Free Agents I wouldn't mind taking a look at

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by El Tejano, Jan 12, 2011.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Most of these are from the URFA list. Just thinking with the switch to defensive schemes we are going to need some help. I know many of these guys may be out of our range so I'm not expecting to get alot from this group but even just one would help.

Darren Sproles RB San Diego - We all know how bad our return game was and he would immediately help. If Ward leaves, Ben Tate will be our big back and when have we had a legitimate scat back?

Mark Clayton WR St Louis - This dude had quite a quiet season but he was putting up numbers before his injury. I think he would be a legit #2. AJ is not getting any younger and quite frankly if he goes down again this season this improves our ability to bump everyone else up.

Santana Moss WR Washington - 93 receptions, 1,115 yards and 6TDs. That's quite the resume and he would make an awesome tandem with AJ. He also did well in a system that is either the same or similiar to ours. Get a WR and we can take that off our draft list.

Steve Breaston WR Arizona RFA - probably a long shot to get him but I put him in that Mark Clayton category except he easily becomes our #2.

Olin Kruetz Center Chicago - I can't say I know if he fits our scheme or not but I just know that DTs will not bust up the middle of our offense if he were the Center.

Marcus Spears DE Dallas - Obviously he's got familiarity with our defense because of his tenure with Wade Phillips. I don't know if we have any DEs on our current roster that fit like he does. Plus we all wanted him on draft day back in 05.

Richard Seymour DE Oak - He's freakin Richard Seymour! Seriously though, didn't he play in a 3-4 at times with New England?

Pat Williams DT Minn - Best DT currently an URFA

Okay here's where I think we really need to focus though

Namdi Asomugha CB Oak - Need I say more?

Ike Taylor CB Pittsburgh - Familiarity with the 3-4 defense. Also he steadily puts up numbers in the tackles (60-70 range) ints(1-2 a season) and passes defensed (13-16 per season) throughout his career. If we want to be a good team we got to be a consistent team and that starts with consistent play.

Champ Bailey - Dude's two INTS still would've put him at #3 on our INT leaders or something right? Plus I think this would be a defensive leader for a very young secondary. I also hear he is willing to go to FS to prolong his career. An All Pro CB that WANTS to play FS is always going to be a good move (think Rod Woodson).

Chris Carr CB Baltimore - young talent that could be here for a while. Seems to have just had his best year in his career while in Baltimore. Isn't he a punt returner also?

Carlos Rogers CB Washington - has familiarity with a 3-4 scheme. Avgs 12 pass defensed a year, and 1 INT a season.

Brodney Pool FS NYJ - Ha put together two solid seasons in a row with Cleveland and NYJ, only 26 yrs old.

Phil Dawson and Adam Viniateri - Either one of these are better than Rackers. Take away one of Indy's strengths.

Sam Koch or Sepulveda Punters - Matt Turk do not want. Our defense stunk and alot of it had to do with his 32 yard punts.

2. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

The Free Agent list this year makes me pretty excited, there is some talent that could really help out the Texans - if we're willing to make a move for them.

Hopefully the CBA stuff can get sorted, so the free agent process can get going in full force. :pissed:

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Brent Grimes - the better CB in Atlanta.

4. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Pat Williams is one of the oldest playes in the NFL I think he wants to retire.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Yeah. I figured as much. Still probably the best that's out there. This may be the year the Texans have to really draft a DT. Hopefully we don't do that til round two though. Amobi and alot of other prospects for other teams have ruined the idea of DT in round 1 for me. I had a list a while back showing how DTs drafted in round one faired. It's not good.

6. gary

gary Hall of Fame

He might sign a one year deal with a contender though.

7. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

We can also pick up Tramon Williams from Green Bay. He's been a solid starting cornerback for them this season. He was an undrafted free agent signed by the Texans in 2006 so I think we have a good chance of getting him back here.

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

You really think he would rather play here than stay in GB?

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Not me. I think most of the free agents will be staying put.

10. False Start

False Start On # 69

He signed an extension.

Link:

11. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

:roast:

False Start likes this.
  12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

How ironic that would be.

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Okay, the more I think about it, I'm thinking signing Santana Moss would be a very good signing for this team. He has a knack for the ball on 3rd downs and he does very well after the catch - something this offense is built for but has been lacking outside of AJ.

What would you guys think of an offseason where say we didn't get Aso but managed to get an Ike Taylor and Carlos Rogers?

14. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

Moss would be a good addition to the WR corps - but it depends on how much money he wants - if he is willing to take a good chunk less than at Washington (I believe he is at about $5 million a year at the moment), then that would be very intriguing, and leave the draft open to look at other positions, rather than trying to get the final piece in the WR puzzle.

15. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Where's Vince Young on that list .... all he does is win. He doesn't need to play however with his mere presence the grass will grow greener and all will be right at Reliant Stadium.

16. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I would like to see us go after Breaston if possible. The dude can do it all: catch, punt return, and kick return. Plus, pair him up with AJ or as our #3 guy and we have a solid WR corps. Plus, he's from Michigan ;)

17. Rey

Rey Guest

I think Breaston would come in and be a #2 easily....

18. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

Doesnt Breaston have some knee injury history beyond this past season? He has been solid when he plays

19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Moss just depends on the price.

20. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Santana Moss can produce but he gets lazy at times and looses interest reall quick. Not sure if he is a cancer in the locker room.