Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Football Outsiders QB Rankings: Schaub #21

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Interesting QB rankings through week 2

Schaub's Passing Rank is #21 (other value rankings #18 DYAR and #19 DVOA [DYAR means a quarterback with more total value. DVOA means a quarterback with more value per play])
Because of lack of any run threat, he is not even ranked in this category.

Interesting QB rankings through week 2

Schaub's Passing Rank is #21 (other value rankings #18 DYAR and #19 DVOA [DYAR means a quarterback with more total value. DVOA means a quarterback with more value per play])
Because of lack of any run threat, he is not even ranked in this category.

He's not ranked in which category? You posted both his DYAr & DVOa.... they have him at 20 for QBR, which takes into account play making ability & clutch factor.... different from the NFL passer rating.

I've been in denial about Schaub. We are going to look back on this time as such a colossal waste. Damn.

There's another thread on the board, "We don't look as good as the Broncos" the primary theme running throughout that thread is that this is only week 2.

I just posted a thread in which footbal outsiders (the same people who put together this list) has Andre Johnson ranked 48 out of 85 WRs. Hopefully people who view that thread will recognize that it's only week 2.

When it's all said & done, after week 17, my money is on Andre being closer to 1 than 85 (I'm thinking top 10), Schaub being closer to 1 than 32 (I'm thinking top 10), & the Houston Texans looking better than the Denver Broncos.

Schaub's DVOAs & DYARs were much better before 2012, especially in 2009 when he was 5th & 6th in them. It seems he had a foot injury...

He's not ranked in which category? You posted both his DYAr & DVOa.... they have him at 20 for QBR, which takes into account play making ability & clutch factor.... different from the NFL passer rating.

Sorry, I can see I didn't make it clear..........I was referring to his run ranking.

I've been in denial about Schaub. We are going to look back on this time as such a colossal waste. Damn.

I have enjoyed the winning. I enjoyed the San Diego and Tennessee comeback wins. Given that football spectating is about entertainment and I was entertained, I won't look back on that time as a colossal waste of time. Seems silly to me to let a game in February determine whether you enjoyed a game in September.

2 for 2 on game winning drives. Lets hope the need isnt there in the future but if need be lets not break the streak

There's another thread on the board, "We don't look as good as the Broncos" the primary theme running throughout that thread is that this is only week 2.

I just posted a thread in which footbal outsiders (the same people who put together this list) has Andre Johnson ranked 48 out of 85 WRs. Hopefully people who view that thread will recognize that it's only week 2.

When it's all said & done, after week 17, my money is on Andre being closer to 1 than 85 (I'm thinking top 10), Schaub being closer to 1 than 32 (I'm thinking top 10), & the Houston Texans looking better than the Denver Broncos.

I think it was Kris Kristofferson who sang "If you waste your time talking to the people who don't listen to the things that you are saying who do you think's gonna hear"

Agree completely TK. It's too early in this season to proclaim anything a failure or a success and that even includes Matt Schaub (maddening as that may be for many of us).

I would like to see their calculations. AJ is 7th in yards having only played 1.5 games.

I have enjoyed the winning. I enjoyed the San Diego and Tennessee comeback wins. Given that football spectating is about entertainment and I was entertained, I won't look back on that time as a colossal waste of time. Seems silly to me to let a game in February determine whether you enjoyed a game in September.

I enjoy those moments as well! I do enjoy the journey as much as anyone. My point it, we have such a glut of talent at the moment but we have a very limited individual at the most important position on the team and I am afraid that we'll look back at this era, having never made it to the big game, and wonder would could have been. That's it.

I would like to see their calculations. AJ is 7th in yards having only played 1.5 games.
Yep, and 4th in 20+ yard receptions, 1st in receptions, with no dropped passes.

Sometimes made up
emot-airquote.gif
statistics are just that... made up.

At this point, I don't give a lot of weight to the Football Outsider ranking or statistics. As the season goes on, I think the get better. IIRC, I read on there that at this point 75% of some their calculations are based off of PRESEASON performances (probably using some sort of weighted averages that require past performances.)

But there's also a bit of what they do that's a judgment call. Someone has to sit down with each play and say, "Oh, yeah. An average player would have gotten X yards on that play."

