Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Game 1...Monday Night Football...New Orleans Saints!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JamTex, Sep 1, 2019.

1. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Huh? I'm so confused. You were saying they don't have enough talent to beat playoff teams. Are you now saying they do?

2. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

And the wannabe TT gm's castigated them for it.

Texans management has done a 180 in their modus operandi and some on here are still whining.

I approve. No more automatic contract renewals, earn it or move on. "Here's your apple and roadmap" :)

Goes for you too OBrien.

Not too sure who it is but there is definitely a new sheriff in town.

:coffee:

3. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

They aren't working hard. They are trading and over paying with future assets in lieu of working hard.

O'Brien even said so

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm saying they are talented enough but need experience. They are in yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

Eh , it was a hard trade to take on a couple levels.

#1 they just spent their first round pick on a guy who was supposed to be …. that guy. Some of us called it a reach then and that's pretty obvious now.

#2 the cost was out of this world. That was damn near Hershel Walker territory (two first-round picks, three second-round picks and a third-round selection.)

#3 They didn't negotiate an extension as part of the trade and that's the biggest issue I have with the deal. I can accept the cost for a good player at a position of dire need even if it was an overpay - I cant accept not locking him in long term when it cost you that much draft capital.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

Don't you mean year 6 of a 3 year rebuild ??

Or do the years before Watson not count ?

thunderkyss, ROO and santo like this.
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They gave up two 1sts for a stud young LT. Hardly overpaying. The hard work is finding gems like Reid/Stills/Coutee in the 3rd or later. You would know this if you would take off your BOB hate filled glasses.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The yrs with the incompetence of RS dont count,.

9. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

1: They never once said that Howard was their LT of the future. In fact they said, which many crucified them for, that they didn't know what he would play. People are talking about our first round pick as though it was a top 15; 1.23 for a LG or RG of 10 years is great value.

2: Agreed the cost was high but the cost of finding a new franchise QB would be much greater and with Tunsil at least you know he's not going to be a bust like a draft pick. Likewise Johnson and Hyde have already proven to be better than any RB we have had since Foster and even Stills looked like he belonged out there. Its just like going shopping, you can pay a cheaper price and not know what you are getting or you can pay more and get the proven, name brand stuff. Sometimes the cheap stuff is ok and works and sometimes its better just to pony up the extra money.

3. I've thought about this and at first I agreed with you but the more I thought about it the more I saw a possible reason they didn't. Tunsil knows that LTs are getting stupid money and the price will only go up, likewise he knows the Texans had to protect Watson and protect him now. People keep going on and on about Clowney's power Tunsil has got real power and if he doesn't want to sign a new deal till he sees the market what are the Texans going to do, not play him? Even if you say "they should have walked away from the deal then" where are you going to find another stud LT and more important one that a team is willing to trade? It wouldn't surprise me if Tunsil wasn't the one that said no long term deal right now.

10. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

You would know that Rick also found late round gems like Chris Myers, Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, Wade Smith, Arian Foster, Antonio Smith, Glover Quin, Owen Daniels, Mike Brisiel. You would know this if you would take off your RS hate filled glasses.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

12. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Yeah, just like BOB, RS was middling. Seen lots of history on this, seemed to do better than average on his #1 and UDFA, and below average on the middle rounds, and for some reason we really miss rd3 (Reid exception!). Always left us with stars, but no depth. So if we want super bowls, change was good. First try GM, then if still struggling, hit the coach

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

ALL teams are ALWAYS in rebuild mode. Just some more than others.

14. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Mathematically Possible

Completely understand the intent of calling the timeout - but I understand the concerns about Bob's lack of game management awareness...

IF the only reason you are calling a timeout is in the hopes of the officials reviewing a play, then just throw the flag. The end result is the same e.g. the play is reviewed, and you only lose one timeout.

IF he called the time out for some other reason then during the time out someone says "hey we think Nuk got the first" and the officials didn't review then you throw the flag, but you may want to be prepared to answer the "WTF" question after the game.

CWTexansFan and dream_team like this.
  15. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 Fire Fat Travolta

Drafting garbage and trading talent for magic beans and lousy coaches don’t help.

Less talented teams beat better talented teams. That just doesn’t happen here.

TheKDog likes this.
  16. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I don't know if the Texans, under OB, have ever run a 4th down play without calling a TO first. At least a short 4th down. Seems they're always on the fence about it, then when a decision is finally made, the play clock has run down and they don't have time to get the play in, line up, and run it.

That's exactly what it looked like again Monday. Even without the challenge entering the equation, OB never seems to be able to decide if he wants to go for it or not, takes his sweet ass time, then either has to call a timeout if he decides to go for it, or the punt team has to rush the play or take the delay of game.

Just another example of not having a grasp on situational football, and probably having too much on his freaking plate. And it's been like that the entire time he's been here. He's not getting better at it.

TheKDog and santo like this.
  17. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

So the Saints came out with either a 7 or 6 man box in the first two series.

The Texans got a few decent-nice runs out of it.
    Why switch to the pass?

And yeah, the Saints got a couple of sacks without blitzing.

Take what the defense gives you, didn't they say?

Why try to outsmart yourself?

Brees looks like a rookie QB on that INT.

Sometimes I feel like I watch a wrestling match, where it's mostly about entertainment.

In certain games, like this one, it feels the same.

I used to bet a little on football, but I stopped.
    I think it has a bad effect on the game.
    I used to love this game so much.

But never mind the conspiracy theory.
    Brees still made one of the worst throws of his career.

And I still don't understand not running against a 6-7 man box, especially when you're having success with it.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Been there, done that. Ain't won nothing.

ROO likes this.
  19. thunderkyss

& more productive than any 3rd/4th WR we've ever had. The future is looking bright.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  20. thunderkyss

Yes.

Except I think Owen Daniels was Casserly.

dream_team, CWTexansFan and JB like this.