fumbles

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanTider, Nov 2, 2006.

1. TexanTider

TexanTider Rookie

I've been a Carr fan but if he drops the rock one more time I'm gonna be sick. I don't care about missed blocks, or even if Godzilla drops out of the sky unblocked....Hold on to the rock

2. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

I agree, and what frustrates me is that most of the hits that are forcing the fumbles don't even seem to be big hits. It seems like someone will just hit his arm or leg from the other side and the ball pops loose. He's taken bigger hits during his career than the ones he's taken this year and been able to hold on to the ball.

This makes me think that he just hasn't had the awareness of what is going on the field around him. It's like he has his head up his @$$ and doesn't realize that someone is near him, then they "touch" him and he loses the ball.:brickwall

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Getting hit in the arms will do that more than getting pummeled on a hard hit (assuming you don't pass out or something), but no excuses because he certainly does fumble too much and I'm getting tired of it too.

That LB for Chicago (Urlacher?) gets a lot of good tackles and causes fumbles that way, but people say he doesn't hit hard enough. You see what I'm saying? He stops runners and causes fumbles. Who cares if he doesn't make popping sounds when he hits them?

4. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

"and been able to hold on to the ball."

As other posters have pointed out, Carr has had a fumbling problem his entire NFL career--62 fumbles, 65 games.:brickwall

5. phan1

phan1 All Pro

That's really alarming. Once a fumbler always a fumbler IMO. Hopefully I'm wrong. I remember some guy made a ridiculous system on grading QBs with the least mistakes. Carr was #2 on that list...:rolleyes:

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I'm afraid that's proving more true everyday with QBs in particular. :brickwall

7. eric138

eric138 Veteran

small hands?

Maybe he doesn't have the monkey fingers needed to wrap around the ball.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I remember the same discussions (albeit not on message boards) going on about Warren Moon - who still holds the NFL record.

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Or...the person doing his manicures is leaving a residue on his hands causing him to fumble. Or maybe when he begins to sweat during a game the gel in his hair is mixed with his sweat which inturn ends up in his hands while wiping his brow.:cool:

10. phan1

phan1 All Pro

I would compare the situation to Warner. Back when he manned the "greatest sho on turf", he had a great line to protect him. Ever since those 2 superbowls, he's been a turnover machine ever since. Our line might just have to simply get better to keep our fumbles down.

11. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

To me they are two independent requirements after 4 1/2 years.

1) Carr needs to be better.
    2) The line needs to be better.

I'm tired of them being excuses for each other. Time to step up as individuals since we can't as a team.

infantrycak likes this.
  12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'm siding with this sentiment. Although, I will say, I have seen far too many times where the LT just whiffs and the end comes running around and smacks Carr's arm just as he's drawing back to throw. I put very few of those type fumbles on Carr. The ones this past week were on him, even though Wiegert was letting KVB into the backfield on a regular basis.

thunderkyss likes this.
  13. TexanTider

TexanTider Rookie

There is no doubt that our line needs work but you can watch 50 other college quarterbacks on Saturday that have a better grasp of holding on to the ball..

Granted the pass rushers are not as good in college, but neither are the quarterbacks..

thunderkyss likes this.
  14. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

One would think that he'd be an expert on protecting the ball while being sacked. 200+ sacks in four seasons should have at least taught him that basic lesson.

15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Unless he's lost all feeling in his hands after having them whacked so much.

16. Beer and Metal

Beer and Metal Buzzed Cacophony

I wonder what the fumble to sack ratio is. You'd think most of those fumbles would be sacks if he had held on to the ball.

17. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Warner broke his hand and hasn't been the same since.

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't know the answer to this, really, but it piqued my interest enough to go look up a few things. First off, Carr's lost 20 of the 62 fumbles. He's been sacked 228 times. I'm not sure how many of those sacks also resulted in fumbles, but there's definitely some overlap.

I was havin a hard time thinking of any QBs that played behind poor offensive lines and had any success, but there were a couple QBs that played behind some poor teams that had success later in their career. In today's ADHD world, those QBs wouldn't likely be given that shot anymore, but neverhteless ...

Randall Cunningham - His first five years as a starter for the Eagles, he endured 277 sacks and fumbled 57 times. He fumbled only 45 times over the next 10 years of his career.

John Elway - 1990 to 1994 was the worst stretch of Elway's career, with regards to sacks. He was sacked 209 times and fumbled 51 times.

I'm not sure what was going on with their teams during that span, but the rest of their careers turned out OK. I'm not sure too many QBs could have been on this Texans team from 2002 to present, coming in as a rookie, and done any better with the coaching and surrounding team during that time.

This is not intended to exonerate Carr in any way; I'm just saying, maybe there's some hope. Regardless who is at QB back there, they're going to need better protection that what this team has been offering for going on five years now.

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

It didnt matter who the QB was the first 3 years.

The line steadily gets better but it is still at the bottom of the league.

20. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Maybe he is an expert. How many of those 200 + sacks led to fumbles? Maybe that is what we should look at.