free agency - any rumors?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by brickman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. brickman

brickman Rookie

As I sit here during offseason, I'm craving some new Texans news. When does free agency start? When can players start being signed? Is there any news around H-town as to what they are thinking.... if anything. Being in upstate NY, I'm craving some news of people we are interested in and also re-signing our own free agents. Thanks!

:texflag: :fans:

2. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=733195

4. brickman

brickman Rookie

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, they spend the $ wisely!

5. brickman

brickman Rookie

With free agency beginning at midnight Thursday night, anyone hearing any rumors of anyone we are targeting in free agency. I don't plan on them spending wild money, but would like to see us go after a few pieces to help with the puzzle. Anyone have any thoughts/rumors/comments?:texflag:

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

My hopes of the Texans going after a starter in free agency (preferably CB) have declined as more players are franchised or expected to demand too much loot. There may be some minor pick ups that may play a role as season progresses and injuries occur. I am hopeful that our three biggest needs LT,RB & CB will be addressed in first, third and fourth rounds. I think we may get a surprise or two from players such as Brandon Harris (safety) Brandon Frye (guard that might play tackle)Kasey Studdard (guard),Zach Diles (LB)Mike Briesel (guard) Brandon Mitchell (safety) Chris Taylor (RB) that were on team last season but did not play much or any. We can't overlook these guys.

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I don't really know who all is left in FA, but I think Smith will def. sign a couple of lesser known players and have them compete. I think CB is being looked at very closely because any competition is good and needed. I'd love to see us take a CB in the first, or trade down, or do any number of things but the point being- It still isn't going to look that pretty having Bennett and a rookie CB starting for us! I'm really nervous about this so I think we will see some veteran guy(s) signed.

I'm interested in (I think its) Brandon Harrison from Stanford- he could end up being our safety of the future (SS??). I can't wait to see what Gibbs does with this O-Line w/ Frye, Briesel and Studdard.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I do not see us being that active in FA this year. We have some big decisions after next season with our own folks:

2008 FA:
    Dunta Robinson

2009 FA:
    Demeco Ryans - I see an extension being done next year
    Eric Winston - I see an extension being done next year
    Chester Pitts
    Charles Spencer

Sure we have some dollars available and the cap is going up incrementally year over year. Moreover, with the prospect of the owners nixing the CBA and a no cap year in 2011 I would imagine that securing folks long term under a cap will be very important, especally for those teams with a young nucleus in my opinion.

Once we get to the uncapped seasons McNair's pocketbook will be great to have to go with a secured nucleus.

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Who uses Pacific Time!!??? Took me an hour to take the 9 multiply by 3, divide by 2... carry the 1... ah what the hell, i give up- is that Midnight Central time!? haha only kidding...

As for the original question- the only rumor I have heard is that there was a deal in the works of us trading for a Running Back. Then that rumor kind of died and doesn't look to be valid. There is/was another rumor that we signed/have a deal in place with a Running Back. Don't know if there's any truth to that or who that player would be.

That shouldn't be a surprise though, I think there will be a lot of competition in Camp at the RB position. We have Green, Dayne (re-sign?), Walker, Taylor + we'll draft a RB probably pick up another UDFA RB, and sign a FA RB in the offseason. There's Arliss Beach- not sure if he's on the team or not but he's probably in the mix to. I just see us having no more than 4 RB's come the Reg. season and that being Green + Dayne + probably a drafted RB + probably Walker or Taylor. just my guess though

10. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Think you're spot on.

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I agree that this is the prudent thing to do. look for Kubiak/Smith kinda guys with Gibbs/Rhodes ties.

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I could see us picking up a guy like Andre Dyson in FA but what do I know?

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I was thinking the same thing.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

We will definitely be bringing in players, I just do not see us opening up the wallet, as in being a major player in the FA market. We have holes to fill especially at CB.

Dyson would be a good guy to bring in for the minimum. He is coming off an injury and going into his 8th year. Playing man with the Titans is something I like, but with Rhodes back there now I am not sure if this is a good fit.

15. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

We do seem to do well with the Andre's! Who knows? :thinking:

16. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

what about boss bailey

17. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

For some reason, I don't think Dayne is going to be back. I remember hearing an interview with Kubiak (I think with the terrible Anna Megan) and he talked about all of our running backs except Dayne.

I think going into training camp we will have a FA RB, Green, drafted RB, and winner of Walker and Taylor for the last spot.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I think I'd be mildly upset if Dayne was brought back. Unless he'd come dirt cheap, he's not worth keeping around. The way I'd like to see things go down would be to draft a RB in round 3 or 4. Have Green, Taylor, Walker, the Rook and maybe some UDFA's go at it in camp. May the best three make the roster. Which IMO would end up like this: Green, the Rook and Taylor in no specific order. :cool:

There was just too many yards left on the field to justify bringing Dayne back. Everytime I watch a DVR'd game it aggravates the heck out of me.

:texflag:

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

That is a plausible scenario.

20. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

He definantly would come dirt cheap. Vet minimum most likely just like the last 2 seasons. It would cost us about 1 mil for 1 season. Thats pretty reasonable.