Frye Cut, Then Re-Signed to PS

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ArlingtonTexan, Sep 2, 2008.

1. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4587

2. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

So this move gives us 52 players on the active roster? Perhaps giving us room to sign another RB.

Does Frye still have PS eligibility?

3. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Making room for Tatum Bell?

4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

He should, i don't remember him being active more than a game or two.

5. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

That good then, hopefully we bring him back if he clear the wavier wire. I like what I saw from him during pre-season, and was hoping he would make the transition to guard, because honestly, I don't think much of Brisel or Studdard at the guard position.

We should let loose one of the WR or that OL from the Cowboys to make room for him.

6. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm begin to lose a little confidence in the management of the team. I can see keeping Salaam over Frye because of the experience, but to keep Studdard over Frye defies logic. Studdard put on a pitiful display at guard all preseason and Frye played pretty darn well at RT, even though they think he's a guard. Really not happy with this one- and when you combine it with cutting Maddox and keep Zgoniga and a couple of other head-scratchers, I'm a little concerned.

Hopefully Frye will go to practice squad but man this move troubles me!

keyser likes this.
  7. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

NOOOOOOOOO k

I really hope this wasn't to make room for Tatum though.

8. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Please, please god NO NO NO

I'm hoping it's a CB... or some other RB.

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm still trying to figure out why they kept two wide recievers on the practice squad, but yet no 3rd QB.

10. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

all i can figure is that they are cooking something up. it really doesn't seem to make sense to me.

i wouldn't go so far as to say i'm loosing faith in the management, but i am very curious as to their motivation.

they really roughed me up with the cuts.

11. maddogmrb

maddogmrb All Pro

I agree with Dale and Barrett. Some of these cuts/transactions just don't make sense. To me, Frye has more upside than Studdard and Maddox outplayed just about everybody on our DL this preseason. Let's see, how many times has Zgonia's (sp?) name been called on defense? Yep, that would be a big fat zero that I can recall. Add 2 WR and no 3rd QB on the practice squad and I gots to scratch my head and wonder.

:fans:

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The only conclusion I can draw is that its just plain old fashioned cronyism. And in this case, Kubiak is passing out personal favors at the expense of MY FOOTBALL TEAM, and I don't like it one damn bit.
    Kubiak is the one who insisted on bringing in Gibbs and his ZB system and making an organizational commitment to win with that approach. Then he proceeds to sabotage his own plan by releasing an OLineman who clearly epitimizes the athleticism needed in Gibbs system while retaining one
    who just as clearly lacks those same athletic skills.

Runner likes this.
  13. stiff

stiff Rookie

I am not sold that Bell will be brought it, of course by the time I get done typing this there will probably be news that we will sign him. If we wanted a broken down back why not go after Alexander

I think more likely the Texans will bring in a DB to help with coverage or maybe the pass rush. Except for a shoulder injury Fernando Bryant may help in the secondary until D-Rob gets back. Another interesting player could be Willie Anderson, who was cut by the Bengals. With the Steelers coming up he may be an interesting option. Another option that is probably no chance is Ty Law is still a free agent...

14. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'm not losing confidence - I've never thought the team leadership was error free in the first place. :)

This front office/coaching combination is just as capable of making bad moves as good moves. This is no different from anyone else. They've got a decent track record so far, however without a strong winning record in the next couple of years their long term strategy may be open to criticism.

Of course it will be in hindsight by then.

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Add me to the list of skeptics. This move is low on the impact meter, but it's a (very small) step in the wrong direction, IMO.

16. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I agree - I forgot to mention that I wasn't worried about this specific move.

They need to start palying the games so we can see where they really are.

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I was big a Frye fan when he got drafted last year - loved his athleticism; thought he'd take one of the guard spots - but he disappointed me. First, he got a twisted ankle in T/C (hell, it might have been during OTAs) so he fell behind in reps. Then when we were having all those injuries at the end of the year, he never stepped up like Brisiel did at guard.

soooo.... it could be as simple as Frye could never could crack the dress-out lineup and just maybe, this new guy, Stenavich, had more upside - don't know, never seen him. So it made more sense to put him (Stenavich) on the practice squad rather than let Frye sit on the P/S for yet another year when his improvement was marginal.

Also, I have a hard time seeing Smithiak fiddle with Gibbs' OL gang w/o Gibbs' blessing. That makes NO sense.

And remember, this squad isn't cast in concrete just yet.
    So don't
    :panic:.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
    Shaft75 likes this.
  18. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

I bet there is a method/reason behind their madness - and it ain't Tatum Bell.

There is something cookin' in the kitchen - we just don't know what it is yet.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

While there is confusion about the motivation for these moves on my part also, I possible find a positive sign that Butler's injury is not serious. Of course, if he is, the only explanation I have for these moves is that the Texans are trying to :gun:

20. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I too have been a little puzzled about some of their moves but am willing to give them a chance to prove themselves. As far as keeping Studdard over Frye, the only reason I can think of is that Studdard is a pure Guard and Frye is a Tackle that they were going to try at Guard. And, since they were short on Guards, due to Weary, Jackson, and Stevenson all being on IR, and they already had 4 Tackles, they went with the player who had more experience at Guard. I still think Frye will end up on the PS.

As for keeping Zgonina over Maddox, that one really had me stumped, but I think it may have had to do with Zgonina being the backup LS to Pittman. They also had Dreessen listed as the 3rd string LS, but I don't think he has much experience doing it. I think I heard he just learned to do it this year.

Also, why they didn't put Boyd or Brink on the PS has me concerned too. I guess they just felt like rolling the dice with Matt and Sage. Hope they can stay healthy. JMHO!