Foster's "Incompletion" Should Have Been a TD

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GuerillaBlack, Nov 9, 2010.

1. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

http://www.texansgab.com/2010/11/09...d:+TexansGab+(Texans+Gab)&utm_content=Twitter

And here is a link to the story at FoxSports: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Austin-Collie-injury-hit-helmet-penalty-referee-Week-9-110710

So, there you go. I think almost everyone thought it should have been a TD. Bad call by the refs here. I really don't want that Mike guy reffing another game for us again...especially at Reliant. Anyone remember how loud and authoritative he was when he yelled "it stands" after the "interception" at the end of the game (I believe that was the play). I was wondering to myself why he was yelling, especially when the call is against the home team.

2. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

There were a lot of bad calls in this game. The Foster play and the intentional grounding call was all wrong.

I have a friend who is a heavy gambler and he preaches to me how all games are rigged and I am starting to believe it.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

When you compare the Foster non-TD to the one by Detroit a few weeks back ..... the rule was followed to the letter. :smiliepalm:

4. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Sorry don't get us 7 points on the board.

**sigh**

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Why do you think the intentional grounding call was wrong?

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

In Detroit, CJ was in the air when the ball hit his hands. He had control of the ball, but never had his feet down, or any part of his body down that would constitute possession.

When his butt hit the ground, so did the ball. He was in the act of making a catch when he went to the ground. The rule is he has to maintain possession through the fall to be ruled a catch.

I don't have a problem with that one being ruled an incomplete pass.

Foster caught the ball outside the end zone. He has possession, before he turns and extends into the end zone. Foster's play is more like Colt McCoys scrambling touchdown or Peyton Hillis' dive into the endzone where he loses the ball as it hits the pylon.

Either way we lost the game, my opinion of how they played still wouldn't have changed, I know we've got an offense that can score 30 on any given day so we've always got a chance to win. I was pleased that we had success early & was in the game for 60 minutes. Still peaved that KJ got burned twice, on simple go routes..... that is not supposed to happen, his physical play at the line was one of his strongest selling points. The defense didn't get that last stop that they needed...... doesn't matter how many points they actually gave up (23 by the defense, not 30). They needed a stop, didn't get it. Allowed a touchdown, not a field goal.

The outcome of the game would have been different. The fans (myself included) would have felt differently about the win. But fans of football which includes most of the people on this board would understand we still have work to do.

Texanmike02 likes this.
  7. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I'm thinking it's either a incompletion, or a PI call against the guy covering Dreessen.

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Bad call or the right call, what difference does it make? If the Texans were good enough to win the game they would have, bad call or not.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Well maybe because none of the requirements of the rule were met. First to get called for intentional grounding you have to be under pressure. That's why spiking the ball doesn't count as intentional grounding. Schaub was not under pressure. Second there was a receiver in the area. You can watch any weekend and see QB's divot the ball 10 yards short of eligible receiver who is too well covered and not have a flag called when they are clearly under pressure and just trying to get rid of the ball.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

That Foster "incompletion" was such B.S. I really think we would have won had they called it right. Wasn't it called a TD and they overturned it? I forget b/c I was so busy yelling.

As far as Schaub intentionally grounding the ball? I would say yes he intentionally threw it away... but that's not a penalty. Like many said, he wasn't pressured, he threw it past the line of scrimmage and the TE was in the vicinity. It was an obvious throw away but that doesn't mean it was a penalty. Bad call by the refs.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

See, I think it shouldn't be called intentional grounding, because Schaub wasn't under duress.

QBs throw the ball away in that same situation & it is never called.

It is intentional grounding if he's about to get hit, is wrapped up, or on his way down.

12. TexansWest

TexansWest Rookie

My high school head coach always told us, "you have to be better than the other team, it's fans, and the referees". "Referees are human and make mistakes and you must be good enough to overcome them". Face it, the Texans just aren't good enough, period!!!!!

13. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

OK, what kinds of things does he say???

I've been suspecting this about all 3 of our popular pro sports in this country for a long time.

14. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

They need to start fining refs for making huge mistakes. They fine players for wrong socks.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  15. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Thats a bunch of BS. Teams in the league are so damn close to each other, that any little thing can swing a game in the other direction. A ref constantly screwing one team can and WILL change the outcome of a game.

TheMatrix31 likes this.
  16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

How do you know they don't ?

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The refs are becoming much too visible in the NFL for my tastes. It waters down the product and brings too much human fallibility into play as it regards the outcome of games. I'm steadily growing weary of this trend and find myself on the verge of total apathy as a result.

18. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Mike Pereira did a total flip-flop (yeah, there's a surprise :rolleyes: ) from his explanation on Calvin Johnson's incomplete.TD pass.

19. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

It should have been called a touchdown because Foster makes the catch and then tries to extend the ball across the line, but he didn't realize he was already in the end zone. That extension should have been ruled a 'football move' and then a 'fumble', but you can't fumble in the end zone because it was already a TD.

thunderkyss likes this.
  20. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

Here's what was different about Foster's non-TD to Calvin's non-TD, he caught the ball BEFORE he broke the plane. So when he caught it then stretched out to break the plane I thought it didnt matter what you did after that, once the plane is broken I assumed thats a touchdown