrell Jamerson Johnson Bademosi
    CB Kareem Jackson Aaron Colvin Deante Burton
    S Tyrann Mathieu Mike Tyson
    S Justin Reid Andre Hal A.J. Moore

Special Teams:
    K Ka'imi Fairbairn
    P Trevor Daniel
    LS Jon Weeks
    KR DeAndre Carter Keke Coutee
    PR DeAndre Carter Keke Coutee
    H Trevor Daniel

The Cleveland Browns
    Offense:
    WR1 Jarvis Landry Rashard Higgins Breshad Perriman
    LT Greg Robinson Desmond Harrison
    LG Joel Bitonio Austin Corbett
    C JC Tretter
    RG Kevin Zeitler Earl Watford
    RT Chris Hubbard
    TE1 David Njoku Seth DeValve Pharaoh Brown
    WR2 Antonio Callaway Damion Ratley Da'Mari Scott
    QB Baker Mayfield Tyrod Taylor Drew Stanton
    RB Nick Chubb Duke Johnson Jr. Dontrell Hilliard
    TE2 Darren Fells Orson Charles

Defense:
    LDE Myles Garrett Chris Smith
    LDT Larry Ogunjobi Carl Davis
    RDT Trevon Coley Brian Price
    RDE Emmanuel Ogbah Anthony Zettel Chad Thomas
    WILL Genard Avery Tanner Vallejo
    MIKE Joe Schobert Ray-Ray Armstrong
    SAM Jamie Collins Sr. D'Juan Hines
    LCB Denzel Ward Phillip Gaines
    RCB T.J. Carrie Tavierre Thomas Juston Burris
    FS Damarious Randall Briean Boddy-Calhoun Jermaine Whitehead
    SS Jabrill Peppers Derrick Kindred

Special Teams:
    P Britton Colquitt
    K Greg Joseph
    H Britton Colquitt
    KR Jabrill Peppers Antonio Callaway
    PR Jabrill Peppers Antonio Callaway
    LS Charley Hughlett

The Browns come to town with Baker Mayfield, Jarvis Landry and rookie phenom running back Nick Chubb controlling their offense. Even still, they aren't much. 18th ranked offense in the league. Again. The Texans defense just has to key on Chubb and stop their running game to effectively shut down their offense. After that it would be on Mayfield and Landry which won't even be close to enough. This seems to be a theme with the Texans. Shut down the running game of the opposing team, shut down their offense. Maybe it's because the Texans have been going against teams that rely too heavily on the run, therefore making it obvious what needs to be stopped. This Texans D will get it done.
    On Offense, Deshaun and the boys shouldn't have much resistance going against a putrid Cleveland defense. That weak defense is ranked 31st in the league in total yards allowed, 23rd in scoring allowed, 29th against the pass and 28th against the run.
    Deshaun will have a big day. Miller will have a big day, again. Hopkins, D Thomas and Coutee will have a big day. The 2 Jordans and Griffin will have a big day. Basically, the Texans should completely dominate this game.
    In front of their home crowd, the Texans will perpetuate an onslaught against a defenseless Cleveland team. Here comes 9 in a row!

Texans 42
    Browns 17

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Totally looking forward to this game. Browns got some swag to them. Texans should win this but browns are a solid team. Getting rid of those two coaches was way over due

DocBar, Carr Bombed and steelbtexan like this.
  3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Hope Coutee’s assumed absence (reinjured hamstring) doesn’t hurt the offense too much.

Browns will be a tough game on a short week. They have done a great job spreading the ball around with Mayfield and the quick passing game. Their defense can get to the QB as well. Texans will have to avoid a trap game scenario and come out firing!

DocBar and Texas Jake like this.
  4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Yea this definitely is a trap game scenario with a short week and folks likely looking ahead to the following weeks game vs Indy.
    I dunno but I predict those Sooners will be south bound on 45 this weekend

Carr Bombed likes this.
  5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The Texans win 9 in a row? Is that even possible? I thought there were laws preventing that.

But seeing how this is Harris County, and we have different laws for illegal things here, I suppose it's possible.

