Foster leaves game due to irregular heart beat

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dc_txtech, Dec 23, 2012.

1. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Hope he's ok.

3. ajohnson80

ajohnson80 Veteran

I was wondering what happened. I remember Hakeem had to miss a few games with that. Hope Foster gets better in time to help us in the playoffs.

4. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Had it happen to me one time...it can just pop out of nowhere. At least it did with me when it happened.

5. qqert

qqert All Pro

i had that all afternoon watching the offense.

Kimmy likes this.
  6. AMartin56

AMartin56 Veteran

Time to eat meat again...hopefully he's alright.

7. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Geez, I hope the guy's ok.

8. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Arrhythmias are not fun, but usually "fixable" although it can take time to ultimately resolve it.

Prayers out for Arian. Hope it's minor.

9. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

If this is true, then he could be done for the year.

10. Premier

Premier All Pro

right.. damn those vegetables and their strain on our hearts..

11. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A

Could be...but Hakeem Olajuwon and Heywood Jeffries had it and they were not done for the year. Theirs was atrial fibruation of course, but I would think if Foster was having ventrical fibrualtion they'd be rushing him to the hospital and would have heard a lot worse already.

I'm not anything like the doc up in here, but for atypical A-Fib, it's going to depend on how long he stays in it, if his heart regulates back no normal sinus rhythm on its own, if he needs meds, etc. They watch this closely, but it's usually not life threatening. The main thing is not being in A-fib for a prolonged amount of time and not getting a clot!

He should be fine.

12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is not the first time that he has had an "irregular heart beat." Pretty much as you summarized it. But, he may not even have A-fib. Just as common is "skipped beats" which will only be differentiate by the medical staff. Either can be tripped by heavy exertion, hypoglycemia, stimulants as simple as a cup of coffee, deficiency in calcium or magnesium or potassium (heavy sweating)....to mention some of the most common. The source needs to be identified if at all possible. He needs to be on a Halter heart monitor to try to capture the association. Meanwhile, the important thing is to get him out of the irregularity. This may occur spontaneously. If not, meds and/or correction of deficiencies....if that doesn't convert him, possibly defibrilation.....and if it is due to an anatomical abnormal electrical impulse site (not the normal atrium site of origin), then maybe surgical ablation (destruction) of the abnormal origin tissue. The only time this becomes a serious problem is if the abnormal heart beat is not like the occasional "skipped beats" ....just annoying, but an abnormal beat that disrupts the synchronous pumping of the heart. In the latter, blood clots can form in the heart, which can indeed be life-threatening if the patient is not placed on blood thinners...............and blood thinners and football don't mix very well at all.

More than likely, his problem will be identified and controlled without the need for blood thinners. We'll need to wait for more information

VTexan likes this.
  13. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

Standing behind Matt Schaub presnap, wondering how he might f up the upcoming play, is enough to give anyone an irregular heartbeat.

14. AMartin56

AMartin56 Veteran

A varied diet with moderation is better than anything extreme IMO. Dietary issues can cause irregular heartbeats.

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

A strict vegan diet, which Foster is not following, does not leave you deficient in the elements that lead to irregular heart beat. Iron and B12 are the only elements that may be deficient. But these are not directly related to heart irregularity.......and he admits to meat intake which should negate even this possible dietary deficiency. Besides, most strict vegans know to take iron and B12 supplements.

Showtime100 likes this.
  16. Bigbots_02

Bigbots_02 Veteran

Damn, Hope hes ok. Playoffs are coming and all, but the most important thing is if hes ok. As much as I think hes important to the football team, His health is more important. Hate to see bad things happen to good people.

17. Mr. Texan

Mr. Texan I'm A Texan

Nick Scurfield@NickScurfield
    Kubiak said Arian Foster had an irregular heartbeat. "He’s doing fine. Something that happened once before in practice. Just precaution."
    23 Dec 12

Nick Scurfield@NickScurfield
    Kubiak said there was a point when doctors told him Foster was OK, but he decided to keep him out. "I don't see any issues here." #Texans

18. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Thanks, Dr. CND.

As always, I MSR for your posts.

19. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Got him, thanks for that information Doc. :tiphat:

20. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I diagnose him with cronis overuse syndrome as a result of not enough carries being given to the backups.

HJam72 likes this.