Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

FIRE BILL O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Carr Bombed, Sep 16, 2018.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

agreed... he uses guys as he wants them to be instead of what they are

thunderkyss and Texansballer74 like this.
  2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

are you serious? LMAO you gonna call Clint Eastwoods CHARACTER a war time hero? God Almighty that is GRAND! @mws I thought it was a good analogy! Shows how leaders have to do the best with what they have instead of just running a full charge up the middle 20 times a game! LOL OMG some people on this site truly do give me the chuckles at times nice job JB!

[​IMG]

thunderkyss likes this.
  3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

The character he was portraying was a true war time hero. Not Eastwood himself of course but that don't matter to you does it?

thunderkyss likes this.
  4. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

Managing is as much art as it is science. OB is a good coach (note that I didn't say head coach or OC) but may be better suited to be a position coach. A position coach can get lost in the details. A head coach has to be able to get down in the details, too, but not get lost there...he has to always keep a bigger picture perspective. It goes back to the saying about Can't see the forest for the trees. I think that's one of OB's weaknesses. That could account for his apparent inability to see Devlin the way most of us do, or see that the flip flopping with Rankin & Davenport last year made little sense, or see that time and game management need more of his attention.

CWTexansFan and TheKDog like this.
  5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

So now this site is about the fantasy war time hero stuff? And accusing others who dont agree about being 'anti fantasy war time hero MAGA munching flag burners? LMAO. Too funny.

[​IMG]

CWTexansFan likes this.
  6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

fantasy? You think the Korean war was fantasy?

7. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I don't think he really ever developed past QB coach in NE. He got that OC title for one year, then he went to Penn State because Belichick wanted McDaniels back.

thunderkyss likes this.
  8. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

And none of us think he was really pulling the strings as OC in New England. You're making the point that he really wasn't seasoned enough before becoming HC here. I agree. But I think it also runs deeper than that. Few folks are mentally equipped to see the forest and the trees with equal clarity...at the same time. We see OB on the sideline...he's really getting into play calling (and he's not especially good at that, either), but that's what gets his blood flowing. He's more of a lost in the details guy. He loses his feel for the forest.

CWTexansFan and TheKDog like this.
  9. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

JB you're taking a damn make believe MOVIE about a true event and twisting and turning it to suit your argument "not a good analogy" to a guy using a line from a movie from a make believe character that fought in a war? Cmon man you're better than this.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I still think using a war time character a bad analogy for a football coach. Never said OB was good at his job, but c'mon man.

CWTexansFan likes this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Lol who are u ...or we as fans to say whether guys are being used right though? Why are u as an outsider who doesn’t work with these guys on a daily basis more qualified to say whether or not a guy is being used and or evaluated properly?

CWTexansFan and Texansphan like this.
  12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Did you think Rankin starting at LT and moving Davenport to RT was a good idea? Do you think Lamar Miller up the middle is the best use of his skills? Should we use Watt in the redzone?

Uncle Rico likes this.
  13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Given how bad Davenport was playing at LT at the time, it couldn’t have gotten any worse trying Rankin at LT ...a position he played in college and was most comfortable at..and a guy with more overall talent than the incumbent.

Running Lamar Miller up the middle has been the best way to keep him involved in the offense and the running game viable when u can’t set the edge for off tackle stuff b/c your tackles/o-line has been trash. Still, the Dude was able to rip off a 95 yd TD and when u look at it from a statistical standpoint, he’s been putting up numbers very close to his career year in Miami.

Using JJ in the offense that year didn’t hurt us not 1 bit..it actually helped. Don’t see how u can see this as a bad thing.

Regardless, you expect this dude to be perfect in his decisions about everything & that’s just not realistic.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

results tell the tale

points to 11-5 in 5... 4... 3... 2...
    :D

Mr teX and Texansphan like this.
  15. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Just proves we’ll go on for 175 pages about anything.

16. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

You would have to give credit to OB for winning 9 straight after a potential catastrophic 0-3 start. Iow, he adjusted and turned it around.

Mr teX and CWTexansFan like this.
  17. mws

mws Rookie

Last year was the best record O'Brian has achieved and even then he was unable to win even half of the games against winning teams.

Record against teams over 500 in 2018:
    3/4 .429

Until he can consistently challenge the better teams we are just spinning our wheels & wasting valuable years of our best players career.

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I'm not sure who should get the 'credit' at this point.... right now I'm thinking the vet players sucked it up and played harder and brought the rest with 'em. but I can't prove that either. :shrug:

19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I don't care how you spin OB, his record with the Texans reeks of mediocrity. Not horribly bad, not really that great, just mediocre. If that's what you like, then you have your coach.

TexansFight, TheKDog and ObsiWan like this.
  20. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Wel there are objective ways to look at it too.
    For example:-
    1. last season was our shiny new qbs 2nd year. His next I think will see even more maturity.
    2. Our oline has been turrible, but showed a glimmer of improvement towards the end od of last season.
    3. Our running game left a lot to be desired last season - partly due to #2.
    4. Our secondary play was not as good as the previous year.
    I would have to say there is more reason to be optimistic than the opposite.

Texansballer74 and CWTexansFan like this.