FAs Might Just Blow Up Our Leverage

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texan in Japan, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

As Brees flirts with NO and Ramsey is courted by NYJ, I'm beginning to fear that some of these FA moves will hurt our leverage. In addition, if Duante Culpepper is traded, his move may also weaken our trade options. Not much we can do, but hope the NO, TEN and NYJ don't pick up a QB and really want Linehart or...

2. Scooter

Scooter Funky

what i find funniest with the situation is that noone in the top 5 even wants the "BEST PLAYER EVER!!11!1!!!!". if NO signs brees, they want Hawk. the titans are eyeing cutler and young (they're rebuilding quick fast & in a hurry ... they want the next prodigy). the jets couldnt be more excited about mario replacing abraham. the pack, although might be interested in RB, wouldnt pass up d'brick at 5, even for bush, after last year's o-line woes. the niners would love bush, they'd be the only legit trade partners for the "BEST PLAYER EVER!!111!1!!!". oakland would wet themselves if leinhart, young, or cutler fell, and one will ... easily. the bills go huff at 8 obviously. lions grab whichever qb falls ... no brainer. cards are a wild-card ... davis is still there, ngata, justice, & white are available and each would be a significant upgrade.

i find it funny more than anything. we're the one who needs a runningback least of the top drafting teams, and IMO have almost zero leverage with as it stands in that area ... but according to the fans & media (who are always right) he's the only one worth drafting. hell lets draft reggie ... noone else will lol!

ps. dont quote me, i'm hammered :redtowel:

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

again :confused: :heh: :)

49 days to go and we can put this all to rest, right now I would suggest bed.

4. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

lots of water, and advil

5. YoungTexanFan

O, and if your gona go drive, carry mustard packets with you. It masks your breath. :ok:

6. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

With everyone having a good bit of money to spend many teams will address needs in FA. They will also look to the draft to improve positions. Right now I am thinking Mario or Bush as our number 1 and if we can somehow go down a couple of spots and still get Mario then we are the biggest winners in this draft.

7. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i agree coach ... anyone in the 3-6 range is sitting on gold, and if we can find a way to trade into that area we're sitting on dynamite. my concern is that the "rumored" qb signings will entirely deflate the value of the #1 pick. the leverage we had with this pick was qb's, not reggie bush (although he is the coolest ... and coolest wins games). if we draft d'brick or mario at 1 we're going to annoy fans, but if we could sneak in at very least an extra 3rd round pick and still have that option, we'd have the best draft in the next decade (hopefully). the only team i see willing to make the trade however is the niners (unless i'm off and they're missing a few picks).

... mustard doesnt work, trust me. drink responsibly.

beerlover ... lol hell i deserve cookies on my restraint regarding the MLS situation

8. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Scooter my problem with the trade with the niners is that we would miss out on Mario. I dont want Ferguson, but Mario is a big time player. Think the hype of Courtney Brown, but with the talent to be successful. I think if we trade down to 6 we are looking pretty much at Hawk, Huff, or Vernon Davis and that just not thrill me at all.

9. Scooter

Scooter Funky

missing on mario and d'brick would break my heart, no doubt about that. i'd feel better though once the texans announced hawk, winston, & another 2nd + 3rd were in our crosshairs. we have the incredibly impossible. the first pick in the deepest draft in years. we could address our biggest weakness (o-line) with potential starters in every round and still have an over abundance in draft picks. with an additional second, 2 thirds, and compensation picks, we could easily hit LB (rocky), DE (dumervil), DB (minter), and load the entire rest of the draft defensively. (and draft one of the TE who falls to second day which is unavoidable).

edit: i'm not sure where you find a fault in hawk. the top LB coming out this year being drafted to the most weak LB core in the NFL.

10. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

:coffee: Works for me.

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Imagine if we had one more game we would be sitting pretty at #3 as I recalled it would have shaken out. We would be guaranteed either Bush, Ferguson, Williams or Hawk and all at a very good value. Once losing becomes habitual it becomes systemic in that you will constantly be in positions that are not easily manageable or fruitful. Margins of success become slimmer and risk is enticing for short term gain. We should have won more games.

12. Scooter

Scooter Funky

lightweight :stirpot:

13. YoungTexanFan

haha, i can keep up you scooter.

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

lol ... unless it's concerning lil shanahan, this is entirely the wrong conversation for a public forum.

but your more than welcome to try! :ouch:
    (if you're of age of course)

15. YoungTexanFan

What does lil shanahan have to do with this???

yea, we should probally stop this convo on this forum.

16. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

The Saints wouldn't take Hawk at #2, they'd either take Ferguson (their OLine needs some help too) or else they'd trade down (maybe with the Raiders) and look for Hawk or whoever else there.

17. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I think this MB would be appropriate for your topic. :)

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/bbs/

18. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I was just thinking that FA could actualy help our leverage. If NO doesnt get a FA QB and we fill some of our needs like DE(weaver) then the value of Mario Williams goes down. So IMO the weaver signing could seriously help us in the draft.

19. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

Pick up Josh McCown!!!!:stirpot:

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

At first blush, that would make more sense than Sage, but I just don't know enough about Sage to really say.