Firing the coach question

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Buffi2, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

From ESPN -
    :confused: My question is, if Detroit can fire Mariucci today, why can't we fire Capers yesterday? Goodness knows we've been humiliated on national TV......twice!:embarrass

2. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

Hah, Detriot has been humiliated on TV the past 2 Thanksgivings. And I believe Harrington has been benched the past 2 thanksgiving.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I wonder how many people will want mariucci to be the head coach here. I hope our front office doesn't try to save money and go that route with Mariucci.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

Mooch is the same caliber of coach as Capers.

Likeable guys who look good on the sideline, but haven't done much in terms of forward progress (minus the 49er days with Steve Young at the controls).

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Mooch can come in as an assistant, nothing more.

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

The bigger question is this: How much does a HC really figure into the equation of winning?

Phil Jackson of the Lakers, who was supposed to the supreme NBA coach, a god among mere mortals, doesn't look to swell right now does he?

There's a lot to be said about the Shanahans and the Phil Jacksons of this world: The coaches who were blessed with game-changing hall-of-famers on their team who could single-handedly take games onto their shoulders and win it all by themselves.

Gruden was a god, or is he? Hasn't done too well since that SB win a few years ago. And what about Brian Billick? Won a SB and now he's all but finished in Baltimore?

Very puzzling.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

That's one of the reasons we drafted him in the first place.

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Steve Smith is more valuable than Dom Davis is....tell it to Carolina too.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yep, and DD is somewhat injury prone to begin with.

10. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

so is Mathis, so if its injury we are worried about I am more worried about Mathis. Heck just put someone back there that can fair catch the thing. It isn't like most punts actually get alot of return yardage anyway.

Capers deserved to fired already. However firing him is one thing. Putting someone else in to be the Head Coach is the real question, who would that be.

I was thinking of this the other day and I had to wonder if Chris Palmer, the only other coach with Head Coaching ability wasn't fired by Capers as insurance that Capers himself wasn't fired midseason. Naaa, that couldn't have been it. I mean everyone on this board wanted Palmer fired so our offense could explode and we would for sure start winning right after that, right. hmmmm.

11. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Dang, it's still 2005. *waiting on 1/2/06. I hope a spark is lit in terms of a change.

12. ojthecat

ojthecat Veteran

I am beginning to wonder if McNair has already got our new coach in the bag. Why else would you keep Capers and Co. around? He knows that he will have to move fast once the season is over but since it would not be possible for a new coach to start until next year why fire Capers now. I really am starting to think that it is going to be Jimmy.

13. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

You know what is really funny? Some act as if Capers and co. being fired at the end of the season is a definite thing, what if it doesn't happen? Either McNair has at least an idea of who will replace Capers if he is canned or Capers will be here one more season.

14. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

That is an intriguing thought and it would make sense given the facts available, but how in the heck would they be able to keep that quiet? I also wonder how JJ could possibly keep his job at Fox and be a secret employee of the Texans. I'm actually okay with JJ. I think there are better candidates out there, but there are also far worse. I also know that JJ means no Casserly because he wouldn't leave the booth unless he had total control.

15. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

16. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Capers is gone, you can read it all over McNairs face on Sundays. Body language doesn't lie

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

WHY IN THE HE!! CAN HE ONLY RETURN KICK-OFFS AND NOT PUNTS, AS WELL?

I mean, the guy is our only threat and we only use him on 1/2 of the special teams opportunities?

And then Capers is thinking of DD at punt returner?

Sorry everybody...I'm not a coach at ANY level, but that's just about the most ignorant thing Capers could do, let alone "think" or "consider."

Good grief. (pounding the keyboard)

How is this guy even allowed through security at the front gates of Reliant? I mean, at some point doesn't there need to be an intervention from friends and family?

And to think that McNair just sits there like a stone statue in the luxury box with his arms folded and mouth puckered up in disdain....as if he's totally unable to do anything because GASP! it's mid-season?!

Start up the clown car. Order the bucket with paper confetti in it. Call up Luchio and Garpazzi and all their clown friends! We've got a full blown circus act going on here, and we need all hands on deck.

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I would like to state for the record that I did not want Chris Palmer fired and believed prior to that happening that he should have been the guy to take the reins mid-season when Dom went out the door.

I just wanted to see what Palmer would have done with this offense if he'd been able to run it the way he wanted to.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think you are reaching more than a bit but just to play around with this (strictly for fun) I think that if your scenario was correct then another reason to keep it quiet and not make a change in the middle of the season might be to keep the "stink" of this year off of Jimmy Johnson. Why would he want to step in mid-season when he can't really change anything? This year is already in motion and nothing is going to change the way it plays out. JJ would want to start fresh with a full off-season to look at the film and evaluate the players. Bringing him here mid-season and watching him helm the losers we have right now would hurt the "putting people in the seats" effect of hiring someone like JJ. It's better to wait until after the season is over.
    That's of course all fiction and I don't think anybody has been hired (or really fired) yet. It's fun to imagine though. I really want to see Johnson come here and coach.

20. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Capers has lost the team. I'm really not looking for back to back seasons like this one.