Fred Bennet Headed For The Outhouse?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gary, May 26, 2010.

1. gary

gary Hall of Fame

2. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
  3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Can anyone say Petey? Last year, Bennet had a real problem staying up with receivers. He's the best thing that ever happened to Dunta. When both were out there together, Bennet would be the opposing QB's favorite "target".............his inability to cover or wrap up making Dunta's questionable "performance" stellar by contrast........by default.

4. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

If Fred can't improve his game significantly I don't see how this team is going to keep him. He was pretty much a liability on the field in 2008 and lost his job to rookies in 2009.

There was a great post that outlined why he looked good in 2007 and looked like booty for the rest of the time, I'll dig it up real quick.

EDIT: http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/5/26/1488157/comcast-presents-what-happened-to#

I find that to be some decent reasoning for what was happening.

5. Fox

Fox All Pro

It all sounds good except for the part about Bennett being good against the run and a respectable spot-starting SS. Not only can Bennett not cover, he can't tackle. I don't see SS in his future. The rest sounded plausible to me.

6. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Bennett may be better suited for another team defense. Look at Pollard, KC released him and he's been a gold mine for us.

I admit I had high hopes for Bennett after his first season.

7. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I do not see him making the team.

8. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

Wasn't there speculation that, after Smithiak passed on any and all FS's in this years draft, that Kubiak might try a corner there at some point in training camp if Barber and Nolan don't pan out?

From b0ng's article and Fox's added insight I see this as the best position for him. It'll keep him from having to flip his hips and playing behind DeMeco and Cush with Pollard next to him will mask his tackling troubles at least in run support.

Just food for thought.

9. CloakNNNdagger

Do you really want a player with such questionable wrap up abilities to be that last man on the island.........protecting the island?

10. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    If the island is surrounded by the Texans Navy I wouldn't feel too worried. We got the battle ships too afford Bennett's bad tackling if it means he is making positive strides in coverage as a FS. He could hold a few more lbs. too. I'll definitely be looking for either him or Molden or McMannis at FS because I think Wilson is running out of time as a bandaid and Barber...well...Busing...geez....um....Nolan? No at least we've seen that Bennett can hold on to a pick when it falls out of the sky into his lap.

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

True, but the powers that be don't like to convert people. Don't know why, they just dont. I would try him out at FS. I would try everybody there not named Kareem Jackson.

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

So Fred's headed for the outhose? He gotta take a dump or something?

13. CloakNNNdagger

When you are the last defender before getting to the goal line, the only thing that the Texans Navy, Army and Marines will only be able to do is CHEER Bennet to make the tackle. I take very little comfort in that type of "support."

14. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The thing that concerns me the most in this article is the following:

15. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

The best thing that ever happened to Fred Bennett was Will Demps.

After Demps was out, Bennett became a liability all of a sudden.

16. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

and yet Kubiak is always shifting O-lineman and D-lineman around, that is odd that they would do that but not a CB to Safety. You would think that a CB could transfer to Safety pretty easy, especially if he has some coverage skill and can hit.

I always thought Bennett would make a great FS but I guess they know more?

17. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I said this too when they didn't draft a FS or give any of the possible safety FA a look this off-season, they're likely to try and shift one of the bubble CBs over to one of the safety spots.

Looks like the extent of their plan at FS goes something like pray Wilson can make it through the season healthy and if not...well shit.

18. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

If Moulden could stay healthy, I think he would fit nice at FS...

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This will be another excuse for why the Texans didn't make the playoffs if Wilson gets hurt.

Kubes will be like, gosh darn it if we wouldn't have had injuries in the secondary we would have made the playoffs.

I'm not buying the excuses.

20. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Yeah, Kubiak constantly refers to him as a possible starter and a guy who has the skills if/when healthy and that's usually talking about him as a CB. For a guy his size, with his speed and he's always seemed like a capable tackler...on a team with little FS help...and lots of CB depth...

How ridiculous is it that they don't even make the attempt? They draft these CBs who fit a very specific CB/S tweener mold (except McCain who was drafted for his speed) and let them rot as depth not even throwing out a word in OTA's about getting creative.