Fox Sports article "Why Young, Bush and Leinart went bust"

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hookem Horns, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

2. Bulluck53

Bulluck53 All Pro

VY is a bust because he is mentally weak. Forget the gun/suicide incident. He hears people say he can't get it done with his arm so he stops doing what he does best, running. He doesn't dedicate himself to improving enough to get his starting job from a 36 year old man who hasn't moved in the pocket in ten years. He has a team that he just has to know what going on (ie not make dumb mistakes) and he can succeed, yet he fails to do so.

Off topic, but I don't understand the quote in your sig. We played NYJ in week 12. If whoever wrote that meant week 15 then you guys won by a point, is that owning? If its some sort of joke then feel free to laugh at my ignorance.

3. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I take it you weren't impressed with VY's performance last night?

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

VY looks like an overpaid 3rd string QB. Ramsey played better.

5. Hookem Horns

Thanks for pointing that out. It was week 15, I just copied the quote and didn't think about it. Yes, obviously it was meant in humor since it made me laugh.

BTW, why the Titans want to promote the city of a division rival is beyond me. If I were a fan of a team that was stolen from another city I would probably want to forget that fact and not have the team reminding me of that even if it is just for nostalgia.

6. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

7. Bulluck53

Bulluck53 All Pro

Its not even about last night. People write fluff articles about how he is working hard in the offseason and trying to get on the same page as his receivers, etc, but it doesn't show on the field. He has trouble reading defenses and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. He has lost the confidence that made him so good in college and he needs to get back to what he did best in order to regain that confidence. He needs to learn to actually go through his reads and if nothing is there don't hesitate and take off. He has the ability but just can't put it together in his head. I would love for him to be our QB of the future but its just not going to happen.

I'm not worried about his throwing motion, accuracy would come with more confident passes and knowledge of what the defense is doing each play.

I think the coaches feel the same way. It might not show up that way when the season starts (if VY is still with the team) but it will be interesting to see who gets the nod if Collins goes out.

8. Spled

Spled All Pro

Vince has gone from being overrated to underrated. He should never have been rookie of the year, it should have been Maurice Jones Drew. He was getting most of the credit for playing on a great team until people started to see through that. Now people go the other way and say he's a bust. I see him being like Vick. He can defenses problems with his scrambling, but he's never going to have a great deep ball.

9. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You're asking VY to learn how to read defenses? LOL

I'm not sure VY has the ability to learn much of anything as his 6 on the Wunderlich would seem to suggest.

11. Double Barrel

I've seen Vick, and VY is no Vick.

Plus, NFL defenses figured Vick out, and they would use the same against VY. So he would be forced to rely on his arm and his ability to play QB. Wow, I actually typed that with a straight face.

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Wow. I was SO wrong about Vince Young. * hangs head in shame *

13. Hookem Horns

Yeah me too. Actually I never thought of the guy as an NFL QB until I started falling for all of the hype after the Rose Bowl. Of course a big part of my problem back then was I just wanted David Carr gone and I knew VY would instantly make the Texans the most popular NFL team in Texas.

Man, we really dodged a bullet in the 2006 draft. Imagine if the Texans would have drafted VY or Leinhart. It would have been David Carr all over again. Bush wouldn't have been as bad since the Texans still might have landed Schaub.

I heard someone say before that draft that if the Texans screw up that draft that it would set them back for years. Man, it sure would have especially if the Texans would have drafted one of those bust QBs. They would have never signed Schaub and we would still be waiting for either VY or Leinhart to develop like we did with Carr.

14. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

It just goes to show you, college production means SQUAT when it comes to evaluating a player as an NFL prospect. Charles Rogers is the all-time receiving yards leader at Michigan State. Chris Weinke. Jason White.

One guy to look out for who I think is in this same boat is Jeremy Maclin. There's a laundry list of knocks on this guy but the one prevailing factor that evaluators held on to was his "tremendous production" at Missouri.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  15. Blazing Arrow

Imagine last season if our drafts were reversed. We would have KVB, M Williams and Haynsworth on the same D line. And we would get to play Young twice a season!

Your coach would probably be gone after last season and the comments about your O-line would have been relentless.

16. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

My balls shriveled up upon thinking about BA's proposed scenario.

17. Double Barrel

The Saints would have drafted Mario before Bush if he was still on the board. You would probably have Reggie on your team right now, which is still better than VY as a third-string QB.

18. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

and they would not have Lenwhale and Millie Va Nillie.

19. Blazing Arrow

I've never seen Bush throw a ball but I would probably agree he would be a better QB. We would have taken Lienart or Cutler IMO. We were still bent over at QB at the time. That was the same year as McNair's banning from the field so he would not injure himself working out or story goes.

20. Blazing Arrow

I think we still would. I don't see us taking Bush. We needed a QB much more then we needed a RB at the time.