Free agents

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by autch14, Mar 3, 2007.

1. autch14

autch14 Rookie

2. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind having them at all, for the right price. If Ahman's looking for 5 million a season though, let him go and just draft Marshawn Lynch instead.

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

pay attention brothers & sisters-

teams try the best they can to address needs during the free agency period then draft their long term foundation peices via the draft. if somehow the Texans are able to sign both Green & lelie that frees up two, count them two draft picks that can be used on lineman/secondary help :winky:

4. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

You're kidding. Is that how it works?

It's been reported that Green wants five million a year. I don't believe he's worth that. If he signs for less, GREAT!!! Sign him. If not, draft that kid and watch him roll. Use the money Green didn't want to get a player via FA that fills another need.

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

If you read and listen to fans generally, they actually think of them in opposite ways from how many teams operate. The draft nor FA is neither totally BPA versus need, but some mixture of both. As a general rule, free agency normally need is the higher portion of the mix and in the draft BPA takes a larger roll.

The people who are wondering why no impact FA are missing this and all you have to do is look at any of the mock drafts as see how fans think of need in that area.

6. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

Neither one of these two players will make a difference on this team. Lelie has never been a very good reciever IMO and Green is on the downside of his career, with injuries the last two yrs. I say we go after M. Lynch in the draft, since Peterson will not be there when we pick, and work out a trade with some other team for a young reciever with potential. The Texans have to stop picking up other teams left overs. We will never improve going this route and they need to stop looking to much into this Bronco, Packer connection. The players are being let go for a reason. Green might be a decent backup and Lelie is no better than C. Bradford. Texans need to look elsewhere. Just my opinion.

7. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

Green played in 14 games last season... that doesn't look too injured to me. And a thousand yard rusher "might be a decent backup"? That seems a little silly.

Also, the argument of "the players are being let go for a reason" can be applied to every free agent in the history of the NFL. Should we not pursue free agency at all?

8. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I sort of get where he's coming from although I disagree with him for the most part.

I'd love to have Marshawn Lynch on our team, but I'd also love us to be able to have a solid, somewhat deep O-Line for him to run behind. Which one do we get via Free Agency and which one do we get via draft?

If we can get a nice O-Lineman or two via Free Agency, I see nothing wrong with grabbing Lynch at 8. Buffalo's going to want him with the 12th...is 4 spots really too much of a reach for us?

If Green holds out for 5 million a season, he shouldn't be a Houston Texan. The investment won't be worth the return. Draft Lynch and then go O-Line or secondary ASAP in the draft.

9. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

Tell me about one solid season Lelie has had. If we keep thinking about picking up has beens this team will go no where. Green would be another pick up similar to the Gado trade and Dayne pick up of last yr. Why would anyone want a RB with little miles left on his legs that can't hold on to the football when you can pick up a young stud with his whole career ahead of him?? For depth i understand, but to come in and be your starting back i just can't see that happening anymore. Sick and tired of picking up all these has beens. This team needs young fresh meat not some damn beef jerky some other team no longer wants to claim.

10. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

In all fairness to Lelie, Vick wasn't very good at getting any of his other WR's (first round draft picks) the ball. If you weren't named Alge, you weren't catching passes in ATL. Vick also ruined Peerless Price, who was a very solid WR for Buffalo opposite a much younger Eric Moulds. Lelie's third season was very nice. His fourth...not so good. Last season? Ick.

I do think he's the type of player that can open things up for Andre. He's got speed, which Moulds lacked. He averaged almost 16 yards per catch while Moulds averaged just under 10. If he's not too expensive, he'd be a nice complement to Andre. We aren't asking him to be Marvin Harrison.

11. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

How is this remotely similar to Gado or Dayne? When did either of them even have one 1,000 yard season, much less six consecutive (when healthy) like Green has had? And the fumbling issue is overrated - Green had 4 fumbles with 2 lost last year. That's fairly average.

And no other team wants to claim? Hello? Green Bay fans are very worried about re-signing him and want him back as the starter. Denver is looking to bring him in. Little miles left? More than a 1,000 yards at 4 YPC and 46 catches for more than 8 YPC looks like he has something.

12. Keldar

Keldar Veteran

Based on who has signed so far throughout the league, and what is expected to occur, how have the Texans done?

Is it too early to panic? Are there any quality players remaining? (see: no Denver or Green Bay "has-beens")

13. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

It depends on what you expect I suppose. I am just hoping for good cap management so next season when we have purged all of the bad Casserly contracts we can make some good moves.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

these guys add speed @ the skill pos. this is something they have been lacking since inception

15. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I think we are going to have to take care of a lot of needs in the draft, and if everything goes as it did last year I think we'll be fine. I'm not particularly happy with who we're looking at (not the biggest fan of Lelie) but with a good draft it won't matter.

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I think we have done great to date. Big FA acquisitions result more in teams digressing than progressing in the long term.

Fill holes, get depth and re-sign your own valued players. Grow organically with a good draft and develop those players. Losers who overpay in FA will most often remain losers in the salary cap era unless they do the necessary purge.

17. WillyP

WillyP Rookie

i suspect it's not just about the benjamins. i see a parallel between attracting quality free agents and attracting prime time TV games. until this organization proves itself by winning football games, the absence of respectability will prevent both from happening.

18. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

But enough about the Redskins.... :bubble:

I agree that so far everything's just fine. No stupid money being thrown around, and no valuable picks being traded away for mid-range retreads.

There's a couple of "bigger" FAs I'd like to see Houston make a run at (Lelie and Green NOT among them), but even if they don't, look around the division and see who among them has been going nuts in FA. NOBODY. So it is definitely not time to panic.

19. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

He had a 1000 yard season with the Broncos under Kubiak and with Jake Plummer. Put AJ next to him and he could be a genuine deep threat that can also play the rest of the field (unlike Mathis). If the money is right, I think getting Lelie would be a good move.

20. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

you can put any running back in a decent system and they can get 1,000 yards if they play all year. Just look at Domanick Williams/Davis. Dayne could've been a 1,000 yd rusher last season if he played all year...that isn't much of an accomplishment anymore.