FIRE BILL O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Carr Bombed, Sep 16, 2018.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

When this thread was started the Texans were on a 3 game losing streak and a lot of the wins on the current winning streak have been more in spite of OB than because of OB. A W is a W and I'll take them, but be honest; winning by opponents missing FGs is a poor strategy for long-term success. You also have to consider the teams the Texans are facing. Not exactly cream of the crop there. Are the Texans still winning if they were playing the Rams, Chargers, Chiefs, etc.? I seriously doubt it.

I am happy that OB appears to have figured out that the OL is better at run blocking than pass pro and calls plays accordingly. I'm also ecstatic about a 9, hopefully 10, game winning streak. I don't think too many on here are "salty" (that term is so misused from how it was originally used) about which scheme is used as much as they are about the often anemic play we see on the field. I wouldn't care if Minnie Mouse was coaching the Wishbone as long as them team was getting solid wins against quality teams.

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Take into account some of of this is related to Watson coming off of ACL and playing with broken ribs/punctured lung. Especially playing behind this OL it appears BOB went conservative with his gameplans. I certainly cant blame him. Now that Watson's more healthy I expect the playbook to be opened up a little more. But dont expect the Chief/Rams/Saints offense out of this group.

Texas Jake and OptimisticTexan like this.
  3. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Why does it take him so long to figure out how to use his personnel? Why can’t he pick the correct personnel?

Buy the dude a clock.

There are times his plays are awesome, like when he uses misdirection at Watson’s skill level.

Then there’s the run up the middle everyone knows is coming and everyone knows won’t work.

He’s an enigma.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Ain't going to lie. I liked Kubiak.

I was willing to give BO'b a chance. Go back look at the threads before he actually started "coaching."

I didn't care for the way he couldn't handle the media. Like he's surprised every time they ask him a question. Then if they ask him a difficult question he blows up. He can't remember what just happened in the game with any detail.

Then I didn't like the college approach he took with the team.

Then I didn't like the way he acted like our team didn't know how to win... as if we had never been to the playoffs & won.

I didn't like his QB decisions then the way he seemed to flip flop on them... except Hoyer. It's as if he didn't have a plan.

& that's another thing. If he ever does look like he has a plan, he changes it quickly, as if he was way wrong. Don't get me wrong. I like a guy who can admit his mistakes. But so many?

But this is where we are. He is who he is. I am, & I have been for a long time, hoping he continues to get better.

5. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

I think a bunch of "atta boys" should be thrown Welker's direction as well. Look what he has done with Coutee (when he plays), and the new guy, Carter. Welker has assisted with ST's this year and that group has been WAY better. So :clap:to Mr. Welker also.

This is all I was trying to point out in the other thread. Those teams, you gotta go for the throat.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 All Pro

Can one of the anti-turtling members remind me again what BOB’s W/L record is when going into halftime with a lead?

For those complaining about us winning due to the other team missing FG’s or making questionable 4th down calls, wouldn’t coach get some credit for forcing the other team into those situations?

Just some things to think about.

7. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Not to mention on the 2 games that we lost by "missed" field goals. 1 of the field goal attempts would have been an NFL record long field goal, I don't count that as being lucky, if the other team had made it I'd consider that luck, but a 60+ yard field goal is a crap shoot. 2nd if our kicker had not missed kicks in both of those games the other team wouldn't have even had a chance to win on a last second field goal. So were they equally as lucky we had missed?

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Stop it shishkabob. Don’t u know Using the buttchin brigade’s rationale against them is against forum rules?

Fact of the matter is these folks were never going to give the guy credit for anything this team accomplished; that’s why u see all these qualifiers during this 9 game win streak....

the team is wins? 95% of the credit goes to someone else (Watson, Crennel), some entity (the defense) or some THING (dumb opposing HC, sheer luck) else.

Let the team lose though.....95% of the blame is going to BoB...never mind the defense gave up 28-35 pts....never mind this player(s) did this or that...never mind that the opposing team is just better. The way the Buttchin Brigade thinks “if he’d just called this play...we would’ve won...:rolleyes:.

The way these guys talk BoB is just some guy on the sideline with a headset a Denny’s menu of plays & a challenge flag. Everyone else on the team is doing everything else.

JB and steelbtexan like this.
  9. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

You don't see my hand or even my foot in the air, do you?

ATXtexanfan and ROO like this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I don't.

But you do realize the talent deficiencies on this team?

Getting to the playoffs with this group is an accomplishment.

Look at the ol,the,rb groups and tell me what you think about their talent level compared to the Chiefs, Pats, Steelers etc...

In fact other than Nuk the Wr group consists of Thomas and Carter who were signed off of the street and traded for.

Fuller and Coutee can't stay healthy.

Seegara, Mr teX and OptimisticTexan like this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I don't.

But you do realize the talent deficiencies on this team?

Getting to the playoffs with this group is an accomplishment.

Look at the ol,the,rb groups and tell me what you think about their talent level compared to the Chiefs, Pats, Steelers etc...

In fact other than Nuk the Wr group consists of Thomas and Carter who were signed off of the street and traded for.

Fuller and Coutee can't stay healthy.

12. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

The same teams you mentioned are also weak in some areas just not the same areas as us. Likewise we have weapons they don't, you mentioned Nuk as the only WR well yeah but that's pretty much all we've needed really. The other teams may have guys that can catch the ball, we do to, but they don't have a WR that has not dropped a single pass thrown his way that was even remotely catchable. Likewise most other teams would kill for our defense and more than a few for Watson. RB wise yeah Blue could be better but Miller is having a banner year. Those are all some serious weapons.

So yeah getting to the playoffs is an accomplishment, it is for any team, but lets not make it sound like the team doesn't have some serious talent and that the team is some great underdog story that will inspire a hallmark movie down the line. Where I credit BoB the most is keeping the team focused after going 0-3, no one in the last 20 years had made the playoffs after going 0-3 but hey look where we are. You can say that was the DC, you can say that was Gaines, you can say that was injuries healing but whatever the reason at the end of the day BoB captained the ship through the storm. Now whether he did that just to crash it on the rocks called the playoffs remains to be seen but for now it seems to be pretty smooth sailing.

So yes BoB deserves credit but to me its more for helping the team see how good they really can be rather than making them seem better than they are.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is a fair post.

But the offense isn't going to hold up during the playoffs due to the lack of talent I mentioned. Miller, isn't that the guy everyone wants replaced? Fact is if Watson Nuk can make 2-3 big plays in a playoff game the Texans will score 23 points and they can beat the lesser playoff teams scoring that much but not the upper tier teams.

The defense is very good and would be even better with 1 more above avg (Josh Norman type) CB. I hope they change their philosophy and sign Claiborne or trade for Jenkins this offseason.

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

You're not being a very good team mate....
    :peek:

thunderkyss likes this.
  15. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Bwhahaha the lack of talent comment really needs to be thrown out the damn window at this point. 9 straight wins clearly shows we have plenty of talent to compete with any team.

dream_team likes this.
  16. banned1976

banned1976 American

But what does the 9 game winning streak have to do with the HC? The disparity in answers to that question will be quite stark from this board. It’s from they’re winning in spite of O’Brien to he deserves some of the credit. I haven’t read or heard anyone say the winning streak is mainly because of BoB.

I’m back to a wait and see mode on O’Brien. Sadly though there are fans of this team waiting for the Texans to fail so they can hate on O’Brien some more. I’ll be critical of him when he deserves it but I’m hoping he limits that earned criticism to almost nothing.

Texas Jake and Mr teX like this.
  17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

You don't win 9 straight games "in spite of" a bad HC. In fact, players are more likely to open up a big can of quit on said HC if they feel they're such a detriment.

The schedule argument being used against the Texans is garbage though. For 1, as has been noted elsewhere on this forum, The Texans are at the top of the league in terms of strength of victory. At this very moment, All of the teams they've faced this year with the exception of the the Jags giants and Browns are .500 or better. That doesn't purport to change too much as we finish this final leg of the season. The other thing is where exactly are all these "quality" teams that the supposed much better Chiefs have beaten? Sure they beat the Steelers and Chargers..but we beat:

the Redskins - when they were at their best & leading the NFC east.
    The Cowboys - who now lead the NFC east
    & depending on what happens with PHI & DAL this weekend, we may end up deciding who wins that tight division when we face PHI later this year. Hell they could be leading the division by then.

Both KC and HOU have beaten DEN....& lost to NE. They're explosive offensively...we're explosive defensively. Reid is a solid offensive mind, but lets not act like BoB would be overmatched. Anyone who has watched any NFL ball over the last 20 years is well aware of Reid's shortcomings. The hype machine in Bristol and Culver City CA have you guys believing that they're waaaayyyyy better than us just b/c they score more points ppg. If they have an advantage, it ain't huge. Truth be told, it might just be the HFA that gives them the edge over us in the playoffs if we wind up facing them.

Finally here are the Final scores from 3 of the last 5 AFC championship games:

Jax: 20
    NE: 24

Den: 20
    NE: 18

NE: 16
    Den: 26

Not exactly, the Chiefs vs Rams from earlier this year.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  18. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2018/11/26/nfl-scoring-is-up-and-so-are-ratings/

You can't expect a defensive battle in a record setting offensive outlier of a season like 2018. No way. Teams will score, just a matter of keeping up until your D can make a stop. Fall behind and it's all over.

Also the SOS and SOV is not ''top of league" either. Just would hate to have people misinformed. Cool to be optimistic but all things in moderation.

http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/table/_/view/playoff

Mr teX and JB like this.
  19. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

but ahead of KC in both?

20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

There's some interesting conclusions one could jump to from that chart .. we are also right behind the Rams in SOV but I would wager the Rams are a little more battle tested. It's somewhat subjective when making sense of metrics what one can't do is rewrite data for arguments sake.

I could say the Texans are a worse 'outdoor' team from the data but they've played most games indoors. They will need to play some winter ball if they don't get a bye, but it's not to say they couldn't win those games either.

Will your stars show up when it counts? That's what it boils down to and it's why I feel so strongly in Watsons penchant for big game heroics.

Texans can play with any team they belong on the field.

Texas Jake, JB, santo and 1 other person like this.