Franchise Tag Bouye?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jradMIT, Feb 13, 2017.

1. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...setag-primer-predictions-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Should Bouye be franchised either to make him prove it another year or give the team more time to work out a deal and/or trade for him? Price tag is steep ~14M, Spotrac has his estimated market value of 11.4M. So to keep him you will have to put up at least 25M guaranteed over 5 years. The Texans are in a tough spot and either pay up or let him walk. I'm inclined to franchise and try to work out a deal or trade (not likely). If you do sign him either way, you have to cut or restructure Joseph to free up some money.

2. False Start

False Start On # 69

Yep, tag him. It's a no brainer IMO. Unless they can get a reasonable long term deal worked out. I saw it mentioned on Twitter that McNair wants to do that.

3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

He's too expensive to tag

4. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

No. He's a one year wonder and a flag magnet. Could be good but isnt yet.

Isnt this why we drafted kjo?

DocBar likes this.
  5. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

KJo never had the year Bouye just did, plus KJ has been oft injured for years now. I think the one year wonder argument works both ways, it lets you make him do it another year.

6. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

Kjo has played well and is still cheap. Kjo hasnt had to play the year aj did. Are you really willing to give aj 11 mil a year at the expense of other positions? Pass.

7. jradMIT

jradMIT All Pro

Cornerback is in the second group of importance, its not easy to find a good one, if your not sold on the 1 year then FT him and make him do it again a one year commitment is small in the big scheme of things, its kinda like hedging your bets. Letting him walk kinda forces the Texans to go heavy CB in the next two drafts.

PolarBear likes this.
  8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

There goes ~60% of our cap..........unless we can somehow designate #1 pick consolation prize.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Not sure how reliable this site is.

https://www.google.com/amp/torotime...gn-a-j-bouye/amp/?client=ms-android-sprint-us

11. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Don't tag him. That makes the player hate the franchise and start doggin' it. Then you're paying extra for less.
    Negotiate with him and wrap him up if he's willing to take a reasonable offer. If not, let him test the FA market and then come back. Only let him take the long way. Around the world.

12. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

It depends on the player, but franchise tag or not, most players in a contract year (which obviously is what's gonna happen if a long-term deal can't be reached) aren't gonna "dog it" because their mad at the franchise. I think the technical term for that is "Cutting off your nose to spite your face".

I don't mind the franchise/transition tag if they feel like it will either result in a long-term deal prior to the deadline (essentially extending the exclusive rights period), or a trade for draft picks with another team.

If the Texans don't feel relatively certain of one of those two outcomes, then try to re-sign him, but don't tag him.

JB likes this.
  13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Too much for a one year wonder. People forget that we have Kevin Johnson coming back to take that RCB position. While it would be great to have 4 top tier corners (moving Kareem is a TT suggestion), we can't sink that much money into someone who had a good year, especially in the form of a Franchise Tag.

TexansSeminole likes this.
  14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I'm a Bouye fan but I wouldn't franchise him. We have too many other needs. Let him sign the big FA contract elsewhere and take the comp pick next year (since we won't be bringing in big money FA this offseason). Nuk needs his contract done first. He should be our #1 priority this offseason.

powda and TexansSeminole like this.
  15. gs27

gs27 Veteran

For one year of production I would set the max at 8m per year. If it takes more than that, stick with Joseph, Jackson and Johnson then draft another corner. FT price is way to steep for me.

16. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Until proven otherwise, he's a one year wonder. But mistaking his talent as a one time event wouldn't be wise. You can never have enough good CBs. I'd do what it takes to keep him UNLESS it breaks the salary cap budget. We still don't have a QB.

JB likes this.
  17. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade James Harden MVP!

Save the franchise tag for DeAndre Hopkins when the time is right. Don't use it on anybody right now. We need every available cap space to give Tony Romo an incentive-based contract once he's released. We have Kevin Johnson, a future All-Pro lockdown corner coming back.

Next year at this time we can get out of that bad Brock Osweiler contract, which turns into a cap friendly $6 million dead money cap hit. By then Tomo Romo will have led us to a Super Bowl 52 victory and be raking in the big bucks "based on incentives" going into his second year as quarterback of the Texans. And we can slap the franchise tag on D-Hop if needed.

18. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

So you want to franchise Hopkins two years in a row?

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I wonder if he'd sign a 5y/40m deal with say 25m guaranteed .... I think that's the bottom of his potential contract.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Not really...

They talk about it on the radio all the time. It's not just a TT thing.

And he's played quite a bit of safety in this defense and he's practiced there as well.

This is from 2 seasons ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/blog.chr...cusses-playing-free-safety/amp/?client=safari