Franchise and Transition Numbers released

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ArlingtonTexan, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

or how much it might cost to keep Dunta Robinson.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/franchise-transition-tags-analysis/

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Thats alot of money to be paying a cornerback recovering from what should have been a career-ending injury.
    I love Dunta to death, but those cornerbacks are going to start looking alot better once the defensive 7 starts applying pressure.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

IDK man. We've seen Dunta play well even with the recovering injury. We haven't seen our DL put pressure on the QB on a consistent basis.

4. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

it's still a good value to retain him for one season and assess his value after playing a full season at %100. It's not that big of a number for a team with alot of room like the texans have. it doesn't mean that you'd have to continue to pay him anywhere near that number after the season is over. if he plays up to and beyond his potential then you have to pay him what he's worth but if he only returns to form you pay him an average salary. if he doesn't return to where he was you offer him a salary at his value.

5. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Exactly. It's a trial year by which the Texans can decide which way they want to go and Dunta can prove to what capacity he can retain his abilities.

That number would also slot him, as it stands, as the second highest paid member of the team:
    Schaub, Matt $10,250,000
    *Robinson, Dunta $9,960,000*
    Johnson, Andre $7,666,752
    Green, Ahman $6,637,500
    Greenwood, Morlon $6,268,000
    Weaver, Anthony $6,200,000

Of course, at least 2 of Green, Greenwood, and Weaver should be gone. Possibly all 3. And we might bring in a FA that could challenge for a top 5 salary.

But, I think Dunta's intangibles combined with his on-the-field abilities justify one year at $9.6M in order to see where you and he stand going into 2010.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Funny contrast directed at nobody in particular--Rick Smith is a ding dong for hiring Reeves for 5 years at $20 mil but it would be a great idea to pay $10 mil for 1 year for Dunta?

Dunta is one of my favorite players--sign him to a reasonable contract, but don't franchise him.

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

He's a free agent... a decent contract may not be in the cards. It's not exactly a great market for free agent CBs. Don't you think it's possible someone will overpay for him? The question becomes, are you willing to protect against it by franchising him or are you willing to pay overpay him in order to keep, because they don't have anyone to replace him with IMO.

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Considering how our D looked before his return and how it looked after his return, I say pay the man.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Like I said, I like Dunta a lot and want to re-sign him, but not at any cost. I would go to him with an under transition tag (but not a huge amount) $7-7.5 mil per year long term deal. I think that is giving him the benefit of the doubt on fully recovering and recognizing his leadership, inspiration, etc. As an alternative, I would also offer him a one year transition tag level deal with a plan to talk after the next season--allow him to gamble on proving he can get at least to pro-bowl level (that's an interesting idea--can you do a multi-year deal which voids if you don't make the pro-bowl?). If one of those isn't good enough, bye. I just don't see how he could sit across a table and demand top 5 money.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If we do tag him, which I do not want to do, it better be a transition tag.

11. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

You're talking about a guy and his career. He'd be stupid not to demand top 5 money (at first), because I bet a team would be more than willing to top a 7 million dollar a year contract.

Shit, even Drayton Florence got 6 mil from the Jags and he was expected to be a nickel. I think a franchise tag is a decent alternative because it's only for 1 year. It's not like you're going to lock Robinson up in a 10 year 90 million dollar contract if you franchise him.

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I agree with the transition tag idea if the team feels like he is demanding more than the market will pay him. However, I'd be careful about letting him go- for one, that means everyone's favorite punching bag, "Petey", will probalby make the roster and you guys are certainly going to see Reeves starting most of the season. There are times when the situation and market dictates that you overpay for someone. This might be one of those times and I don't think a Franchise Tag hurts the team given its cap situation.

13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I've got very similar feelings on this as infantrycak.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Give me Fat Albert @ 10 mil a year

McAlister @ 5 mil a year

M. Peterson @ 5 mil a year

Re-sign (thank Pappa) Daniels , Wilson, Ferguson, Bentley with the other 10 mil that is left on the cap.

Draft a DE, LB, S, RB & C

15. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Remember the Transition Tag only would give Houston the right of first refusal on any contract, so another team would have to do is place some weird stipulation and get Dunta for no additional compensation.

With the Franchise tag the Texans have enough power to force someone wanting him to work some sign and trade even if it is not for the full two 1st rounders.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Brain fart on my part, I meant the non-exclusive franchise tag, thanks.

17. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

That's the main reasoning for this line of thinking. It's ideal for a team that can spare the cap room and is in a situation where they shouldn't gamble to see if he'll come back from his injury by giving him a long term deal.

18. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Uh huh. I know we love him. But 8M ? Oooh Wee dat's a lot of love.

19. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Hey! I thought we all agreed that Mcnair is cheap?!?! :)

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I might be having a brain fart here, but I have a question for anyone who might know. If a player is franchised but ends up working out a deal a some point during the season. Would he get paid the entire season for the franchised amount? Or would the new deal void the franchise tag and begin as soon as the new deal was struck?

I apologize for the dumb question, but I've been bouncing back and forth from East Texas. I'm trying to revive my brain cells. :cool: