Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Game 1...Monday Night Football...New Orleans Saints!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JamTex, Sep 1, 2019.

1. KoolAid Sipper

KoolAid Sipper Rookie

Its seems like almost every time we get filled with hope we get fooled. Reminds me of when I was kid hearing " Woulda Coulda Shoulda".

thunderkyss, ROO and TxnsJuggernaut1 like this.
  2. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Just stop.

dream_team and santo like this.
  3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I know the negativity on this MB is at an all time high.

BOB did a great job last night. The defense let them down at the end. It happens, things are going to get better.

Great game

4. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

In that case you just throw the red flag.

Max likes this.
  5. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

I can see your point and in hind sight you are exactly correct. I did hear one talking head this morning say something about just using the time out hoping the refs would review it themselves but that would be wishful thinking. In the end though it wasn't the two timeouts lost that cost us the game.

6. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I agree but he needs to stop making these types of mistakes.

santo and maverick512000 like this.
  7. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 Fire Fat Travolta

Romeo Romeo wherefore art thou defense Romeo

damn we could've finally beaten a top tier team to send notice. I'm glad the Texans played well. I'm glad it was a very entertaining game. But I don't just watch them to play well or be entertained. I want to watch them win.

Next week we'll likely beat the jags. BFD. Been there done that. Beat the better teams for the love of god!!!!!!!!!!

ROO and santo like this.
  8. santo

santo Hall of Fame

3 time AFC South Champions, Brian!

ROO and TejasTom like this.
  9. CPTTexan

CPTTexan Rookie

I feel confident in your assessment, however, we tend to crap the bed against QB's making their 1st career start.

ROO likes this.
  10. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Texans are favored by 9 against the jags

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 Fire Fat Travolta

Yes BoB aka coach musket is good making the playoffs then only good for one round hence the new name.

maverick512000 and santo like this.
  12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Some quick thoughts grades:
    O'Brien made some errors but overall games especially first half was much better than I and the group I was with expected. He gets a b from me but I'm puzzled at link I got today stating how great OC Kelly did. I thought it was obvious who was calling the plays entire game

Special teams overall looks really good grade C+

DC Crennel had a b grade from me at halftime however 3rd quarter Brought that down to an overall grade F.
    New acquisition left tackle tunsil really impressed me. I can recall only two negative plays one led to a QB sack the other he stood looking left and right and Blocked no one. Going to give him a optimistic Grade B.

#22 corner Colvin often looked totally lost. Despite his dead money I think he should be cut today. Let's give Lonnie Johnson some snaps with starters.

Combo RBs get A+! (Blocking not included). I want our backs to get yardage, first Downs, TD's and help control clock. Pass blocking is there but that's what we have fullback for.
    Duke 9/57 rush and 4/5 targets for 33 yrs. Hyde 10/83 is crazy good. If these two can maintain anywhere close to that we should have a successful offense.

CWTexansFan and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. justmy2cents

justmy2cents All Pro

KD, heard anything about Watson's lower back ?

14. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Nothing yet

justmy2cents likes this.
  15. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I'm not as angry as everyone else in regards to the challenge. I was happy BOB took a timeout so they had time to check the replay and make sure they wanted to challenge. It looked very close, and in real time, I thought Nuk had the first. 610 explained this morning that the guys in the Texans booth are simply watching the broadcast, they do NOT have access to any additional video (unsure if this is true or not). For some reason, the broadcast didn't do a replay on that play, so the booth didn't have any additional info on the play... therefore they just went ahead and challenged.

16. ROO

ROO Not A Staff Member

I want to bring up what TK mentioned earlier. If Lutz had missed that winning field goal and the Texans had won, our feelings would be skewed way to the positive right now - am betting that there would have already been many claims of Superbowl wins in the Texans future.

But in reality, if Lutz makes or misses that kick, the team played the same regardless. So if we would all be amped up over a win, or bummed out over a loss, the team is what they were last night. Win or lose on that last second kick.

Right now, I am leaning toward the positive. Of course, there is this nagging voice in the back of my mind softly saying BOB... BOB...

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Perhaps some would be focused on just the w and while I would enjoy a W I would be realistic enough to look at the negatives especially the 3rd quarter plan by Crennel.

ROO likes this.
  18. Max

Max Hall of Fame

They did a replay right away on the television broadcast but it wasn't at a good angle to see if the spot was correct. So prior to the season, BOB talked w/ his guys in the booth and the plan was that if they're not sure if a play should be challenged, that they should call a timeout to give them time to decide if they should challenge the play? I just don't think that this is a good plan. Go with what your guys see in the booth or what you saw on the field and challenge the call. If you're lucky enough that they show a replay where you can feel better about challenging the play, then take advantage of it. But you can't rely on that -- there's a reason teams rush to get a play off after a bad spot or bad catch call. They don't want the other team to have time to review it before they challenge it. My problem is that I really don't think that the coaching staff has ever sat down and come up w/ a good plan for challenges. That was clearly true when Lechler was getting BOB's attention while he was coaching up his guys to challenge a play a while back. I don't think that this has been improved upon, and I think that the better coaches in the league are absolutely spending a great deal of time on the details like this and how to milk the clock at the end of games w/ 'injuries' and every other little detail that a team can take advantage of to win games. When you've shown a penchant for screwing up details like this, you don't get the benefit of the doubt IMO when something questionable like this comes up again. And no, I'm not BOB hating. It's just an area that I feel is fair criticism of him and it's an area that needs to be improved because it absolutely can affect the outcome of games.

dream_team, ROO and santo like this.
  19. maverick512000

That's actually really clever, I like that.

20. maverick512000

I get what you are saying and overall I agree but at the same time I don't think the calling the timeout is in and of itself a bad thing. Its looks bad in hindsight because the call didn't go our way but if it had it would have looked like a good move. On that particular play I listened to the radio and they were arguing about it, I went back and watched one of the broadcasts and they were arguing about it and honestly if it hadn't been the Saints, and the ref call history they have, and the superdome it still might have gone in the Texans favor.

I agree BoB needs to improve on challenges but that's one of those things its hard to improve on. That's no excuse because it is a big part of the HC job. even though he did well last night calling I was hoping he would hire a real OC to take that off his plate and let him focus more on things like challenges but its a power he couldn't and/or wouldn't give up.