Free Safety

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MissouriTexan, Sep 2, 2007.

1. MissouriTexan

MissouriTexan Veteran

Just wondering, does anyone know if we have any more options to go out and grab a FS? If we get one I'll be more than happy with our secondary, which is in my opinion the weak spot of the team.

2. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

According to John McClain, he was on Fox 26 Sports Sunday about 2 hours ago and said that R. Smith is still trying to get another safety. He did not specify FS or SS but I would assume the Texans are trying to get a FS.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

There are some guys on the street.

AND, as Rick mentions, we're fat at TE. We can trade either Dreessen or probably Putzier and possibly get someone.

So... let's see if Rick can find something.

4. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

I hope whoever Rick gets can start at FS, I really don't think I can withstand another season of CC at free safety.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

if not...... I'm really curious to see Von Hutchins get his shot @ FS, actually both Hutchins & Boulware where drafted in the same year (04)? ya never know for sure how players are going to pan out in the NFL from College but maybe, just maybe in a system that fits can come into their own giving the Texans a pair of young & talented safetys :shades:

HJam72 likes this.
  6. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

I think that Donovan Darius was cut by the raiders and he would be a perfect fit due to the fact that he has loads of experience and that we are so young even with M. Boulware on the team. Darius would be a special player for us.

7. The Pencil Neck

Well, I liked his pick against dabearse. I'd feel better at seeing what he can do if he could beat CC for the position outright... which might happen some time during this season if he gets more time to learn the position.

But, still, 5' 9" is really, really small. Aren't FS's usually a bit bigger than that?

8. MissouriTexan

MissouriTexan Veteran

I think we need a FS who's pretty much purely pass defense focused; we have plenty of run defense at this point. Are Darius or VH more hard hitters or coverage guys?

9. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Darius is a hard hitter for sure. He wasn't very effective in coverage last year and that's the reason he got the can. He would just be another SS, and we don't need one right now.

10. MissouriTexan

MissouriTexan Veteran

Never thought we'd be able to say that.

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Bob Sanders is only 5'8"

Ed Reed is a giant @ 5'11"

somewhere in between should be acceptable then :)

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Seems like VH is more ball-hawking, pass D. Don't know about Darius. I totally agree with you on your first sentence.

13. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Josh Gattis FS was released by Jax. He is a rookie was said to be having a good rookie camp. Was 105th taken overall in this years draft. 6'1 211lbs. and runs a 4.55 40.

YellerLotYeller likes this.
  14. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I know a lot of people thought he'd be a good late round sleeper pick out of Wake.Guy just seems like a gamer in the mold of Kerry Rhodes. Not sure if he'd be more a project this year or might be able to crack the lineup during the season but i really wouldn't mind giving him a look.Obviously FS is a glaring need here. Hopefully Rick wil lbe able to find something before the start of the season.

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The better shorter FS's have vertical jump that allow them to compensate for their lack of height. This is somewhat worrisome in that for example Boulware at 6'2" has a vertical jump of 39.5 inches, where as Hutchins has a vertical jump of only 34.5. Von Hutchins is not going to easily be able to consistently pass defense jump balls with today's typically tall WR's and TE's.

Tedc likes this.
  16. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

Good point.

Boulware's strength is his leaping ability and his physical play.

17. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

See this is a pick I never understood on Draft Day. You take Reggie Nelson as your FS with your first overall pick and then they take Gattis in the 5th? Were they trying to convert him? If so, why not take a more traditional SS? They already had Nelson in the fold so to me this was a foolish decision by Jax to take Gattis.

I say lets grab him for the practice squad. Let him develop. Maybe he can be our FS of the future and Harrison can be our SS of the future.

18. The Pencil Neck

Yeah, that was a really weird pick. Like it was insurance in case Nelson didn't pan out.

19. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

So, now is the time to take advantage and grab him for our PS.

20. Hook'er

Hook'er Veteran

I remember Kubiak talking about him pre-draft, it would be nice to pick him up.:texflag: