for you with good memories:Richard Smith

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/log/log11.html

Is this where Richard Smith got his antics?

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

well talking about "hit the beach award" not the leaving tickets... I thought someone (Vinny perhaps?) said the Smith (back in the day) woud have camo's on and such.

3. southtexan

southtexan Veteran

I caught on with the Oilers during the end the luv ya blue era, the first game that I went to see at the dome was the preseason when Ed Biles became our coach, I read the article and I clearly remember everything that happened during that time, let me tell you I used to follow the Oilers religiously, Many losing season, until the strike that's when we got lucky and won some games that we shouldn't have won. To this day I can't watch the meltdown at Buffalo.

4. southtexan

southtexan Veteran

Does anyone remembers the name of one of the replacement playeres that caught on with the team, Seals?

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I remember him opening kickoff against washington in 88 (i believe) knocked out Ricky Sanders(?)

jumped for joy on the hit, yet when I saw in slow motion, hoped that Rickey was ok.. (he just went limp falling back)

6. ESAD2-14

ESAD2-14 TexanAmerican

I think it was Eugene Seale, or sumthin like that.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

It was Eugene Seale. He turned a three game "audition" into 6 years in the NFL. He was a favorite of mine and he was a good special teams player who frequently got to wear that helmet. I remember seeing film of him walking around the field with it (and some camo) on. He was totally into it.

Yeah, "The Runt in Black" was all for the aggression. I think (and hope) that Richard Smiths defense plays hard like that but I also hope that he's grown up a little bit and understands the need for his defense to play in control and with discipline too.

8. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

considering what he did with Miami's defense last season, am sure he is aggressive and yet more mature.:bananasplit:

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

One of the other guys on special teams that teamed up well with Seals that I liked was Eric Fairs.

I've been waiting for a duo like that on our Special Teams. I have yet to see it.

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Well I forget if he caught on and if he did it was only for a little while, but there was this receiver by the name of Mike Akiu.

Was Larry Moriarty one of the replacements?

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

No, Moriarity was a 5th rounder out of Notre Dame in 1983. He was a pretty good short yardage "bull" type guy when he was here. I liked him and thought if he'd had more carries in 84 he would have busted a thousand yards

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Wasn't Oliver Luck a replacement player? I think he ended up sticking around for a short period. I could be wrong.:spy:

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I remember those days, too. Seale had a great attitude and you could just see love of the game written all over his play.

I don't think Kubiak would put up with an undisciplined squad, no matter how aggressive it was in making plays. Kubiak strikes me as a no-b.s. item, and losing yardage from penalties seems like something he'd have a low tolerance for.

14. donbmt

donbmt Veteran

Eugene Seale is a Beaumont boy, played college ball at Lamar. I love this board, where else can a question about Richard Smith turn into talk about an ex-Lamar football player?

15. srstex

srstex Veteran

Although it's just preseason I think the D has already shown the maturity questioned earlier in this board. The defense has shown a bend don't break mentality as well, and if we only give up 17 points a game, we should win. Kubiak's scheme alone should put us in position to score that much.

16. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

House of Pain baby. Them was fun times. As I recall we had a strong line but not a sack crazy line. It just pressured the heck out of the QB and was stingy with the run. Lot more home run plays called back then. That was a league for Warren Moon and Bret Farve. This is a league that rewards mistake free/low risk game planning. Boring.