Foxsports.com's early mock draft

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by texan279, Dec 30, 2006.

1. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6317258

6. TEXANS Alan Branch DT Michigan Junior
    The 6-foot-6, 320-pound run stopper is just what the Texans need. Put him on a defense that added Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans, and you have one of the more promising young units in the league.

2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't think we'll take a DT with our 1st round pick. The only D-lineman I think the Texans would consider is Gaines Adams. If the guy the Texans want isn't available where we draft, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade up and get an extra pick or two for later.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i keep seeing mocks where the bucs pass on joe thomas. silly.

4. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

The Texans have alot more money invested in our DE with Weaver and Williams new contracts. I think payne will get cut to save money. So we will be lacking depth a DT.

5. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

The DLine cap is mostly Weaver and Payne, though. The 3 first round picks added together is a little over 6 million in cap, less than either David Carr or Andre Johnson.

6. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i dont see us takin another D-line men, i really want the texans to trade down, and try to get Reggie Nelson, i think hes the best play maker at safety we can get in the draft

7. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I find it hard to believe that the Texans would take Branch when Marshawn Lynch, our choice of CB's, & our choice of safeties are still on the board. Those are much more glaring needs. While Branch is more talented than TJ, a move like that would be as inept as the drafting of TJ was. I don't see it happening.

8. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

My responce to that is which teams did we play this year that 1. we shut down their run enough to hold a fourth quarter lead. And 2. knew for a fact our d-line could hold a third or forth and short. You may well be right. But again selecting a run stuffing wide body, a true two gap DT... plugs a big hole
    on this team. Their our other canidates out there no doubt. Just be nice to hang on hats on a true starter unstead of flakey gamble in the first round. And two of the four you just mentioned in your post are that in my book. You call it inept. I call it the most prudent thing they coud do. Plug one hole good. With one good player. That...in my book is prudent, not inept. Lynch and Leron are both reaches in my book. Even at nine.

9. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I would take DT in the 1st rd. We need to build strong foundation on D specially front 7. Taking OLB in the 2nd rd(hope we get DB from FA). When we have solid front7, our DB would look much better. We are only a few palyers away to become legit NFL D.

GO TEXANS!!

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Although I would much rather have a playmaking-ball-hawking FS like Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson, I wouldn't be upset with the Branch pick.

I would pick Branch, landry, nelson (my top 3 D choices), and then whoever is the best cb in the draft as my 4th choice. (leon hall may not necessarily be the best cb for us)

One the offensive side I'd pick Joe Thomas if available and IF he really would be a good fit for our team. Then either Peterson (I worry about his long term health/injury) or a distant marshawn lynch (who actually may be better for us than peterson)

Not a bad mock by that guy. Did i read that correctly that Troy Smith would fall to the 2nd round? hmm I might like that as well.

Landry/Nelson/Branch in '07~!!

11. threetoedpete

Hmmm under there scenario I just might have to drink very heavily befor the draft. Like Branch. JT goes off the fifeth pick, that'll kill me.

And YTF, that's two of us that dissagree with you assements on JT and Branch. Must be a conseracy huh ?

12. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Mock drafts are like Christmas advertisements, they start earlier and earlier each year.

13. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

If Cleveland really wants Troy Smith, they could easily trade down for those wanting Joe Thomas or AD. It's a great situation for them.

14. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

really no reason at all to think that cleveland likes troy smith.

15. threetoedpete

Now there's a thought. A trade under 2800 points that lands a stud OLT. Brillant.

16. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I personally think Weaver plays his best football at DT.

If it were up to me we address our DT situation in FA and hope Gains Adams is there when the Texans draft and move Weaver inside. Having another stud at the end position will take pressure off Williams, not to mention having a pass rush will take pressure off our secondary.

17. threetoedpete

And I personally, respectfully disagree. I like Smith's rotation. Unless you know something about a Peak/Babins deal ? Weaver is staying where he is. Going to have to do something with Peak and Babs.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

this will significantly change once the underclassman declare for early entry, deadline coming up Jan. 15th :)

Branch is the best inside tackle prospect in a while.

Gaines is a slightly smaller version of Mario Williams.

19. threetoedpete

Just food for thought....Switch with Cleveland 2200 - 1350 (9th)= -850. Our second (520) and Babins ought to do it.

20. uhcougar08

uhcougar08 SHSUKATS08

I actually like the hell outta this guy. He would fit perfectly in this line. I have been telling all my buddies that we will probably go DT or CB, and that matters where a RB or 2 fall, and how low we move down after the win against the Brownies. The lowest we can go is 10. This guy was a RB in HS, and he has raw athletic talent. For 6-6, and 320, he will constanly take on double teams next to Mario. There is no way they can double Marion and him. I say good pick. Thumbs Up here!!!!:ok: