Finally, a good VY article--

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Nighthawk, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Some things that have stood out at me:

And then:
    Who really doesn't have a dog in this race........ .. well, he does have those two #1s... I can see him giving up 2 #1s for Vince.

and this one:
    Not really. You've got your triplets........ now you need a starting 5

3. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

He does have his son, Kyle Shanahan former 'Horn and Texans quality control guy. I don't think that makes his opinion biased at all, really no posturing to be done there. VY in Denver would be scary, Shanahan is a risk taker. Don't think they could get up here, but he's one of those coaches who would be a good fit for VY. Seems like Kubes would be too.

4. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Good article but no new information, and it still clings sadly to the prospect of VY in a Texans uniform. Call me mean, but it ain't happening.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Mean. :cool:

6. stonedtexansfan

stonedtexansfan Rookie

While I like VY, I dont even think he is the best QB coming out of the state of Texas this year, and a former all-pro safety agrees. McNeal is a faster, better throwing QB. Had more running yards than VY, in each of the past 3 years. His throwing yards are down, but you dont throwin in a option offense enough to get yards. 3 of the top 4 wide recievers went down. What would have VY done without Thomas Sneed and Cosby? Nottin the same as McNeal did with his recievers. When playin with good recievers and against top tier corners, he was 9-11 for 212 yards and the East-West Shrine. Lead 4 drives, and scored on each of them while throwin the game winning TD. If McNeal went to austin and VY had gone to college station, McNeal would be a top 5 pick and VY hoping to make it on the first day.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

And where would Lienart be if he went to A&M??

8. stonedtexansfan

stonedtexansfan Rookie

Leinert is too hard to say, he wouldnt have ran the option offense that McNeal went thro this year. The biggest asset of Leinert is his leadership and accurracy. He only lost 2 games in 3 years, and i know VY only lost twice to OU and dazzled at the Rose Bowl twice and is a top-tier QB hes just the 3rd QB on my board behind Leinert and McNeal.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

East-West Shrine game is full of second day picks and free agents. Did he perform yes, but if you buy that then you must give props to VY as well for doing what he did.

McNeal may be a value pick early day 2, but the kid has more question marks for the next level than the Riddler.

10. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

the dixie chicken.

11. stonedtexansfan

stonedtexansfan Rookie

The East/West shirne had a better defense than VY faced at the Rose Bowl. The OSU defense that VY beat is better, and that was his best game considering compotion. The USC defense was beat up and overmatched while the Buckeye defense had the athletes to keep Vince in check. Playin against 2nd day picks is better than playin against undrafted free agents like the USC secondary is gonna be.

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

That's right keep telling yourself that. McNeal could not live up to the hype in his collegiate career. Moreover, in the eyes of those that matter in the NFL, they cannot agree on what position he is.

You may want to hop into and a time machine and go back to 2001. The VY/McNeal debate was more relevant at that time.

13. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

geez... stonedtexansfan lay off the pot my man

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Wow, wouldn't say that is anything close to true. There was a legitimate debate going on as to who was better going into last season. Let's look at what they were just coming off of:

McNeal 58.1% comp., 2791 yds, 8.1 ypa, 14 TD's, 4 INT's, 137.4 QB rating, 718 rushing yards, 4.8 ypa and 8 TD's. (That would be within the same area code as the mythical 3000/1000 yd season from VY this year).
    VY 59.2% comp., 1849 yds, 7.4 ypa, 12 TD's, 11 INT's, 128.4 QB, rating, 1079 rushing yds, 6.5 ypa, 14 TD's.

This past season VY stepped up his game tremendously while McNeal's game fell off. There is clear separation now, but the waters were murky a year ago IMO.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If you felt that McNeal was that good going into the season or you bought into the hype about him, especially Herbstreit pumping him, then I could see how you would say that was anything close to true.

I have never thought McNeal was an NFL caliber QB, but indeed a NFL caliber talent. At the beginning of the year I thought VY was a better candidate to be an NFL QB and would be a 1st day pick if he came out. It was not until 3/4 through the season that I thought VY was a first round pick.

16. exclude

exclude Veteran

17. infantrycak

Personally, I had doubts about both of them going into last season--I generally am not a big running QB guy. I sat around in a room full of UT fans before last season and there was a debate going on about whether VY was going to be an NFL QB. Like I said, VY completely elevated his game this year while McNeil.

JMO it is revisionist to act like there was a consensus on VY prior to the 2005 season.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

18. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Infantry, you say mythical: having not bothered to check the widely reported but now disputed stat line, did he not run 3000/1000?

19. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

maybe he meant legendary instead of mythical .... legendary like Sam Houston, William Travis, Daniel Boone, Vince Young, ....

20. infantrycak

I just botched what I was trying to say. What I meant was "of mythic proportions." He did so playing in the same conference (there goes the weak Pac-10, WAC arguments), on a weaker team (is anyone really going to contend A&M is up to UT's standards right now?).