Franchise is heading in the wrong

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by aggieNzona, Sep 1, 2005.

1. aggieNzona

aggieNzona Rookie

direction why?
    I am not in H-town so at times I feel a bit out of touch. Can someone fill me in or address my thoughts?

The first few years this franchise did everything right. First class all the way. But something seems to have changed starting with the draft in 2004. The team skiped obvious needs for what seemd like reaches, they repeated that same draft strategy again this year. They also seemed content with not moving forward in the off season. The FA signings where certianly no gain from what the lost. In stead of keeping the best players and adding a few more key people they treaded water. I have been very worried about this team for months, but I keep reading all of you more tuned in talking playoffs. I got a bad feeling and am thinking 5-6 wins max and a lot of boring football.

So, my question is has something in the orginization changed? Is McNair not spending like he was? Have there been key personell changes? Who is calling the personell shots? Is this all on Capers? And will they fire Palmer? I am guessing if this season is a colapse there will be a complete regeme change. Bring me up to speed fans! Thanks!

2. aggiechance

aggiechance Rookie

Good points...I'm really confused about this years draft...was no good left tackle available...why are our backup qb's so average (Dave Ragone needs to produce in the US now)....why do we draft well in the first round and poor in the 3rd round (ie Hollings). I'm thinking we need to change things up too...I'm not ready to dump on Capers...just confused on why we are heading east and west versus north.
    :texflag:

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Ive said from the begining of camp they would probably go 7-9 but after the past two weeks my expectations have gone down to 5-11 ... i listed my opinion of the Texans needs and offseason moves in another post and will copy and past them here http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=11535

These are the type of responses i got ....

4. This is why it's going to be incredibly difficult for the :homer: to come to grips with another losing season, their expectations are too high.

5. ROYDESTROY

ROYDESTROY Rookie

You nailed it bro..reality will set in..but more excuses will be given :)

6. Just like Cowboy fans think they will do any better. :crying:

7. randy54

randy54 Rookie

Houston football has always been a joke, U go back to the Oilers all they did was CHOKE and the fans always loved them ( why i do not know) Now u have these Texicans who are the same ol' same ol'. As a Cowboys fan for over 30 years all i can say is until you win the big one u need to shut up. I mean no harm to u Houston fans but come on, Win the big one and then u will get some respect. I think it is funny how Dallas can win Super bowls then have a down time but they reload and do it again while the Houston pro team is stuck in the mud saying wait til next year.......Broken record get rid of it :confused:

8. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

The Texans have been around for all of 3 years...in that time the Cowboys have won 21 games and the Texans have won 16...And when was the last time the cowgirls won a Super Bowl, 10 years ago? Come back when the girls when one in this decade...

9. randy54

randy54 Rookie

dallas cowboys five time world champion

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Those Oilers teams ran into a DYNASTY called the Pittsburg Steelers ... the same team that beat the Cowpies in the Big One ...

Those Oilers Vs. Steelers games were always fun to watch , They hated us , we hated them . The Oilers DID NOT CHOKE , they were simply beaten by a better team , so which is it , did your Cowpies choke in the Big One or were they just beaten by a better team ?

Go :fishing: elsewhere

11. randy54

randy54 Rookie

i did not call your blessed oilers a childish name but i have to agree the steelers of the 70's were a handfull and the dallas pittsburg SB's were exciting.

12. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i don't think this franchise is headed in the wrong direction i just think we are running the wrong offense for it...with the receivers we have and the quarterback we need to be running a offense similiar to oakland...go deep and go often...our defense will be better...i'm just worried that this 3-step passing routes is something that carr doesn't adapt well too

13. randy54

randy54 Rookie

earl campbell was a great RB but Bum Phillips ran him into the ground

14. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

What obvious needs? Who would you have taken over whom the Texans chose? (Of course, taking into acount hindsight now.) I think the team has skipped the FANS obvious needs, except the first couple of seasons where we knew who we were going to pick.

I'm sure that's their plan.

So, basically keep the players that are getting on in age with a back loaded contract? No thanks - you can head over to the Raiders for that.... though they have been changing that philosphy.

It's good to have the high goals of playoffs, personally I think we'll still just miss it, but we'll have our first winning season this year.

Yes, something in the organization has changed - we're growing as a team and the expectations are higher now (some are excessive expectations). Is it all on Capers? No - it's on all the coaches, the players, and the front office. If there is a collapse, I don't think it'll be an overhaul, re: Browns but it will be interesting to see what happens... besides for all the "I told you so" that will appear on the boards.

Just sit back, relax... pop one open and enjoy the season. If there's a frustration, just means you love the team.

15. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I agree...line Carr up in the gun, put AJ and Gaffney on one side, and Mathis and Bradford (I guess if he has to stay) on the other...Bring the run and shoot back to Houston! We want Jack Pardee back! :texans:

16. randy54

randy54 Rookie

Dallas was beaten by the better team that game but damn it was a good game right to the end

17. randy54

randy54 Rookie

jack pardee give me a break

18. randy54

randy54 Rookie

how bout Wally lembeck

19. randy54

randy54 Rookie

20. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

You go to other teams' MB's to put down their fans? Classy