FIRE BILL O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Carr Bombed, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

He's been hitting those throws all season with pressure, it was just bad timing for him to have an off game. **** happens, I can't blame the play calling when a receiver is open and the QB doesn't throw an accurate ball.

2. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I think it's interesting Cosell and others want to frame the discussion about the offense sucking in terms of Watson being a young, struggling QB instead of the fact that O'Briens offense has always looked like this.

Watson has areas to improve on, but he was very good most of the year and absolutely was not the problem.

Just use this simple logic: the offense was bottom 10 but Watson was not. Watson played more like a top 10 QB.

If you are expecting Watson to carry a poor ol, poor TEs, and poor rbs with a poor OC, then I think that's unfair to him.

Mangler and thunderkyss like this.
  3. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

It's possible he had an off game because obrien doesn't prepare the team properly for the playoffs

4. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Did you even read or listen to what he said? Because the only thing you got right was he said Watson is young. He never said he is struggling, he said he was young and learning and no he didn't put the offense sucking on Watson either. He pointed out the obvious that our offense has a bunch of holes, bad line, mediocre RB, 2 rookie TEs, only 1 reliable receiver

He never blamed Watson, he gave credit to both O'Brien and Watson for leading this team to 9 straight wins, and a playoff birth despite serious roster limitations..... but you'd probably know that if you bothered to read it

5. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Well even if it's just the bad peronnel excuse, that's not what people were saying before the season. this was finally going to be the year obrien show what his offense could do now that he finally has a good QB.

Also, O'Brien wanted most of these guys on offense.

6. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

The people saying that stuff before the seasons are fans, short for fanatic. Idk if you have realized this fans can be delusional homers sometimes. Just because guys on this board were thinking we were going to win the SB because Watson is MJ in cleats, doesn't mean it was realistic.

and you could argue O'Brien shares responsibility for the talent or lack thereof and I won't argue with you there. But we have a new GM, it's only been 1 off season of him trying to remake our roster, hopefully he listens and works with Bill but has the balls to tell him to shut up when it's needed. Gaine has a pretty good scouting pedigree, I hope he trusts what he sees more than what Bill see's, but still gets players that work inside the system.

Mr teX and CWTexansFan like this.
  7. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Not sure that the expert consensus was the offense would still suck with Watson starting all year.

8. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Then those people weren't being realistic IMO. People knew the line was going t be really bad, our only reliable receiver on roster was Hopkins. I guess people expected Fuller to stay healthy and that would be the biggest variable there but he didn't stay healthy like usual. But outside of that all we had on offense were rookies and a mediocre RB

Mr teX and CWTexansFan like this.
  9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I'm with most of your take in this thread. If people can't see the poor coaching on top of the talent & injury issues, they just don't want to see it.

But he changed his OL at halftime because two of the 5 got hurt.

10. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I believe you need to go back and listen to Cosell again...................nowhere did he say that.

Mr teX, Texas Jake and JB like this.

11. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Just to clarify, Cosell said Watson leaves the pocket too early. My opinion is that it's due to bad coaching

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Shocking

Mr teX likes this.
  13. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

That's true. What I was referring to was playing Rankin at LT and moving to Davenport at RT, which was disastrous and he didn't correct until later. (I erroneously remember Davenport starting the season at RT)

14. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Well it's his job to develop Watson. He can't only take credit for the good things.

Also, O'Briens poor ol and poor blocking TEs contributed to it

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Coming off an ACL and puncturing a lung to the point of having to catch a bus to Jacksonville and Fuller getting hurt could've had something to do with this. That and the OL sucking.

JB and CWTexansFan like this.
  16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Watson has talked about how he's developed. Fix the OL and you will get the best from Watson. Another deep threat WR wouldn't hurt at all either.

Mr teX likes this.
  17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

He got the punctured lung because obrien mangled the ol. Took half the year for him to figure out who should start.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Or maybe the OL just sucked.

I'm sure that's on BOB too,

Or maybe the talent just wasn't there on the OL last season like I said before the season started.

Mr teX likes this.
  19. CloakNNNdagger

That's a far cry from anything Cosell said or implied in his interview. In the post I responded to, you attributed your opinion to Cosell.

20. CloakNNNdagger