Five Linebacker Defensive Formation vs. Bears

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by pec0sb0b, Nov 13, 2012.

1. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

After the Texans drafted Whitney Mercilus in the first round Wade Phillips mentioned he might field five linebackers at some point this season. When I read the quote by Phillips after the draft, I wondered how this formation might work and it was discussed a couple of times in the following months on this board.
    Wade Phillips did just that on Sunday night against the Bears. Micheal Wilbon mentioned it in his column on ESPN. http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8622498/chicago-bears-just-ready-nfl-elite

I'm going to assume he meant to write that the Texans' defense was so unconcerned with the Bears' passing game...

I've not heard of a defense that uses five linebackers except the 3-4 Eagle, but that formation substitutes a linebacker for the nose tackle, not a defensive back. I believe I saw five linebackers on the field on the fourth down and one in the first quarter when Quin forced Bush to fumble, but it's hard to pick out all the player numbers because of the camera angles. Perhaps we may see an all-22 breakdown later this week.

2. dsorc

dsorc Veteran

They used this formation often, namely whenever the Bears used a 2TE-2Back set. From what I saw, they took Kareem out placed Joseph on Marshall and Quin on the opposite side. For the LBers, Mercilus came in outside of Reed and usually at the LOS while Reed stayed on that side but in a more traditional 4-3 LB spot.

3. bo orlando

bo orlando Veteran

seeing barwin frequently dropping back into coverage, including covering down the field on the decisive defensive play in the 4th, was a trip. wade is certainly a rare coach.

4. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Rex Ryan uses a lot of LBs.
    Against the Texans a few years ago, I had noted in one of the game break down threads that there were times that he only had one D-lineman on the field.

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Rex uses a version of his dad's 46 defense, which leans very heavy on the blitz. Instead of dropping the safety, Rex & his brother mix it up with another LB instead. The 46 likes to put outside LBs on the same side, usually the strong side.

6. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

I saw this a ton last year, as well.