DocBar and Carr Bombed like this.
  6. JamTex

Dylan Cole has been activated to the 53 man roster and Josh Keyes was released. Good stuff. That's a boost to an already dangerous Texans defense. Baker is going to have a rough day Sunday.

Texas Jake, Texazan and TheRealJoker like this.
  7. KA4Texan

KA4Texan Clueless Wonder

I'm impressed with 8, but I'm not giving them 9 til they do it.

Go get it Texans!

8. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Here is an opponent who can rise up and slap us. They aren't the dog they used to be. But I think the charm lasts another week. Toros 25, Greens 20.

Texas Jake likes this.
  9. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Baker Mayfield has been playing great since Jackson was fired. Their defense is respectable and hopefully Williams doesn't put a bounty on Watson for the game.

Too much momentum for the good guys. They continue to gel and build for the playoffs.

HOU 30
    CLE 13

10. Texazan

Texazan Our HOF 34

I like us in a very similar game to what we just saw last night. I don’t expect any let down. We have a QB that exceeds any physical and mental talent we’ve had to date of this franchise and the D is looking stout. It’ll be interesting to see how much Cole gets in.

Texans 35-20

FWIW I just saw Reggie Homer Wayne say we’ll lose to the Browns and Indy beats us at home and INDY will win the division.

Texas Jake likes this.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Nice reference to bounty-gate there

12. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Baker Mayfield has been looking pretty good as of late, I wouldn't expect a cakewalk.

13. JamTex

He also played 2 average at best defenses against Atlanta and Cincinnati. Both of which seem to be on a downward turn this late in the year. He's going to be facing a defense like he hasn't seen thus far this year with Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, Mathieu, Jackson, McKinney and others bearing in on him every play. It's going to be a very tough night for him. Chubb and Landry will get theirs, but for the most part, watch them get shut down.
    Then there's the 2nd worst defense in the league having to face Watson, Hopkins, Thomas, Miller and other dangerous offensive players. This should be a score fest for the Texans offense.
    I just don't see the Browns playing up to the standard this Texans team will set from the outset of this game.
    They are playing against the Texans in front of an NRG Stadium crowd that can get loud to the extreme and cheer their Texans on. That makes it even tougher, especially in light of the emotions that will still be present after the passing of Mr. McNair.
    This will be the 9th in a row.

14. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

To be honest, this game scares me. It looks too much like one of those matchups we have seen in the Texans' and Oilers' past that they are suppose to win, but the other team puts on an unexpectedly good performance. Still, I am predicting the Texans stomps on 'em.

Texans 42 Browns 10

15. bigmck

bigmck Veteran

I think you covered about every angle for a correct prediction. :)

16. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

34=17 good guys for rest of home games, I like not being nervous and leaving a few minutes early

steelbtexan likes this.
  17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Mayfield had one of the worst drop rates in games 3-8 in the NFL. Since Jackson and Halley was fired, the drop rate has gotten much lower. Mayfield is also getting the ball out much more quickly since then. The Browns have been competitive in just about every game. They aren't a guaranteed win by any stretch of the imagination.

Texas Jake likes this.
  18. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

We need to beat their ass so bad they give us one of our draft picks back just to stop.

19. Haywood

Haywood Noob

The problem with using total yards allowed is that it's heavily skewed by the fact that the Browns have played 4 OTs. If you either look at yards per play or remove the yards they've given up in OT, the Browns are very much middle of the pack on defense.
    They've also played 7 games against top-10 offenses. In 7/11 games this season they've held their opponents to fewer points than their average - and a season low for New Orleans.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  20. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

Context. The last two games they have played two horrid defenses. Bottom of the list in yards allowed, points allowed, 3rd down stops, giving up 1st downs, sacks and lower third in forcing turnovers.

Outside of 3rd down stops where the Texans are the middle of the pack, they rank Top 5 or Top 10 in all of those categories.

Also, while their first 5 games of the season were very close, three of their four losses since then were blowouts by 15, 16 and 24 points.

I don't want to look past them, but it's kind of silly they way we see Cleveland as a danger now because of 2 good games against bad teams, but we argue constantly about the "fake" Texans 8-game win streak.