So... while I like their stuff and I think it's interesting, the bottom line is wins. At this point, we're winning and I'm loving that.

At this point, I don't give a lot of weight to the Football Outsider ranking or statistics. As the season goes on, I think the get better. IIRC, I read on there that at this point 75% of some their calculations are based off of PRESEASON performances (probably using some sort of weighted averages that require past performances.)

But there's also a bit of what they do that's a judgment call. Someone has to sit down with each play and say, "Oh, yeah. An average player would have gotten X yards on that play."

So... while I like their stuff and I think it's interesting, the bottom line is wins. At this point, we're winning and I'm loving that.

I'm not going to complain if Shane Lechler is the Superbowl MVP. :)

2 for 2 on game winning drives. Lets hope the need isnt there in the future but if need be lets not break the streak

The one thing I don't like about this is that maybe... maybe, the Texans will get a sense that they can "turn it on" when they need to. I don't know why they would have felt that way last year, but when we were going to a huddle & slow rolling down the field in the 4th against New England in the divisional round.... I was hoping they would "turn it the fck on"

My point it, we have such a glut of talent at the moment but we have a very limited individual at the most important position on the team and I am afraid that we'll look back at this era, having never made it to the big game, and wonder would could have been. That's it.

They're doing something different on the OL. Can't figure out what it is... may have to do with wider splits, but they're doing something & I think that's been an issue in our protection so far (that & Tennessee was better than we anticipated). But once we get that ironed out, & Hop, Martin, Jean, & Posey take that next step, I think we're going to see a different Matt Schaub.

Just seeing how many 3 WR sets we've been in so far, I think we're all in for a pleasant surprise.

The one thing I don't like about this is that maybe... maybe, the Texans will get a sense that they can "turn it on" when they need to. I don't know why they would have felt that way last year, but when we were going to a huddle & slow rolling down the field in the 4th against New England in the divisional round.... I was hoping they would "turn it the fck on"

They're doing something different on the OL. Can't figure out what it is... may have to do with wider splits, but they're doing something & I think that's been an issue in our protection so far (that & Tennessee was better than we anticipated). But once we get that ironed out, & Hop, Martin, Jean, & Posey take that next step, I think we're going to see a different Matt Schaub.

Just seeing how many 3 WR sets we've been in so far, I think we're all in for a pleasant surprise.

Wider splits and 3 WR sets with a weakened LT situation may also help get Schaub killed.

Wider splits and 3 WR sets with a weakened LT situation may also help get Schaub killed.

If they didn't think we were ready for it, I'm sure they wouldn't do it. They'll probably ixnay the wide split thing if Duane Brown's injury is more serious than we know right now.

I don`t want to defend or attack Schaub but - who could we have gotten along the way that is better? Suck again for a 1st round QB like Gabbert? Sign a FA like Matt Flynn? Trade for a proven veteran like Carson Palmer?

It is hard to get a franchise QB - Schaub is better than most other QBs in the league, he just is no where close to being elite. But he is the best we got and the best we could`ve possibly gotten (with the off chance of landing Manning and be in salary cap hell or the luck of getting a mid round QB gem like Wilson).

So do you really want to blow our team up to get the chance to draft a franchise QB? Or should we just say: well if Flacco got a super bowl ring, maybe Schaub can too. We have a great defense, great 2 HBs, great 2 WRs, great TEs and an okish O-Line - a QB like Schaub is enough to compete. Only time will tell, if it is enough to win it all.

His 3 interceptions in 2 games is what's killing him. :choke:
The stats don't bother me at all. Fact is, he has led the team to a 2-0 record and two thrilling come-from-behind victories so far this season. I'm actually having more faith in him going forward. If times get tough and we fall behind on the scoreboard, I no longer panic because I know Matt Schaub will lead the team back.

There is no quit in the 2013 Texans. There seems to be something special about this team that just wasn't there in the past few years. I actually have high hopes this team will reach the Super Bowl and definitely the AFC Championship. The past two years I didn't wholeheartedly believe they would advance past the divisional round.

If they didn't think we were ready for it, I'm sure they wouldn't do it. They'll probably ixnay the wide split thing if Duane Brown's injury is more serious than we know right now.

