Free safety/strong safety

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Aug 15, 2007.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Today's Chronicle says Kubes decided to leave CC Brown at free & start Jason Simmons at strong. I thought Brown was a natural SS and I looked forward to what he could do now that Earl is out. Hutchins imo earned a shot at FS with his game play. Nothing against Simmons; but I'd be disappointed if I was Hutchins. I know Kubes will start the best two, but this did catch me off guard.

2. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

well we had no idea what was coming i mean this caught everyone off gaurd with earls injury kubi needed to work something up and fast

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

But did you think Simmons was better for SS than CC?

4. real

real Guest

Since we don't have anyone proven that can respectably play FS for us other than C.C I understand the move...I really wanted to see CC back at SS , but I can understand not wanting Von Hutchins or Simmons to compete to be our last line of defense...I could see Von Hutchins making mistakes and I can see Simmons just being physically beat....often...

The competition now is perfect...

If Von Hutchins steps up and proves he can play FS Simmons slides out and
    C.C slides down....

We all ready know Simmons is going to atleast be respectable at SS...

I think they have been looking to move C.C back to SS for a while now though....That's why there was all the talk about finding a play maker at the FS position and that is why they jumped the gun and almost made an irrational move...The fact that Kubiak said "C.C is a natural SS" let me know we were on the same page....

5. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

That's two of us. Matt Stevens part II.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

this is what the preseason is for...finding out what you got when guys go down.

7. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

C.C. Brown has sucked for two seasons at FS. He canot, will not ever be able to paly in space. Watching flounder around another sixteen games is only going to confirm all of this. Giving him more reps so he might have an epiphany of some sort ain't going to work. He can not make palys. He bites on fakes and he sucks as a FS.

8. real

real Guest

C.C doesn't bite on fakes...

He's not great at coverage and he doesn't have great insticnts as far as pass coverage and timing goes...

So because of this he over compensates by trying to keep everything in front of him and make safe plays...He doesn't take risk and because of his 'safe' play WR's can get some easy pickings...But at the same time he's not normally going to be caught in a position where he gives up a big play...

It's like a slow guy trying to hold a quick guy in basketball....The slower guy is going to back off the quicker guy because de doesn't want the ball handler to just drive past him and dunk...So he'll back off and make him eran it with his jumper...If you're connecting on those jumpers then we're just going to be in trouble....

9. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

no way i was just saying we cant be mad at kubi this must have been hard for him

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I wished I could say I feel better about our D backs but I do not. It is still early and maybe someone will step up.

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Listen to the man....

This is a preseason experiment. Just like seeing if Clark is better than Charlie Anderson. Remember in OTAs, how Kubiak was going on about how Anderson and Orr were slugging it out for that OLB spot. Not a single word about Danny Clark being in the mix that I remember. Yet, here he is starting in P/S game #2 over the two guys coach had been raving and raving about.

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

And to continue on...

Remember when Danny Clark was signed and he said he wanted to come to a place where he'd have a chance to start. :)

What I found interesting was Diles saying that Danny and Demeco were spending a lot of time helping him out and that the three of them hung out a lot together.

13. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Shhhh... don't tell Lee Evans and the Buffalo Bills...

14. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I think the idea with leaving CC at FS and putting Simmons at SS is to cause as little disruption as possible. This way only one starter changes.

I do believe however that if Von Huthcins makes an irresistable case to be the FS that Kubiak would not hesitate in making that change.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Looks like Kubiak fooled the Sports Xchange "experts" too...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/HOU/10296476

GK fooled them too with his experiment.

I found this interesting too....

16. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

17. Matt

Matt Blogfather

I have a basset hound that could play safety better than Matt Stevens ever did.

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

<--- !!

War Jason Simmons.

:includeme:

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

If we're so big on Simmons, lets just play him, but still use Hutchins at FS.

I don't like CC at FS. I don't like CC at FS. I don't like CC at FS. Are you seeing a pattern here?

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Well, realistically, Simmons is probably not good enough to man the position long-term. He's been in the NFL for a decade, and he's had chances to earn a spot. He fills his role very well, though, and he is a hard-working, stand-up quality guy. Every football team needs a few guys like Simmons, and they go unheralded for the work they do. I'm a big Simmons fan, but he's not the long-term (even a full season) answer at S (any S). He hits HARD, though :)