four quarters

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by rickyb, Dec 30, 2009.

1. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

Until the Texans start playing 60 minutes of football, I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to make the playoffs.

Sorry to throw cold water on the party. I am a fan, but I am also loathe to ignore what my eyes can see.

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

If they don't play 4 quarters of football against the New England Patriots, then we will not win.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

eeeeehhhhhh Yeah, you're throwing cold water on this party with this original thought.

Read some other threads, you aren't the only one.

4. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

What team does "play for 60 minutes"? Definitely not the Colts, they were down in the 4th quarter in about half of their games. That means they didn't play for a whole 3 quarters until they decided to play in the 4th. They seem to do okay only playing 1 quarter.

:)

5. DeMarCushPoll

DeMarCushPoll UDFA

You people took a life here today, the life of the party.

Michael Scott

Cjeremy635 likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

If we made the playoffs by some sort of miracle, we'd probably be one of the most dangerous teams that people would not want to play.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I think everyone understands how hard it is to play a complete game, but it's obvious with the Texans how divided each game has been. It's almost like two different teams show up on game day. One team will destroy the opponent and then the other team comes out and lays an egg.

Texans - A true Jekyll and Hyde team

8. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I will admit that in the past I have often times found myself watching late games after a loss and thinking "these teams play on a completely different level".

But as the season has gone on I've noticed this about our Texans, they are very streaky. I think you see many teams that are much more erratic from play to play whereas the Texans seem to be much more consistent. Last week for example Schaub is pretty much lazer accurate in the first half and in the second he's off on his deep out routes 3 or 4 times. Everyone is making catches in the first half and then #12 is dropping passes that are in his hands.

Think about how rare it is to see Schaub miss fire or throw behind a guy unless it's specifically to turn his body away from the db. I think other teams are much MUCH more erratic. We just tend to do it all at once.

9. DeMarCushPoll

DeMarCushPoll UDFA

I agree 100%, all these people that talk about the Texans only play half a game is just garbage. It is very rare in the NFL or any other pro sport, for one team to completely dominate a game from beginning to end. And usually when it does happen it's only because the other team basically has given up and flat out quites at some point (Pat-59 Ten-0).

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I would like to have seen Arian Foster earlier in the year. But if we do make the play-offs, it's nice to know he is getting some carries now.

We may turn out to be that Arizona Cardinals this year. No running game in the regular season, then it comes out of nowhere in the play-offs.

We would be hard to stop, & the sky's the limit.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't thin anyone is expecting us to score on every possession, but to go from 27 points in the first half against Miami, with wide open receivers & huge running lanes, to no points, & turnover, punt, punt, turnover.... is not what other teams are doing.

This is definitely a problem (not one that I think Kubiak should be fired over) & needs to be fixed if we're going to win against good teams.

if we score 27 points in the first half, we should be able to score at least once in the second half. If it weren't for our defense playing 4 Qtrs (an improvement) we would have lost that game.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We lost games against Tennessee, twice to Jacksonville, & twice to Indy, but they were some of our best games of the year. Those games were as complete a game as the Texans have played all year.

Those games were literally 2 or 3 plays from complete.

13. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

i think these week we can play 4 quarters of football and still not make the playoffs we are in a hole

Are playoffs hopes relay on Oakland and KC .........

and Carson palmers brother .....

i dont like our chances

14. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

That's why you don't tell our team to play for the playoffs. You tell them to play for a 9-7 record that will be the team's first ever winning season. You tell them that the game against New England is our Super Bowl.

15. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I wouldn't call the 2nd Jax game a complete game... we were on our way to a blowout loss until Schaub got back in the game and righted the ship on offense.

16. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Have not heard this before.

:thinking:

But we have played 4 quarters in the Buf,Oak, and Cincy game.

No question we need to work on playing all 4 quarters hard but we have done it several times this season, but not recently.

17. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

i couldn't really call the first jax game close to one either...our defense still was struggling alot.

18. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

I never claimed to be the only one. I do, however, claim to be respectful of each others' time by making it apparent from the thread title that this (ie, four quarters worth of effort) was what I was hoping to discuss.

But thank you for taking the time to contribute to the discussion.

Someone made the valid point that there are instances in which the Texans played 60 minutes. Add my name to the list of folks who have a beef with lack of consistency.

thunderkyss likes this.
  19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

basically you're saying that we've been partying.

Now that you've thrown cold water on the party...... I'm guessing that you're statement about playing 60 minutes was that "cold water"

If you thought there were others who have said the same thing,
    1. Why would you start a new thread?
    2. Why would we still be "partying" ?

I'm sorry that you are loathe though..... what does that mean?

But tell you what, I'll try to help you out, because I'm just that kind of guy.

Do you think the Texans take their foot off the gas...... insinuating a yellow belly coaching style not appreciated around these parts, or

Do you think the Texans shoot themselves in the foot...... insinuating the players make poor decisions at inopportune times?
    Surely you weren't under the impression that we were still partying if we were already told

20. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

In most of our games I see two problems.

1: We're young, meaning that we lose concentration and get sloppy once we feel that we're 'winning'

2: Once up we start calling more conservative plays, mostly running plays, but our lack of effective running plays means alot of punts and in turn a bad second half TOP.

#1, Some is coachable, alot has to do with experience.
    #2, That's all coaching.

We take care of these two issues and we'll whip out 'complete games' all the time.