Are Oline schemes something you can just change in mid-season? Thought stuff like that relies so heavily on everyone being on the same hymn sheet that it takes the entire offseason to put into practice?

In Ryan Harris I think they have their man to replace D Brown to a passable level. From what I read brown can't be expected to be the man we know him to be due to the turf toe, I'd rather he takes it easy for a little while to try and be ready come December/January/February personally.

It's the type of injury that won't get any better playing on it and Harris, though not ideal, was good enough at RT last season to help us put up 13 wins, we can win with him in there, we won't win the Super Bowl with below par LT play later in the season though.

As for Schaub, this ranking is bull**** at this point in the season, there is no rhyme and reason to it, you wanna say 3 INTs in 2 games accounts for his low ranking? Eli sits several places above with 7. And has fewer TDs. And he's not above Schaub due to mobility either lol.

Makes me seriously doubt their rankings later in the season when the sheer weight of stats muddy the waters and it becomes less easy to question.

Away from this ranking, ill give Schaub the respect he deserves for 2 comeback wins, poise, knowledge of scheme, ability to get the ball to players not named AJ, etc right now but ill have in the back of my head how impressive he was at the start of last season.

We all know that he's susceptible to taking that one big hit at any time and then we're done for the season, I'm over the "injury prone" tag, dude just has a way of taking horrible hits which either limit his productivity, or knock him out of the game altogether. Last season I think we had a triumvirate of the lingering lisfranc issues, that shoulder injury he took, and the lack of a preseason leading to him hitting a wall down the stretch.

I think the dude can win the big one with the amount of talent around him, I'm holding my breath that he remains totally healthy because he's capable when healthy, and below average when not.

Some guys are good enough that unless the injury is unplayable, you won't see a decline in their ability to win games, it's not the case with Schaub because he's above average rather than elite.

Exactly. I watched Showtimes Inside the NFL last night and nearly got sick listening to them slobber all over Manning and Seattle placing them both in the Superbowl already. When the question came up to who can challenge Denver they all said no one. You would think morons all over would learn from last season: the Ravens were mediocre garbage until the season was halfway done. Texans, Broncos and Pats were ALL going to the Superbowl.

Today after the Richardson deal the Colts are winning the AFC South hands down.....really??

I am no longer going to try and argue my point because it gets me know where fast. You know what would put the biggest ****ing smile on my face? the Jags to win Sunday and the Raiders beat the Broncos on Monday. Not probable but oh the 180's would be glorious!

It is only week 2.

lol @ Andre Johnson being ranked so low after two games considering the two amazing games he's had.

What a pathetic, wretched, bull**** excuse for a sports analysis site. Garbage.

Yep, and 4th in 20+ yard receptions, 1st in receptions, with no dropped passes.

Sometimes made up
emot-airquote.gif
statistics are just that... made up.

lol @ Andre Johnson being ranked so low after two games considering the two amazing games he's had.

What a pathetic, wretched, bull**** excuse for a sports analysis site. Garbage.

Oh it gets better... according to this site Reggie Bush, Chris Ivory, and R. Mendenhall are better RBs than Adrian Peterson.

:mcnugget:

I like this stat;
The Texans are 22-8 in the last 30 games Matt Schaub has started for them.

Only the great and powerful Tom Brady (24-6) has a better record in the last 30 games started than Matt Schaub.

Aaron Rodgers 21-9
Matt Ryan 21-9
Peyton Manning 21-9
Drew Brees 19-11

It used to be that Schaub could throw for 4,770 yards, leading the league, and get crap because he wasn't winning. Well, now he wins and he still gets crap. This is a damn good QB that's just never going to win people over because he doesn't throw like Tom Brady or doesn't run like Colin Kaerpernick.

Speedy, he can win people over if the Texans win the Super Bowl. That's really what it all comes down to. Houston fans will praise Matt Schaub and be a fan of his for a lifetime, even after he's long retired, if he's able to deliver a Lombardi Trophy to this city.

Speedy, he can win people over if the Texans win the Super Bowl. That's really what it all comes down to. Houston fans will praise Matt Schaub and be a fan of his for a lifetime, even after he's long retired, if he's able to deliver a Lombardi Trophy to this city.

