Foster our starting RB?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by redwhiteANDblue, May 21, 2010.

1. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

"I've been impressed with Foster," Kubiak said. "(He) went from first year to second year a big jump, just (from) watching him practice. Steve is sitting here lining up as a two and he started 15 games two years ago. Hasn't said a word, just working, and that's been very impressive.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6174

I'm not only saying this becuase Kubaik is praising him. I've been watching the last two games and Foster has been running with a high motor. He's moving piles when he needs to, and puts on a move in the open field. He's got potential to be our starter.
    Now it's up to Tate and see how he does but I really think Foster will be our main RB and Tate will be put in for the short yard situations

2. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I say its only because Slaton and Tate are injured. I think Tate would be getting the first team reps if he was completely healthy. Slaton is being reduced to being what he was drafted for.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well, look at it this way. If Slaton rebounds, Foster continues to roll like he finished the season and JJ or Moats step up, our weakest position might eventually become pretty strong. Hopefully Tate will get some action next week and he's able to show what he's got.

In the end, I can't wait until camp and pre-season where the pads are strapped up and the hittin begins. We'll get a better look at the RB corps.

4. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Wow, to go from a two headed monster with Slaton and Tate to a three headed monster???

Dios Mio....

:spin:

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I dont want to rain on anyone's parade but dont we always have a conversation about one of our "no-name" running backs in the offseason who is getting praised...

and we always talk about how this guy might be "THE" guy and we all get all stirred up and excited and then... well you know...week 1 comes around and...

well I dont want to jinx anything. He could be THE guy. I know I was really impressed with Foster and Moats last season... at this point im just happy that we have RBs worth getting excited about.

6. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

^^^^^^^^

Captain Bringdown and the Buzzkill Posse

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

And who are we speaking of that might be a "no-name" this season?

I'd agree with your statement following a few seasons. I admit, I was high on Chris Taylor one off-season. That didn't last long. Ha

We've got a 2nd round rookie from the SEC who I think could be just as good, if not better than those drafted in front of him. We've got Foster, another RB out of the SEC. IMO, the only thing that kept him off the field most of last season was his poor practice habits. We've got Slaton, a guy who's proven he can do it on the field. I beleive he'll now be used at what he was initially drafted for, a 3rd down back.

We've got Moats, then a bunch of guys fighting for a spot.

8. GuerillaBlack

Not to mention most of those "no-name" backs didn't even play in the NFL yet. At least Foster has played in a couple of games.

9. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Yes. Especially when based on coach-speak.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

One of, how about one - Chris Taylor. A guy who might have had the talent to make it but nobody knows because of injury.

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Let's say this is not just the normal OTA I have to say somethng nice about him thing, do we think that the competition is really best man carries the ball or is Tate the lead guy no matter what?

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I do think it will be based on merit. Executing a meritocracy is one of the characteristics I like about Kubiak.

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Unlike the previous guy, Chris Taylor who only did well in like the last game of the season, I like the fact that Foster at least showed 3 games worth of production facing two very good defenses that still had something on the line in Miami and New England.

Is the Jury still out on him, sure! However you can't discard him because he's shown he can play in this league.

14. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Based on how Foster played late in the season last year, based on what we project Tate to do (and with good reason), and based on what we know Slaton is capable of doing I think we have a lot to be excited about.

Agree that we are always looking for that RB this time a year and some of us (like myself) can get excited at the prospect of finally plugging the hole only to be disappointed. But......we drafted a bruiser with speed and power in the early rounds that projects very well in the ZBS and coming off of a very productive college career. Slaton will finally not have to carry the load and that should keep him fresh and we should see the explosivness that comes with that and as mentioned will be used for the intent he was chosen. And Foster should be able to at least be a role player based on what we saw late last year, getting first team reps should help him get ready for the season.

I see Moats hanging on to the very last spot and maybe not even dressing on gameday.

15. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

If Foster is the starter, the Texans are...

[​IMG]ED

16. GuerillaBlack

Maybe Moats can be traded for something. I doubt his trade value is very high though. He'll probably stick with the team in case of an injury during the season.

17. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Hell I called Foster to the Texans (In the 4th though ahahaha) last year before the draft and was pleasantly surprised he was with us as a UDFA. However, if Foster is our starter then that means that both Slaton and Tate have probably failed magnificently during the pre-season.

I think Foster is a very good guy to have waiting on the bench for when Kubiak gets mad at his back and has him ride the pine for one reason or another.

18. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Think so?

15 @STL W 16-13 2 7 3.5 6 0 1 13 13.0 13 0 1 1
    16 @MIA W 27-20 19 97 5.1 17 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
    17 NE W 34-27 20 119 6.0 24 2 3 26 8.7 10 0 0 0

a 5.1 YPC against Miami, a 6.0 YPC against NE...

Id take it, bro.

19. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Well, if my assumptions turned out to be accurate, we still need Moats. Just one injury away from him being needed.

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'm still waiting for Morency to break out.

:D

mariowillshine15 likes this.