Final Verdict: Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ryan, Aug 29, 2010.

?

#2 Receiver

1. Kevin Walter

46 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Jacoby Jones

58 vote(s)
    55.8%
  1. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Since i doubt we will see either one against Tampa this thursday, who do you think should be our #2 across from Dre? Kevin Walter might have better hands, arguably, but does not have the same big play ability that Jacoby brings. Jacoby's routes have been vastly improved and combined with AJ, would be an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses. Regardless of who the starter on paper is, i think we will see plenty of both of them during the season.

So who shall it be?

2. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I think they're 2a and 2b. In different situations and different packages, they'll both be utilized as the #2.

It's a really nice situation to be in.

3. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I think they'll both get a lot of time on the field, and I wouldn't argue against either one as the #2 guy, but I think it will be Walter (at least early in the season) by virtue of his blocking, and his incumbency.

As I alluded to in my first sentence, I'm not sure the distinction as to who's the #2 guy and who's #3 will matter all that much this year.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think Walter will see more plays in the base offense (2 WR sets). But, Jones will receive an equal or greater amount of targets.

5. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

I know that Walter has been the 2a in the past but I have been seeing alot about Jones lately. He seems to be showing what they have expected from him the last couple of years. Nothing against Walter he has been a solid 2a but I think that if Jones can get it toghther he can surpass Walter to be the
    2a.

6. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Is Walter a slot receiver?

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Walter's not shifty, like a Wes Welker. He's a big WCO type who can postion himself on slants and curls. But, he's sneaky fast enough to get behind press coverage that's too aggressive. I like Walter, and I'm glad the Texans re-signed him. He just doesn't have the big play, YAC ability that Jacoby has.

8. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

let them split time again. JJ will get enough touches between that, 3 wr sets & pr's and we wont be exposed to his horrendous run blocking as often as if he played all 2 wr sets

9. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

sums it up. walter a prototypical #2 but jj should excell in the slot. blocking has alot to do with walter being #2 as well.

Hardcore Texan likes this.
  10. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I chose walter, but only because it looks like JJ is doing punts again

11. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Walter!! Doesn't give me an many heart palpatations as JJ!! Have to admit though that JJ is holding on to the ball a little better this year. He still makes me have that "oh sheeeeet" feeling!!

12. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I'm a K-Dub guy, because he blocks, and is clutch. However JJ is coming up fast. I think we'll see JJ out on the field a lot more in place of DA this year.

If OD is healthy, putting him, AJ, and JJ on the field at the same time will make it tough on the opposing DB's for sure!!!!!!

JJ's contract is gonna be tough to get done the way it looks......

13. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

Walter-with JJ as a 2.1/b or what ever.
    Walter blocks better so he'll be seeing more time.
    But I'm sure if JJ keeps it up he'll be seeing more time on the field and will have the time to change my mind.

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

IF Jacoby Jones balls this year and just plays outside his mind, then YES it will be a tough decision for the Texans management.

IF he goats it out there, and just makes too many drops and it gets to his head, then we will let him walk. IMO.

Dorin Dickerson will have had a year under his belt, and would likely be groomed for JJ's spot if we let him walk. Or we could go WR in first round if we stink it up this year and therefore get a mid-rounder in the 1st.

We have options, but I honestly think JJ is going to catch 80+, have at least 7 receiving TDs, 1 punt return TD, lots of big punt returns that get us down the field, and solidify himself as a starting WR here.

I was calling for this all last year. In all honesty, the guy was ready last year but Kubiak stayed with his pal Anderson too much. Watch David Anderson after he catches the ball: He is almost always tackled immediately afterward. JJ catches the ball and gets YAC consistently. You GOT to put that on the field. Would Anderson out-catch JJ? Yes. But the advantage is to JJ because of what he does with the passes he catches--He just gets downfield, in a hurry. He makes DBs look stoopid out there.

15. Rey

Rey Guest

Pretty much. I think that is the ideal situation.

Walter is the more complete receiver as far as blocking and being reliable.

Jacoby is the more explosive receiving target.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

We may unveil a number of plays with 3 and 4 wideouts and with a TE in there as an Hback (without Vonta) that can either block or act as a 5th receiver. The possibilities will certainly be numerous.

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

JJ makes big plays. Walter makes some big plays, but he more frequently makes big plays happen for others. I'd take Walter over JJ in our current situation, given that JJ is going to see the field a lot. Personally, I think we'll be in 3WR a lot.

18. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I agree about the 3 WR sets. It seems like we had a good deal of success running out of that formation as well during the preseason. Hopefully that continues during the regular season.

19. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

K W is solid between the 20's moving the chains and making thoes clutch 3rd downs JJ is well a exciting player

he did drop 2 plays thrown his way tho in the dallas game we cant have that so KW is #2 me thinks

20. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

I'm with you on that...against the Titans it might be Walter and against the Colts it may be JJ. They would just matchup different against different teams IMO. I do think that JJ overall is the bigger threat since he is returning kicks.