From the ashes, Lamar's football program reborn

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by axman40, May 14, 2010.

1. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

John Evans tried to avoid the campus buzz that suggested his Lamar University football team was about to be eliminated. It was November 1989, about a week before Thanksgiving, and Lamar's All-American quarterback had other things on his mind.He was a newlywed, with a family. And he spent as much time as he could studying game film, not becoming obsessed with a largely political situation that he couldn't control.
    Yet Evans, who now is an Austin-based musician, was worried about whether his team could pull out a win McNeese State in the game's final moments.
    Unlike the world of college athletics politics, Evans could control wins and losses. On the last drive of the last game, he directed the Cardinals 80 yards — converting a long fourth-down play along the way — to propel Lamar to a 22-17 victory over its top rival.
    http://www.statesman.com/sports/fro...-program-reborn-689357.html?srcTrk=RTR_504016
    :tiphat:

2. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Yeah, it's going to be very rough on us the first several years no doubt.

And to those wondering, yes i am attending this establishment of higher edumacation. :rake:

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm going to try to catch a couple of games.

4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

If I come back home I will try to make it a Lamar/Texans weekend.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I recall a player from that school that did well with The Oilers - Eugene Seale. Perhaps one of my top five special teams players of all time.