From PFW-More on Casserly's Incompetence

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CowboysTexansFan, Nov 16, 2005.

1. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

Here is something from the Audibles section of Pro Football Weekly (this week's issue), which contains quotes "from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on condition of anonymity."

"How much of McNair's money did Houston give Tony Boselli for never taking a snap in a game? The guy had a 3 percent chance to return and never played a down, but between him and Ryan Young, what did they take home--$9 or $10 million? To have an owner willing to spend in free agency is a tremendous advantage. There's no reason their offensive line should be as terrible as it is."

2. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Maybe I could understand the newsworthiness of that piece if it was dated in the Fall of '03.

Ryan Young was dirt cheap - $563k cap hit in '02.

3. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

I think the point was, how much were both Boselli and Young paid while they were here? Obviously, the overwhelming majority was paid to Boselli.

4. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Really ! That's chump change compared to some of the gargantuan sums
    of cap funds Cass & Capers have been squandering on some of these
    other brilliant selections.

5. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

The author doesn't seem to know that. The inference is that Young was a financial blunder along with Bos. ["between (Boselli) and Ryan Young..."]

Young was basically a NFL minimum guy with "high potential."

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

We would not have both Payne and Walker if we hadn't agreed to take Boselli off the Jaguars' hands. I think it was a risk that the front office was willing to take.

7. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

I don't interpret the comment the same way you do. My takeaway is that McNair is willing to spend serious money on players, but our front office doesn't know how to spend it wisely. Young had a low pay grade, but if the Texans (an expansion team) cut him after only one year, he obviously wasn't going to cut the mustard as a starter.

8. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

Double Barrel-

There has been a recent discussion on another thread which seems to indicate that we would have gotten at least one of those other players (Walker or Payne).

9. Double Barrel

Nope. Casserly said in a news article that it was an official deal he made with the Jaguars. I researched it and provided links in that same thread.

10. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

I know about the deal, but I understand that the Jags were in such salary cap hell that they would've had no choice but to make at least one of those D-linemen available in the expansion draft.

If that's true (and I don't claim to know that it is), the deal isn't so compelling for taking on Boselli's huge cap number when there was a marginal chance he'd be able to play. Plus, we helped a division team.

11. Double Barrel

yeah, that falls under speculation. It could definitely be the case, but we'll never know.

Read this post for the research I found. :)

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Casserly has stated on the radio that, at the time, they figured Boselli to be a 50/50 chance to return to form, despite the fact that he passed multiple physicals. Whether that's understated or overstated, I don't know. Take it FWIW.

13. mean mark8

mean mark8 Veteran

Assuming that the "Deal" was for Seth Payne and Gary Walker, does it really make sense to take the hit we did for Boselli to get 2 other defensive linemen? Are you telling me that they were of such a caliber that it made sense to pay an injured player a large sum of money to not play and take the other 2 guys off a cap-plagued team in our own division? Yes, Walker made the pro bowl in our 1st year, so did Aaron Glenn. Was there no other way to get at least respectable defensive linemen at a reduced cost without helping our division rival? I believe there was really substantial risk in going for Boselli and when it didn't work out, the Payne and Walker story became more of a CYA.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Easily one of the best takes I have seen on this board.

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't know why. We were not going to be good for years and the Jags would be out of cap hell one way or another soon anyway. We have been here 4 years now and we know how hard it is to find elite LT's. The risk was worth it for a guy who played at a Hall of Fame level. All it really cost us was some of Bob McNair's cash....I'm glad we have an owner who takes a shot on greatness instead of pinching pennies.

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Yeah, but he had a certain flow to his take, kind of like a perfect Haiku x 5.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think the point is that when you are down, you will be kicked. Often & hard.

Geez, I get so sick of the Boselli thing being rehashed, year after year. Someone please find me one link that said the Texans were making a huge blunder by selecting a player who would never play again. The guy passed the NFL's physical. Willie Roaf did not. When there are so many moves you can bash Casserly on, why drag up this one? Whatever has the Texans sitting at 1-8 in Year 4, it's not the Boselli deal.

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'm not going to claim to understand capology in the NFL, but there was some artificially-imposed cap hit on us in Year one (and maybe two) that came up at about $10 million. During one of the Casserly interviews, it came up and he explained it. Somehow or another, Boselli's contract was partially exempt from that hit or something. As I said, I am very unclear on it, and I've slept since then, but maybe someone else here can add something to it. I just remember there being an approximate $10 mil cap penalty for being an expansion team that somehow tied into the whole Boselli deal.

There! That helped muddle things even further! :tiptoe:

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

And THAT I will have to agree with! :highfive:

20. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

Casserly and Co. deserve all the kicking they are receiving. If the team wasn't 1-8 with no hope in sight (at least not under his leadership), quotes like this wouldn't be appearing in the NFL's trade publication. And I wouldn't be posting them.