Foster fumbling

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by utahmark, Aug 12, 2012.

1. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

You guys think this is anything to worry about? http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/arian-foster-fumbling-again/

Once Steve Slaton started fumbling he went down hill fast. Maybe it's just a phase but if this is something that starts getting in his mind we might have problems. Honestly, he may not be the best runner on this team but he is definitely the best all around back we(or maybe anybody else) has.

With the way the other rb's on this team are playing would consider trading Foster? There are not many players that you can get much in return for a trade but I think Foster might command quite a bit. Trade scenario threads are usually pretty dumb and I am mostly interested in discussing whether you think his fumbling might turn into a problem but if you think it might then maybe trading him now is the best option.

2. BorrowMe

BorrowMe Rookie

3. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

Steve Slaton had a neck issue where he lost feeling in his hand and arm - he had to have a a special surgery that not many come back from if I understand correctly. I believe he was the first running back to have it and return.

Foster on the other hand has always had a reputation of fumbling. He did it in a big spot or two in college and the reputation stuck with him, although some say its undeserved. I think I read once he had the big one in the bowl game, he had 5 fumbles for the rest of his college career.

Either way, Foster makes big plays happen. When he does, he can sometimes let the ball drop to his side like he did last night and it can get poked out. It is not something we like to see, but I think it is just something we have to live with when he is out on the field. I don't think it will ever be a horrible problem for him, just that it always sticks in our mind when he does fumble it.

As for trading him, I don't think thats an option. We just signed him to a big contract with lots of guaranteed money. Not only would we lose all the cash, but we would probably not find fair value for a high priced running back as most teams do not value the position that high anymore and will not pay backs big money.

I think the best idea is just to keep working with him on the fumbles and hope they don't come at a bad time. It is sort of the same thing with Vick - he can make huge plays happen, but when he does, he does not secure the ball and there is always the risk of a fumble. You just try to look the other way when it happens knowing that most of the time, more good than bad will come.

utahmark likes this.
  4. jtexas

jtexas Veteran

Slaton relied on his speed more than "vision" and after hurting his neck he never recovered. I don't think Foster's running will be effected, but i bet we see Tate getting more inside carries this year.

5. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

6. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

I forgot about his neck injury.

7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

No. You don't panic trade the best RB in the league.

Foster [​IMG] Steve Slaton.

8. 281

281 Hall of Fame

Although I agree his fumbles can be annoying, you are blowing this way out of proportion.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Portis wanted a new contract that Shanny didn't want to give him. So he was dealt for the best corner in the league. Foster just signed a new deal, so that dynamic doesn't exist here.

I doubt that Foster's fumbling becomes a major issue. He's lost 6 fumbles in 786 touches. I'm not losing any sleep over this.

utahmark and NitroGSXR like this.
  10. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

This was one fumble in pre season. Foster has been the best RB in the NFL the last 2 seasons. I dont think i would consider one fumble in a meaningless game a concern.

The guy runs with the ball carelessly, its how he does all his moves, he cant make a lot of those cuts if he has the ball and arms into his body, "balance" you take the good with the bad. But it is no major concern.

Slaton didnt have half the moves foster has.

11. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

Let's also not forget it was the 1st preseason game. There is no reason for concern.

12. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

It's just common sense he needs to have both arms wrapped on that football when running through opponents. That fumble last night was a result in him not having the ball tucked away with it loosely in his left arm, result a fumble by a rookie LB.

Now this I understand is just preseason but he should know to cover up the ball when running through a pile...

13. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

I don't lose sleep over any of it. Just off the top of my head I count 4 fumbles in the last 3 games so I think it might be open for discussion.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

We had this conversation at the begining of last year .... now we're having it again.

That number could have been considerably higher as he put a few others on the turf that were recovered.

I was concerned then .... every turnover concerns me this go round as the stakes are much higher for the Texans going into this season than ever before.

I think Fosters running style exposes the ball on occasion. Sometimes the team pays for that as was shown in the replays of the fumble yesterday when it was punched out from behind. I'd like to see him keep the ball a little tighter and up high.

15. since02

since02 "Step 1"

Someone please give a Arian a piece of steak and get him off this vegan phase hes going thru! We're seeing the results of having limited protein in his system! Football and lean meat go hand in hand!!!!!

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

The thing about this that can be good for him is....defenders will start thinking they can try to get the ball rather than tackling him.

And that's going to mean defenders take a risk and will generally end up losing 9 times out of 10.

Every moment a defender is less concentrated on TACKLING Foster is time Foster is getting further up the field.

He will work on it. I'm sure he's still thinking about it right now.

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

If we tried to trade him after having just signed him (at a very fair deal to the Texans, btw) it would be a huge dick move.

We don't want the locker room fallout from that.

18. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

:kubepalm:
    Yes ignore every dietician in the world and go crazy. It's not like he was eating a steak a day and then suddenly stopped. He was probably already only eating meat very rarely and then stopped completely.

19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I think Foster is the least of our worries. I'm not concerned at all about that fumble.

20. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

So then what is the excuse for all the other RB who fumble the ball and eat meat?

:wadepalm: