Fox Sports article on Jacoby Jones

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by drewmar74, Jun 25, 2007.

1. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Nothing really surprising. Gives some insight, though, on where JJ is from an acclimation standpoint. Lots of potential. Ways to go yet, though.

"Just looking at him, he has a lot of talent," [Andre'] Johnson said. "He definitely wants to get out there and play, but right now he is just going through a learning process where he's trying to learn everything."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67071&type=InsideSlant

TexanAddict likes this.
  2. Il_Bruno

Il_Bruno Veteran

i guess he's getting a little attention. I like the pick a lot but it seems more like a couple year project guy then someone who can step in right away.

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I like everything that I have heard about him.. Not to sure I like what I have heard from him.... Sounds a little too Chad Johnson for me. But then again, who cares - if he can perform??

4. real

real Guest

Chad Johnson is the man.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"The largest crowd Jones ever played in front of during college was 7,000 and that was Tuskegee's homecoming game. Lane College's home stadium held just 1,300 fans.

"I can't wait to see that," Jones said. "My flesh will probably be crawling. I can't wait to see that to see what that's like.

"(At Lane) the most we ever get in our stadium was a handful. We played at a high school stadium. Everybody knows everybody's first and last name. If you're cool, you know their middle name."

Can you imagine what this kids BP reading would be in the season-opener in
    Reliant against the Chiefs if he gets in the game ? Talk about pumped !

6. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

He'll be even more pumped when he catches his first TD in week one vs. the Chefs and the Texans win the game.

It's gonna happen.

7. Texan_Bill

He is one of the few that run their mouth - AND BACKS IT UP!! Therefore, I give Chad way more lee-way than a lot of others.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I don't and I'll even agree with you that he "backs it up".

If you run your mouth then you're not my kind of player whether you score three touchdowns or eleven. It makes no difference to me. That you are an asset to the team doesn't change the fact that you're an ass in general.

Now would I want Chad Johnson on my team opposite AJ? Of course I would but here's the catch. Chad Johnson is an egotistical jackass and attention whore BUT he hasn't proven to be a divisive element on his team YET. To date his antics aren't the distraction that TO's are and he doesn't create the negative "vibe" that TO does.

That's why I'd take Chad Johnson (gritting my teeth and avoiding any contact with him all the way) and tell TO "Thanks but no thanks".

I can respect what Chad can do on the field and dislike his persona off of it. To me it lacks dignity and it demonstrates a need for attention that I don't think should be rewarded. Given a choice between a player like him with the antics and one without I take the guy who conducts himself with more dignity and less of a "Look at me!" attitude every single time.

Double Barrel likes this.

9. Texan_Bill

Notice though, I said more "lee-way" - not a free pass. I am a bigger fan of the Earl Campbells of the world that didnt say much and when they score a touchdown, they pitch to the ref - as tough they had been there before...

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

CJ is one of the most productive WR's in the game and its most vocal, staged stunt man, yet percieved as harmless against the team's recent history. However, it would have been interesting to see if his antics would have been dealt with if not for the back drop of the off-field problems plaguing the Bengals since December 2005.

11. real

real Guest

I don't think Chad Johnson is egotistical nor a jackass...

I think all football players are a little cocky...Chad just brings entertainment to the game....He's just being himself...outspoken and funny...

I'm glad a majority of football watchers don't feel the way some of you guys do....

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

How so? Jones may be loquacious, but he hasn't acted the fool as Johnson has.

How do you presume the sensibilities of most football fans? Did you conduct a poll?

13. real

real Guest

Nope...

I go by the advertisements....

If you aren't liked by a majority of the general population, i.e your face doesn't sell; they aren't going to waste investment dollars using you in marketing...

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The point the other side is making is that when entertainment is valued more than what propagates one's entertainment value (the NFL) a team will have locker room issues. My point is that fortunately for CJ his fellow Bengals have provided him cover - right, wrong or indifferent.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'm not sure if most football fans take their cue from Madison Avenue. But the player of choice in endorsements is clearly Peyton Manning. And on the field, Peyton is 100% fluff-free.

What does Chad hawk, anyway?

16. real

real Guest

What if his teammates genuinely think he's a good guy ? What if they just don't mind his antics because they know he brings it on Sundays ?

I've met a couple people who are like Chad--the serious, funny type--who are just good natured people who like to have fun...sports is competitive and the nature of the game is designed to make your opponents look bad. I seriously doubt anyone takes Chad Johnsons antics to heart though.

I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree on this one.

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Anyone that has played competitive sports knows these guys exist and there fun to be around and most often they garner results. The issue is when they command a high percentage of a team's cap and do not get results in the post season from a tangible or intangible stand point.

Locker room management in my opinion is the most important skill for a professional coach to learn and Marvin Lewis has his hands full due to his star and the current situation.

18. real

real Guest

Not sure what Peyton has to do with anything...I didn't know this was supposed to be a popularity contest...

But Chad Johnson has been all over NFL network commercials, and also for fat head...he's done other commercials as well that I just can't think of at the moment.

Pretty good article about chad and his personality:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/2005-10-19-johnson-feature_x.htm

19. real

real Guest

If anything, guys in that locker room need to be more like Chad. Marvin has his hands full alright, but it's not because of Chad Johnson.

20. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I agree. I can't believe people are dogging on him here. Chad is the man...