For the first time on 10 years . . .

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

. . . watching the defense is fun for me. It's fun to watch.

I mean, what the hell is this? A consistent pash rush, consistent pressure on the quarterback, constant disruption in the backfield?

Amazing how much better the secondary plays when the front seven does something, right?

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Ive been trying to figure out if its the players or the coaching / scheme .... Many of the same guy's on the field as last year but the results are dramatically different.

Was last years defensive staff .... That bad?!

3. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

i hear ya...

but i'm not drinking the koolaid yet...im scared to :(

4. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I was exactly thinking about that. I think Yes that bad. And you compare with bad to great DC like Wade, there is a huge difference.

Go Texans!!!

5. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

I respect that thought like you wouldn't believe. We have yet to see Week 1. However, not to gush over other posters or anything, but these two (Marcus, Corrosion, EDIT: Samarai too) experienced Texan fans are seeing exactly what I am seeing and wondering where to put the finger. It's something a little too good. On top of that, it's been more than just the Texans history when a defense I have pledged to has shown so much.

Ok, goooood sip of Kood Aid there, but I'm impressed so far, but reverent that Houston 0-0 in 2011.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

When you look at the front four , the only change is substituting Watt for 0k0y3 ....

Then again , you get Barwin and MW on the field at the same time with A.Smith .... The Texans pass rush was never the same after Barwin was injured last season , go back and watch the first Dolts game again ....

7. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

It's not that simple. Change in the coach, defensive scheme, plus the development of existing, and addtion of new players.

But, what IS simple, is what happens up front, in the trenches. If you don't win the battle there, then everything else, the secondary, the coaches, the team, is going to SUCK!

We are NOW winning the battle up front... and it makes all the difference in the world.

8. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

It can't be the coaching because "the coaches don't play on the field". However most of the players are the same. Hmmm.

9. Scooter

Scooter Funky

granted it's still preseason, and texans fans know by now not to get our hopes up too high, but like marcus said - our defense is fun to watch for the first time. abc had a poll towards who has the biggest impact on defense. wade, watt, or joseph ... and the answer should have been "yes". wade's scheme works, simple as that. he brings a teaching aspect that we havent had since capers (who spent his time failing at teaching the offense), including assistants with the same ability to improve our players like vance. he brought in no less than 3 impact players on defense in the draft, namely the monstrosity that is jj watt. and, we landed a pair of immediate impact players through free agency in joseph and manning. "cautiously optimistic" ... we should be no worse than middle of the pack on defense.

we played horribly against the 9'ers in my opinion and still absolutely destroyed them in every way. sure they're a really bad team, but if we want to be good we're supposed to crush lesser teams even when not at our best.

10. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Your not alone. The preseason means nothing, and I have drank the Koolaid before and been very disappointed by it. I love the Texans and will always be a fan and pull for them but I'll have to wait until about the 6th game of the regular season for them to show me something real before I start sipping the red bug juice again.

Scooter put it well "cautiously optimistic" fits nicely.

11. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I think it's a combination of all the above suggestions.

1) The coaching staff is far superior to our previous staff & has been very successful with implementing this system in the past.

2) The addition of Watt & return of Barwin/Demeco.

3) The secondary is actually being coached up. I've been especially impressed with the improved secondary play & this was just the first game for our prized free agent (Joseph).

4) However, in my opinion, the single biggest change is that we are playing with 5 defensive linemen. With the speed, strength & power they possess they are just overwhelming the offensive line.

I'm finding myself longing for the next game before the current one is through. This is looking like a great year to be a Texan fan.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

We still havent seen the projected starting lineup for the defense .... Eash of these preseason games , one or more of those players has been out.

Today it was Ryans and then Quin left with an injury early.

Also have to admit that Jackson looks like a totally different player ....

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Thats what I was getting at in an earlier post , you have for all intents and purposes 4 DE's on the field in MW , Barwin , Watt and A.Smith .... Getting that many guy's with that kind of speed and athleticism on the field at once has to be difficult for opposing OL's to deal with ....

Barwin & MW have looked pretty solid in coverage as well .... Although I think teams will try to exploit both in that aspect during the season - we just havent seen it yet.

14. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

Other than the fact that it's only preseason and we've yet to see this defense show off its good stuff or against entire offensive gameplans, I'd also like to see this defence play without a lead.

I want to see how they react where for once, the team is relying on them to win a game. It'll be a big change for us as Texan fans, but once we see that happen, then we'll truly know the stars are aligning.

15. Crushing56

Crushing56 Rookie

It's so strange for me to want the offense to get off the field just so I can watch our defense!

16. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

I agree. Although, most of the pressure/sacks are coming from the 2nd team imo, the 1st team looks impressive also.

17. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I am aware of our pass rush went down hill after Barwin injured last season.

I think we had enough talent last year up front however, utilizing our talent to coach's scheme wasn't there. When you think about it, we were 4-3 D last year and 3-4 this year. Now, this is a huge change especially the most of our players weren't experienced in 3-4 scheme. Seems to me Wade has custom-made his scheme to fit our players and maximize their talent. Our past DC's(Smith and Bush) were seems to be limited in this area of skills IMO.

It has been only a little over month with Wade's 3-4 scheme and our D is already showing a huge improvement. I mean, how many sacks and QB pressure have we seen already in just 3 preseason games. (I know it is preseason but still) This was unthinkable in the past. So I say, it was our coaching staff in the past that sucked mainly DC.

Anyway, I am hyped and looking forward to our regular season.

Go Texans!!!

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

That's an important point. Remember that both Richard Smith and Frank Bush's mantra was "We pressure the QB with our front four. We won't do exotic blitzes. We will get to the QB with ONLY our front four." Remember we hardly ever blitzed. And when we did, everyone could see it coming and know, pre-snap, where it was coming from.

Wade's pass rush seems to incorporate more built-in stunts than that vanilla stuff we saw last season. Or maybe the guys are just playing off each other's fury.

19. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

I think it is a combination of players and Wade.

Wade has brought a proven defensive scheme he can customize to the talent he has available.

The players have taken to it like a fat cop on a donut. It is a beautiful thing to see.

Defense is now fun to watch on this team.

20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but it's preseason, defenses and offenses both aren't showing you everything. One things for sure though, the defense, vanilla or not, and no matter if its the 1s, 2s, or 3s, the defense is playing much more agressive and getting turnovers and sacks.

Now that's change you can believe in. LOL