Fortune shines on Morency?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Malloy, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3553435.html

"Meanwhile, backup Jonathan Wells, an unrestricted free agent in the offseason, is trying to put together an impressive finish despite a thigh bruise that's roughly the size of a football.

Wells will be evaluated daily this week, leaving open the possibility that rookie Vernand Morency will make his first start. Morency is trying to prove he is ready for a larger role next year or enhance his chances of being traded"

Oh dear oh dear, I'm getting real excited!! 4 quarters of Morency, at last we get to try our rookie turbo-engine in a game!!
    Morency reminds me of a puppie, waaaay too much energy and a will to please and play :)

2. eric138

eric138 Veteran

Yup, He may single handedly win this game for us..

3. monty0252006

monty0252006 Rookie

been looking for this guy to step up to the plate, he has outstanding speed, agility, and power, brings a tear to my eye when i see him run the ball, reminded me of a young Earl Campbell:redtowel:

4. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

About friggin time. Just in time for evaluation by the consultant and future HC. Light 'em up Morency.

Interestingly, from the same article...

Hmm... future DC? Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

So do you guys believe Wells will catch on somewhere else or we will trade Morency if we end up with the #1 pick?

6. monty0252006

monty0252006 Rookie

trading morency would be a mistake, trying wells at FB would be good, allowing him to backup any RB positon holder. I believe nobody what's to feel as if they are no essential to a program so it will all fall on who is coaching next year, not capers:bomb:

7. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Morency will be a good, cheap backup to DD and/or Bush. I see Wells possibly staying for one more season IF Bush does not land in H-town.

8. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

I think it all depends on if we draft Bush or not. If we do though I would like to keep Wells maybe use him as TE and fullback and reserve rb. I know it might sound crazy but I think Wells would be a great tight end. He can run, he can catch, and he can block. Given reps I know he would excel in that position. Morency I understand this is a business and he hasn't been utilized this season at all, I can sympathise with his decision. If Bush came here he would have Bush and Davis in front of him. Playing time would be scarce, I think the trade would be dissappointing if it were to happen, but on the other hand the team would get something in return. Like I've said this looks to be an interesting offseason.

9. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I'm a big fan of Wells, but I am not sure he is big enough?

10. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

What's wrong with Moran Norris?

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I also saw more success with our passing offense when Wells comes out of the backfield as receiver from the FB position.

12. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I like Wells, I hope he stays, but I am glad Morency is getting a shot to prove what he can do.

13. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

I need him to justify what I considered to be a WASTE of a pick on him considering we need major o-line help and spent a 3rd on him instead of drafting any o-line till the 5th round and he hasn't played any significant role at all this year.

Just another stone to what was one of the worst drafts i've seen

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I think all three of our RBs will stay. Moran Norris is a good blocking FB so I don't see Wells taking over as our main guy there, although he is a big back and more of a runner than Norris so we could put him back there in certain formations and situations to be a blocker and more of a running/receiving threat than Norris is out of the backfield. Morency is in the same mold as Davis, although I think he is a little faster straight line speed, and I think he can be just as effective as Davis once he learns to just run rather than dancing around so much, although he was getting better at that the last game or two. Either way we just used a 3rd round pick on him so I bet he stays, and hopefully the coaches next year will sub him in for Davis for 4-6 runs a game and give him some rest so he doesn't wear out his knees again. Tony Hollings on the other hand is likely on his way out, unless he shows us something really special this weekend in the event that Wells can't play and the RB duties are left to Morency and Hollings.

15. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

What good is a blocking FB if we rarely use him? I like Moran Norris and all, but he's not used in this scheme. Maybe in next years he can get on the field.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I heard on the radio tonight as I went home that Morency was sent home with "Flu like symptoms" today and the guy on the radio (Mark Vandameer?) was saying that Hollings might get the start. It was idle speculation but I'm not planning on seeing Morency all day Sunday (though I'd like to).

17. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

Neither will happen...it will be the first signs of Hollings getting the boot on the way out of the door to the stadium. So we would have Bush, Davis, Wells and Morency vs our current back situation of Davis, wells, morency and hollings.

18. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I could see us getting rid of Hollings, moving Wells to FB, and then having the depth chart as Bush/Davis, Morency

19. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Wells isn't a full-time FB, and people have complained on these boards earlier in the year about his blocking skills, or lack thereof, so I doubt he becomes a FB as Moran Norris is pretty solid at the position when they use him. I can't imagine Hollings remaining here next year but who knows, the Texans have done more surprising things than that in the past. I won't comment on Bush being in our depth chart next year.

20. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

No, that's horrible news. I too would like to see Hollings but man... I REALLY want to see Morency for 4 quarters! :)