Favre Thread - Traded to Jets

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by ChampionTexan, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

So what do you do now if you're the Packers?

2. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Retirement can't even save you from the Madden curse..........seriously this is getting unreal.

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'm beginning to agree!

The thing I truly don't understand is why would he want to play for another team. The odds are any team that would need his services likely sucks anyway.

IMO, the Vikings and Tampa would really be the only two he might be able to take deep in the PO's.

drewmar74 likes this.
  5. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

Titans and let Young sit on the bench another season. :thinking:

Everyone gets a ring everyone is happy ... less the Texans. :gun:

6. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

But I thought VY was a winner and he could do it all by himself.
    Actually VY is not a winner he is a :hobie:

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Release for nothing? He is crazy.

If I were the GB brass I would give it to him in another four months - equitable in that he waited that long to change his mind. Moreover, I would put in conditions that the NFC is off-limits and perhaps even look who is in the AFC rotation for who the NFC North plays next year and not allow him to go to any of those teams either. Crazy is, as crazy does.

This is finance, not the warm and fuzzies anymore.

drewmar74 likes this.
  8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

Those words have not come out of my mouth. I have said that the team wins with him but never him alone.

Come on you know if he came here you would shat a brick. That would also mean we had back to back Madden covers.

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Chicago would make a lot of sense. If the defense can get healthy again and with the addition of Forte being able to run the ball effectively could get them back to the team they were when they made it to the SB. Brett Favre or ..... Rex Grossman? Not much there.

I feel for GB management. They can't keep dealing with the retirement question every year TC rolls around and rightfully feel the need to move on after what they felt was it. If they do grant him his release it looks very likely not only could he still be in the NFC but a division foe.

10. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

So if it's finance, why do you keep him around until his 8-figure annual salary becomes guaranteed before you release him? Also, how do you propose getting him to agree to those conditions - what leverage do you have?

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I like Favre, but this is getting goofy.

And he's tempting fate! I know he probably hated to end his career on an INT, but at least retiring after an NFC Championship game is better than being forced to end your career because of injury.

yeah, that would be good for the confidence of a young QB. :ok: or maybe not...

But I wouldn't care if he was a Titan. Mario would probably find it easier to catch Favre than Young anyway.

12. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

QFT, all three points.

I just can't see him really going anywhere outside of his division where his services would be an upgrade AND he would be playing on a contender. Minnesota, Chicago.... maybe Carolina but do you really think Delhomme is going to sit quietly on the bench?

I dunno. This whole deal is a mess. I wish he'd just sit down and not pull a Johnny Unitas / Joe Namath / Joe Montana.

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

His 11.4 salary cap number is off the books regardless as of April when he went on the reserve-retirement list. He has no leverage and stated what he wants. The entity who controls his rights now has all the leverage by granting the unconditional release under x, y, z, especially in the court of public opinion.

Favre's agent still has not requested for him to be re-instated with the NFL office. That is why I would act fast and have an equitable offer on the table. If he gets re-instated then the Packers I believe would have to assume the salary cap hit, but then what kind of value is that to any of them in a trade as no one will assume that contract and we will back to where we were a few months ago and Favre goes down in history with a somewhat less shiny reputation.

14. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

If I am Packer fan and they won't let him come back I am FURIOUS!!!

drewmar74 likes this.
  15. c5demon

c5demon Rookie

Any chance we can bring him here and split downs with Matt? It would cause HAVOC on opposing defense.Ticket sales would go thru the roof!

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

If I'm the Pack, I bring him back and make him hold a clipboard and teach Rodgers. If he can't handle that, he can stay in Mississippi.

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

What he really just needs to do is just sit his ass down somewhere. i mean damn i'm so sick of watching NFLTA & them asking every single guest if they think favre is coming back..... & then digging for any little source & trying to make a story out of it. "this it what favre's barber had to say......"

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Ticket scalping would go though the roof as ticket sales are fine. It would increase our cap and cause disharmony in the locker room.

19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

That's what i think needs to happen, there's just the little matter of 12 million dollars for a back up Qb issue....

20. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Signing Bonuses to be repaid and such. Hit him in the wallet. The guy has serious issues.

My spideysense says he's going to get hurt this year...