There are some people who won't give him credit even then.

There are plenty of people who will be talking about Trent Dilfer and planning QB draft picks "before the window closes."

These analytical stats crack me up. I don't think Schaub is the greatest QB, but I would probably print this crap up and wipe my butt with it if it was possible.

I like this stat;
The Texans are 22-8 in the last 30 games Matt Schaub has started for them.

Only the great and powerful Tom Brady (24-6) has a better record in the last 30 games started than Matt Schaub.

Aaron Rodgers 21-9
Matt Ryan 21-9
Peyton Manning 21-9
Drew Brees 19-11

Yeah, but.....
m1703.gif

and then...
smileys-thinking-705257.gif

so there. :kingkong:

It used to be that Schaub could throw for 4,770 yards, leading the league, and get crap because he wasn't winning. Well, now he wins and he still gets crap. This is a damn good QB that's just never going to win people over because he doesn't throw like Tom Brady or doesn't run like Colin Kaerpernick.

It's still about winning. It's just that he needs to win bigger games.

I've been convinced for awhile now that Matt Schaub is to the 2000s what Ken Anderson was to the 1970s. I'm fine with that. He's the best QB this town has seen in 20 years.

I need Matt to take us to the super bowl, though.

There will be plenty of them, especially on this board. If it were to ever happen "those people" would give credit to everyone including the water and ball boys, except him.

:facepalm:

Unfathomable. I can't even imagine anyone doing that. They haven't even seen the water boy or the ball boy play yet.:D

Through the opening two weeks, Matt Schaub has helped put the Texans into holes, then helped dig the team out. The end result is a 2-0 record. That's the stat that matters.

Through the opening two weeks, Matt Schaub has helped put the Texans into holes, then helped dig the team out. The end result is a 2-0 record. That's the stat that matters.

This has always been my problem with the "Come From Behind" or the "Game Winning Drive" sort of stat. Elway himself has said that he wouldn't have had to win so many games in the 4th quarter if he'd played better in the first three. You really don't get to be a great come-from-behind QB unless you're not playing well enough to be in front from the beginning.

My heart really prefers us to jump on someone at the beginning and keep on piling points on and expanding our lead until the end. That's just who I am.

This has always been my problem with the "Come From Behind" or the "Game Winning Drive" sort of stat. Elway himself has said that he wouldn't have had to win so many games in the 4th quarter if he'd played better in the first three. You really don't get to be a great come-from-behind QB unless you're not playing well enough to be in front from the beginning.

The sign of a true leader. He's probably not the guy who fumbled the ball to the other team, or the receiver who tipped the ball to a DB, or the OLman who missed a block....

Then again, maybe he was. But in this statement, he's taking the blame for the entire team, while accepting the credit for the 4th quarter comeback.

My heart really prefers us to jump on someone at the beginning and keep on piling points on and expanding our lead until the end. That's just who I am.

Don't we all. Even Schaub. I know it looks like he didn't really want to throw that TD & would have much rather Bullock come out for a 21 yard chip-shot, to keep it close. Or that he prefers not to convert on third down so he can watch the living legend that is Shane Lechler... but he & Tate, & OD, & Andre... even Kubiak would like to score on every possession.

Sleeper of the week.

QB Matt Schaub, HOU
Like Alex Smith, Matt Schaub also has his team on a two-game win streak to open the season. Not only is the former University of Virginia signal-caller playing well, he is the sixth-ranked fantasy QB. Aren't you glad you reached for Aaron Rodgers in the second round? In any case, Schaub's been letting it fly with a little more reckless abandon than usual. The Texans have the reputation for being a run-first and run-heavy team. Not so fast, my friend. Schaub already has 93 pass attempts, tied for second-most in the NFL. He's only attempted more than 40 passes in six games dating back to the 2010 season. Granted, Houston has played in two close games and needed to play catch-up in Week 1 against San Diego. This pace will be difficult to maintain, especially since Ben Tate and Arian Foster have only combined for 55 carries through two games. Schaub might come back to Earth since he has to face Baltimore, Seattle and San Francisco in the next three weeks. Then again, they do get to play Jacksonville twice every year so these things tend to balance out.

Back