Ford to play Fullback

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Apr 29, 2012.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Houston will give Althoff grad Jason Ford a chance to play in NFL
    BY STEVE KORTE

Former University of Illinois running back Jason Ford hopes a switch to fullback will lead to a career in the NFL.

Ford said he's agreed to terms on a contract as an undrafted free agent with the Houston Texans on Saturday night.

"Yes, I'm a Houston Texan," the Althoff High School graduate said.

Ford said he went into the draft process as both a running back and a fullback to increase his options.

"I went in as a running back and a fullback, and they've got a vacant spot at fullback," Ford said. "I come in as one of the only fullbacks they've got, so I have a chance to make their roster and get some playing time."

Ford played in 48 games during his career with the Illini. He rushed for 1,962 yards and 26 touchdowns (second most in Illinois history).

Ford had 155 carries for a career-high 600 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

Ford doesn't see the move to fullback as being a tough transition.

"Not at all," Ford said. "At Illinois, I did a little bit of both. In some packages, I go to fullback. I don't mind blocking at all, and I feel like I have pretty good hands coming out of the backfield."

Ford said he watched the 2012 NFL draft, but he wasn't upset about not hearing his name being called.

As undrafted free agent, he was able to pick the place where he wanted to play.

"I'm not really disappointed," Ford said. "Of course, you always want to get drafted, but in free agency you have the chance to put yourself in the best situation. I had other teams call seeing if I wanted to come there, but the best situation was in Houston. I'm just glad of where I am at right now. I have a great opportunity, and I want to take advantage of it.

http://www.bnd.com/2012/04/29/2158566/houston-will-give-ford-a-chance.html

2. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

We may need Casey to be a TE most of the time this year, so this guy might just make it.

3. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

yeah....if Dressen was still here.....Casey might be our fullback...but since Dressen left......Casey probaly takes his spot and Ford comes in and learns fullback.....of course that is just speculation.....

4. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Doubt they ever leave themselves with just Casey at FB, the dude seems very situational and also its important that they have the option of using him at TE. I reckon whether its Ford or someone else, they definitely want a true FB on the roster as well as Casey.

5. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

Jason Ford 6' 1" 235
    James Casey 6' 3" 243
    Vonta Leach 6' 0" 260

Go squat and stout or don't bother with a FB. Or use Brooks.

6. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

If Jason gets his neck surgically fused to a fire hydrant it should add 20 lbs in steel, and the extra muscle he'll build up carrying it around will put him at 260.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I think it would give us a pretty interesting look at fullback, similar to what the Ravens did for a few years

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not

9. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

I just think we can make a versatile playbook by including the fullback in tosses out of the backfield. I think back to how the 9ers used Rathman out of the backfield in the West Coast. I can't think of many teams that have really taken advantage of a versatile fullback.

10. Rey

Rey Guest

I think that stuff has it's place, but I'd rather foster and Tate be the ones toting the rock. I'm not opposed to a wrinkle here or there though.

11. Rey

Rey Guest

12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I posted this in the "Undrafted" thread. Ford does not weigh 235 lbs.

LINK

Click on the link above and see what he looks like in the flesh at Illi Pro Day which was held on March 6:

13. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Man, that cat is chiseled & ripped. Looks like he could clear a hole for Arian to me!

14. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

I saw huge potential for Ford to be a fullback. They run a fairly college style triple threat, with double fake gives and a lot of misdirection. Watch Ford's highlights, everytime he picks up an edge rusher they almost always end up on the ground. Dude is a very qualified blocker/fullback candidate.

15. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

I got the wrong one. This is more interesting. 250 plus is what you want. The Texans addressed every area of need in the last couple days. Everything hinges on keeping the starting QB upright. Probably seen the last sneak done by Schaub.

16. Premier

Premier All Pro

just some photos of our new fullback..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyone know if he can catch...

17. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
  18. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I watched Ford alot when he played with the Illini, good player...will be a transition to him to switch to FB but I believe he could do it. He'll have the vision of a running back, he just needs to learn to blow up people and take on blocks around the line of scrimmage.

19. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

I really don't think it will. Watching his blocking versus run plays, he tends to absolutely level people as a blocker, but for some reason likes to avoid contact as a runner. I think he'll thump some people, time will tell though.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I couldn't help but notice the one fullback I wanted, Bradle Ewing went four picks before the Texans took Bullock in the 5th. It was one player missed who actually deflated me somewhat after that I didn't want the Texans to draft a FB.

Bradle was 5116 & weighed 239. Not sure about all these numbers floating around but my stats indicate Jason Ford is 5103 238. That's plenty stout, like a fireplug. Texans will work to develop his blocking skills, otherwise he is everything the Texans could hope for as a undrafted FB. Another excellent choice :)