Four names to watch on the coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by axman40, Dec 26, 2005.

1. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

Instead of focusing on all the coaches on the hot seat, let's focus on the men who will fill them. Talk amongst NFL executives is that there are at least four "hot" candidates. They include:
    http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9110630

:hmmm:

2. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

Herm Edwards if his services become available would top my list.

3. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

I'm not that crazy about Herm coming here.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

Kubiak.

I don't want a "coach speak" guy like Herm or Martz or anybody else that has become a professional grandstander.

The thing I like about Jim Mora Jr. is that he's past that "coach speak" stuff.

Just give me a guy who goes out onto the field and leads a team, takes off the headset after the game, and gets in and out of press conferences as quick as he can.

Herm is a nice guy, but he's full of himself.

5. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

well i dont think anyone can deny his abilities as a coach...i could care less about his pre/post game interviews...either way it will be better than hearing capers talk about not executing and hearing him say uhhh....uhhh...every 3 seconds.

6. powda

powda Hall of Fame

i want the x's and o's of an inovater like bellichek.

i want a motivater and a coach cabable of scaring the snot out of players like parcells.

and as a fan i want a football coach comparable to jeff van gundy. i want to know he's just as pissed as i am when things are wrong...i want you to shoot me straight instead of an endless line of cliche dribble. dont bs me and expect me to believe it.

i dont have to like the guy...i just want results.

7. Scooter

Scooter Funky

powda, you want parcells, belichick, or cowher. any would turn this around by next season, but i'm afraid we're not that lucky. personally i dont see how anything you listed ties in with van gundy though, because i think he's easily one of the worst coaches in basketball (ever), but that's a topic for a different forum.

i read that article several days ago, and what stood out to me is the title of "carousel" left out current head coaches possibly on their way out who will land jobs. of that breed ... herm edwards, jeff fisher, & jim haslett come to the forefront. i realize that it's a shortened article that's meant to stir up trouble, but he also left many assistants out. most noticably gary kubiak, but also rex ryan, wade phillips, & ron rivera.

what i'd love to see is gary kubiak get his chance. he's gotten the attention of the offense apparently by the team's and players' success in whatever that offense does, and also from players not in the area (like john lynch) with his fierce attitude. plus, he's caught the attention of everyone who's watched him on, any level, as easily one of the smartest guys in the game. i think he'd do VERY well as a HC, but i'm not sure what kind of staff he'd bring with him.

8. powda

powda Hall of Fame

i'm not refering to van gundy as in what results he does or dosent get. im talking about his persona in the media. i personally find it refreshing for a coach to call his players out...just this morning i believe i heard him say, "we lost the game before it even started because of our attitude".

sorry, maybe its just me but i like that mentality...anyone and everyone is held accountable. he dosent play games and he dosent keep secrets.

capers is a classact ,but hes downright sterile at a postgame confrence.

9. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

From an X and O standpoint, especially if management is sold on taking Bush, I like Brad Chidress from the Eagles. he runs the exact offense for Bush' s skills and helped develop McNabb as a quality QB. BTW, he should be a top candidate Bush or no Bush before any of you type it.

Because he has not been an NFL headcoach, i have no idea what type organizational skills or leader of men Childress is, but he has been on the "best coordinator never to be a headcoach" list for three or four years.

10. Scooter

Scooter Funky

the disagreement i have powda (dispite my view of his ineptness), is during an interview a few days ago van gundy say repeatedly "we cant stop a screen & roll". after saying it 3 or 4 times, a lightbulb clear as day (think beavis & butthead) went off in his head and he stuttered ... correcting himself by saying "we WONT stop a screen & roll". it takes him a month to realize every area he's screwed up on and despite his honest approach, it's too late and he's two steps behind. i do see what you mean though, and completely agree. a straight-forward, honest coach is a necessity. coaches like the mentioned cowher, belichick, parcells ... and the others like dungy, shannahan, & holmgren are the ideal, but none will be available this offseason. the hope we should have is finding one in an assistant position.

arlington, bud, please dont tell me that you're basing our next HC on how he'd interact with a college prospect. and please dont say he's the "best coordinator to never be a head coach" infront of kubiak's record, system, & rings.

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Looks I added the "bush or no Bush" sentence in vain. Obviously, the decisions will be made in the opposite order, but if you in theory have made up your mind to invest 50 million in a player to make the centerpiece of your team it should come up in the discussion. BTW, i think the Texans are going to win this Sunday and make the endless references to Bush mute.

I know everyone has Kubiak love, which is deserved, but essentailly he and Childress are the same type of candidate, coordinatiors in very successful offenses, but offenses where the head coach has his hand significantly in design and playcalling. Because of his connection here and with Reeves, we have discussed Kubiak more, but he and Childress are regarded in the same type of vain nationally.

12. djkennedy101

djkennedy101 Rookie

Kubiak for head coach....GM Dan Reeves:twocents:

13. GP

GP Go Texans!

Kubiak is a guy who is proving himself. He's on his way up.

Guys like Wade Phillips and Herm Edwards have shown they can make a team competitive, but there's just that "something" that's not there. Dom Capers is in that same class, and he just doesn't have that "something."

So do we want a HC who has been a HC somewhere else? Do we want a guy who, although he has a recognizeable face and name, hasn't really proven he's a winning HC?

Is that the stage we're at? We go for the name and the face, and disregard the Charlie Weis' of the game who were proving themselves within their roles as assistants...just waiting for their chance at HC somewhere?

All HC's pretty much start out as assistants. Whether they boom or bust is up in the air and is as much a gamble for a team owner as drafting players each year: You just don;t know until you try.

For me, as a Texans fan, I am of the opinion that an older guy who is a "face and a name" within the NFL is not the route for us to go. To me, nothing will deflate the fan base AND the players more than bringing in Wade Phillips or even Jimmy Johnson for that matter. For me, bring in the guy who is proving himself quietly on the sideline, the guy who itches to have his shot at HC.

14. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

The mascot? :)

15. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

Gregg Williams from the Redskins. I have been warming up to the idea of having him. He is younger, has head coaching experience, and went to DC to learn from Joe Gibbs. He has built a top defense everywhere he has been, and could indeed be the next Belichick.

16. Bullpen Drew

Bullpen Drew All Pro

Your new head coach is either Dan Reeves or Gary Kubiak for next year!

17. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Take Herm Edwards off your wish list (if it's still there), as speculated earlier - this pretty much notes either Jets or Chiefs. While it doesn't give a definite, if it's his way, he'll stay with the Jets. If DV is out, I'm sure the Chiefs would welcome him.

MSNBC.com

18. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

19. touttail

touttail All Pro

Don't know who will be here coaching next year, just hope he has some common sense, is not conservative, and is a no non-sense coach with swagger!

Bobby 119C:brickwall

20. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

If anyone is an offensive genius in Denver, it's Shanahan. Kubiak gets to look like a genius by being Shanahan's clipboard holder. Besides the Broncos haven't been to many Superbowls since John Elway retired.

I hear that Kubiak is great with QBs. Great! So was Chris Palmer.